The Student Room Group

OCR A 2016 Chemistry A* A-Level Resources

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zacharyboi
Hi, does anyone have any notes on the new specification for OCR A (post 2016)? Im currently doing AS Chemistry and am struggling.

What are you struggling with? I can help if theres a specific question you have :smile:.
I plan to augment my notes in the future, but finding free time is proving difficult.
Original post by ForgottenApple
What are you struggling with? I can help if theres a specific question you have :smile:.
I plan to augment my notes in the future, but finding free time is proving difficult.

I struggle with calculations, like when stoichiometry comes up I get confused. To be honest, there is nothing really in particular but I still end up getting C's somehow and organic chemistry worries me.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the notes :h:
What did you find hardest about F324?
What are you doing at uni?
Original post by zacharyboi
I struggle with calculations, like when stoichiometry comes up I get confused. To be honest, there is nothing really in particular but I still end up getting C's somehow and organic chemistry worries me.

Thanks for the reply!

I think that might be your problem, "somehow", find out exactly why you got a C on your last test and focus on those areas for improvement. Keep doing this and trust me your grades will increase!
Anyone can get an A.

1. No Music
2. Do Past Paper
3. Mark Past Paper
4. While marking paper what did you get wrong
5. Record score
6. Do you understand why you got it wrong?
7. Next paper, repeat.
8. Track all recorded scores on excel, they should trend upwards, if not return to step 6.

Chemistry is without a doubt the hardest A level you will be doing, so rise the challenge and spend the time to understand the content. (AND memorize the stuff you need to like definitions too).

Do you think a level chemistry is harder than a level maths?x :smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Do you think a level chemistry is harder than a level maths?x :smile:

I would say so, but that's only based on my own personal experience. That and I don't know many people at Uni that got an A* in chemistry, but many have one in maths.

Of course it may or may not be the same for you.
Original post by Ze Witcher
Thanks for the notes :h:
What did you find hardest about F324?
What are you doing at uni?

Your're very welcome : )
I think I was surprised by the breadth of the module, given it was comparatively small.
Chemical Engineering at Manchester :P
Your're very welcome : )
I think I was surprised by the breadth of the module, given it was comparatively small.
Chemical Engineering at Manchester :P

First of all, thank you for this amazing thread, it really has been a life saver! Secondly, did you ever think of going to "better" Unis like Cambridge/Imperial because you definitely had the grades for them! Thirdly, what do you want to do after uni and how is the course at Manchester as I have an offer from them for chem eng!
Original post by timster32
First of all, thank you for this amazing thread, it really has been a life saver! Secondly, did you ever think of going to "better" Unis like Cambridge/Imperial because you definitely had the grades for them! Thirdly, what do you want to do after uni and how is the course at Manchester as I have an offer from them for chem eng!

Yep, I interviewed at Cambridge but did not receive an offer which sucked! Manchester was my next choice so I put that as my firm scoring a nice award on entry :biggrin:.

Pure process engineering probably, in whatever is most interesting (or pays well haha). Difficult to pinpoint exactly, its good but like everything has its shortcomings.
Yep, I interviewed at Cambridge but did not receive an offer which sucked! Manchester was my next choice so I put that as my firm scoring a nice award on entry :biggrin:.

Pure process engineering probably, in whatever is most interesting (or pays well haha). Difficult to pinpoint exactly, its good but like everything has its shortcomings.

Ahh that's a shame, do you live locally I.e near Manchester? And I heard about that cash reward for 3A*s is it? How much is that anyway? Are you doing a four year course and if so, have you had any luck in getting placements as I'm ur in your second year?
I would say so, but that's only based on my own personal experience. That and I don't know many people at Uni that got an A* in chemistry, but many have one in maths.

Of course it may or may not be the same for you.

Yes, I agree with you (through what I have experienced so far!)x :smile:
Does anyone have a list of practicals we should know for the ORR exam? (Both AS + A2) many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh that's a shame, do you live locally I.e near Manchester? And I heard about that cash reward for 3A*s is it? How much is that anyway? Are you doing a four year course and if so, have you had any luck in getting placements as I'm ur in your second year?

Yea I live relatively near so that was a factor in choosing Manchester. I'm on the four year industrial placement course. Yea I have my third year is going to be with GSK 😁.
Yea I live relatively near so that was a factor in choosing Manchester. I'm on the four year industrial placement course. Yea I have my third year is going to be with GSK 😁.

Were you a student helper on one of the "interview" days, you remind me of a guy who was there talking to us prospective students at lunch? Well done on that, GSK is pretty big so you've done well! How hard is it to get an industrial placement, I'm guessing extra curriculars aren't that important?
Were you a student helper on one of the "interview" days, you remind me of a guy who was there talking to us prospective students at lunch? Well done on that, GSK is pretty big so you've done well! How hard is it to get an industrial placement, I'm guessing extra curriculars aren't that important?

Only if you're taking about yesterday, otherwise it wasn't me but yes I do help on those days 😁

Nah wrong probably more important tbh, all about proving you have competencies like teamwork which is usually best demonstrated with extra curriculars
Only if you're taking about yesterday, otherwise it wasn't me but yes I do help on those days 😁

Nah wrong probably more important tbh, all about proving you have competencies like teamwork which is usually best demonstrated with extra curriculars

Oh no sorry aha my mistake! Oh cool didn't know that.
Reply 456
Thank you so much. I really appreciate this, I'll be doing everything you have recommended. :smile:

Anyone can get an A.

1. No Music
2. Do Past Paper
3. Mark Past Paper
4. While marking paper what did you get wrong
5. Record score
6. Do you understand why you got it wrong?
7. Next paper, repeat.
8. Track all recorded scores on excel, they should trend upwards, if not return to step 6.

Chemistry is without a doubt the hardest A level you will be doing, so rise the challenge and spend the time to understand the content. (AND memorize the stuff you need to like definitions too).
Hey thanks a lot for this, do you think I shouod learn the standar answers prior to doing papers?
Hi guys, I've got a question. I'm so sorry it might be a stupid question. O the spec a free radical has been defined as ' A species with an unpaired electron'. Group 1 metal atoms have an unpaired electron, why are they not considered as free radicals?
Can't find the memrise app on iOS, only one seems to focus on learning a language??

Quick Reply

Latest