The Student Room Group

How many washing machines does your uni accommodation have?

I feel like mine has far too few for the amount of people here, so I'm curious what the standard is.

If you're in halls, would you say there's enough at yours? a lot? or very few at all?
Ours has 20 for the whole campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blear
I feel like mine has far too few for the amount of people here, so I'm curious what the standard is.

If you're in halls, would you say there's enough at yours? a lot? or very few at all?

similar to Jackie, about 20-25 for everyone in the on campus halls. Would have been enough if people didn't leave their washing whilst it was on and then not come back til ages after it was finished.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I suppose maybe it is normal to provide hardly any machines then.

My halls aren't on campus so at least we don't have to share with people from all the other buildings. We have 3 for 100+ people.
mine has a wash room with 2 washers and 2 dryers, one of the washing machine's is broken which is hilarious so i just go to the laundrette down the road.
When I lived in on-campus accommodation there were iirc about a dozen washers and a dozen dryers for all residents, which was about 600 people. The undergrads at my current uni have the same number for between 4-500 students.

I've since lived in houses owned by my university and the two largest houses had two washers and two dryers between 10-12 people, so much better.

After the first few times, I just started taking people's washing out of the machines when it was done. If they had left a laundry basket or bag beside the machine, I put it in there; otherwise I left it in as neat a pile as possible on a table/bench (never on the floor). Some people really do take the p*ss with leaving their stuff for hours, so I never felt bad about removing washing from machines when it was done.
When I was in student accommodation our building (approximately 600 students) had 6 industrial size washing machines and 6 industrial size dryers. Doesn't sounds like enough on paper, but very rarely did I find myself having to wait to wash clothes.
Reply 7
My uni halls houses 800+ students and the there is only 10 washing machines, 3 of which are currently broken, and 10-12 dryers, I don't think this is no where near enough. More often than not in the evenings there is multiple people all waiting to use a machine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending