The Student Room Group

OCR A 2016 Chemistry A* A-Level Resources

Scroll to see replies

Hey can someone explain why on the mark scheme it says you have to do conc/mr
How would you answer the first part of the Question?
I understand what to do after but the first part according to mark scheme is confusing me
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455631049.384472.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
The reason why you use the formula you quoted is because the mass that is given in the question has units gdm^-3 instead of grams (g).
anyone else find f325 Acids, Bases and Buffers module the most disgusting? -__-
Original post by tcameron

Yes. It's a pain in the fxcking backside.
Original post by phdparker
Yes. It's a pain in the fxcking backside.

Nah it's chill just do a few of the problems.

Is that AS or A2?
how do you explain whether or not a reaction is possible with Sn4+ and I-.
Original post by Yesitisi
Is that AS or A2?

A2
Original post by ForgottenApple
Nah it's chill just do a few of the problems.

I've been doing past questions on this module, and on the mark scheme of some a question asked to find the concentration of a molecule, they calculate concentration by multiplying a random number by the number of moles of the molecule.
So confused as I thought concentration was always moles÷volume
Reply 89
Has anyone tried doing AQA or Edexcel yet ?
I've been doing past questions on this module, and on the mark scheme of some a question asked to find the concentration of a molecule, they calculate concentration by multiplying a random number by the number of moles of the molecule.
So confused as I thought concentration was always moles÷volume

Find the question. I'll explain anything you can't do.
Original post by Danllo
Has anyone tried doing AQA or Edexcel yet ?

I did, by about this time. You're going to want to supplement any extra work you can, if you're working towards the top grade it's all about maximizing practice, by using other boards questions of course, but keep your eye on the prize. Don't burn through all of OCR content before moving to another board, DO THEM IN PARALLEL. Exam technique is a huge % of the mark, and trust me it can cost you a grade. It's all well and good knowing the chemistry which practice brings but remember you're passing an exam aswell, specifically OCR's.

I just had a look at my past paper spreadsheet and I did every single OCR paper twice, tracked at least. So if you're serious about getting close to 100% it might be a good idea to do all now, move onto other boards, then returning for a second run at OCR when you've forgotten them in a couple months.
Original post by ForgottenApple
Find the question. I'll explain anything you can't do.

The question isn't exactly on pH but I don't see how I'm getting this wrong.
Q:
A chemist checked the concentration of aqueous calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, in the sewage water by titration with 5.00x10-3 moldm-3 hydrochloric acid.
Ca(OH)2 + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + 2H2O
The chemist titrated 25cm3 of the sewage watee with 21.35cm3 of HCl to reach the end point of the titration. Calculate the concentration in moldm-3 of the calcium hydroxide in the sewage water.
hey, just found this thread and opened up a few links and physicsandmathtutor is amazing!! it has amasing condensed notes for each topic ! I do the new WJEC spec Wales so we don't have a lot of resouces (the text book sucks) we use chemical ideas 3.1 textbook in class and my tech loves OCR! u have just saved me !! thank you sooooo much !!
Reply 94
[QUOTE=ForgottenApple;62946525]I did, by about this time. You're going to want to supplement any extra work you can, if you're working towards the top grade it's all about maximizing practice, by using other boards questions of course, but keep your eye on the prize. Don't burn through all of OCR content before moving to another board, DO THEM IN PARALLEL. Exam technique is a huge % of the mark, and trust me it can cost you a grade. It's all well and good knowing the chemistry which practice brings but remember you're passing an exam aswell, specifically OCR's.

I just had a look at my past paper spreadsheet and I did every single OCR paper twice, tracked at least. So if you're serious about getting close to 100% it might be a good idea to do all now, move onto other boards, then returning for a second run at OCR when you've forgotten them in a couple months.

Thanks you very much, I am currently going through all the questions I can. If I'm honest it's a lot of work and chemistry needs a lot of practice and skill, especially since I'm trying to aim for an A. Would you recommend that I stick to the OCR main textbook and the OCR condensed revision guide ? There are loads of new books out, for example the updated OCR A2 book for the new syllabus is on Amazon, there is the CGP book aswell and some A2 salters books that I've seen. I don't want to overwhelm my self with all these different books and past papers because I end up procrastinating. I've even went to the extent of printing Doc Brown Redox questions and some hard NMR problems from the Internet as these are the hardest topics for me. I just don't want to overwork myself and become bored and fed up with it all. I just want to do things I need to do and not end up wasting time on random stuff. Here's the list of papers in doing;

- Main F321,F324 and F325 papers
- OLD legacy papers for the above
- Doc Brown Redox questions printed
- AQA and Edexcel A2 papers
- Hard NMR problems from the Internet

However I have to many books and it's causing me to waste time and procrastinate. Please could you tell me ur opinion on which books are worth using for these final 3/4 months. There's just too many to choose from. I have been through the A2 OCR papers in September and I've printed them again because the information starts to slip from my mind. I'm also sitting A2 Maths (5 modules) so it's quite intense. I am on a gap year and I am by no means smart but I will do what ever it takes. If I choose to resit F321, F324 and F325 it will take the pressure off the A2 modules, however there's more stuff to revise. If I just do A2 its more pressure as I have to get an A and B in either module to JUST get an A. I personally think F325 will be difficult this year and F324 will be of a decent standard.
Reply 95
Problem is, there will always be a question that separates the best from the average. That's for most a level exams. Chemistry this year will have new types of questions in both AS and A2. Those marks are tough to get and that's the challenge I need to overcome, hence why just practicing OCR alone is not good enough me and this may apply to some others. It depends on how good you are at interpreting things and how well you can apply ur knowledge. OCR and all exam boards are smart, they know that students will buy the OCR book and do OCR papers as they know we have a lot of stuff to do and probably won't get enough time to try new types of questions. So I do advise everyone to try new types of questions if you get time, it could make the difference. Examiners want to catch you out and they even write in one of the reports that candidates who just try to remember answers and ways of doing things are the ones that will be disappointed on results day, well at least for chem. UNDERSTANDING>MEMORY.
F324 June 2015 is a good example of what I'm trying to say and F325 Jan 2013 aswell.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danllo
Problem is, there will always be a question that separates the best from the average. That's for most a level exams. Chemistry this year will have new types of questions in both AS and A2. Those marks are tough to get and that's the challenge I need to overcome, hence why just practicing OCR alone is not good enough me and this may apply to some others. It depends on how good you are at interpreting things and how well you can apply ur knowledge. OCR and all exam boards are smart, they know that students will buy the OCR book and do OCR papers as they know we have a lot of stuff to do and probably won't get enough time to try new types of questions. So I do advise everyone to try new types of questions if you get time, it could make the difference. Examiners want to catch you out and they even write in one of the reports that candidates who just try to remember answers and ways of doing things are the ones that will be disappointed on results day, well at least for chem. UNDERSTANDING>MEMORY.
F324 June 2015 is a good example of what I'm trying to say and F325 Jan 2013 aswell.

Always understand the steps you're taking or you're wasting your time. Do the papers from Jan 10 onwards from other boards, this is when the A* questions started popping up and exam boards steal from each other.

The reason I say to practice the other boards aswell is because it develops a real deep rooted understanding which is what's needed.
I'm first year, doing AS. Does anybody have tips for the new specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gooner_hsj
I'm first year, doing AS. Does anybody have tips for the new specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine it's very much the same, without the safety net of half results half way. Check your spec and do relevant questions on past papers from the current papers and other boards. The chemistry is the same.
Reply 99
[QUOTE=ForgottenApple;62951901]Always understand the steps you're taking or you're wasting your time. Do the papers from Jan 10 onwards from other boards, this is when the A* questions started popping up and exam boards steal from each other.

The reason I say to practice the other boards aswell is because it develops a real deep rooted understanding which is what's needed.

Totally agree with you !

Quick Reply

Latest