The Student Room Group

Sussex vs Bournemouth (Psychology)

Haven't got offers from either yet but fairly confident I can get them. Really stuck deciding which to go to though because they both have different benefits, any help would be really good! I'm predicted A*AA btw, so I don't think it'll be difficult to get these two.

Sussex (CCC):
+ Is about 40 mins away by train so I can see my girlfriend often
+ Allows me to do a foundation year and apply for Biology/Neuroscience in 2017
+ I've been there on Open Days and liked the area quite a bit
+ Reputable apparently
- The Student Union looks...eclectic, to say the least
- The campus isn't that pretty. I know aesthetics aren't everything, mind.
- I don't know if I'm guaranteed accommodation if I do a foundation year

Bournemouth (BCC):
+ Beautiful area
+ Not too far away, about a couple hours.
+ I've heard that the Psychology department is really good
+ Reasonable standards for my ability
- I've never been to the place, it's too expensive to get there
- I've heard negatives about the place I'm unable to disprove/verify
- Is going for the beautiful surrounding area a good reason?

So yeah, any help would be super good, thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by SkyRees
Haven't got offers from either yet but fairly confident I can get them. Really stuck deciding which to go to though because they both have different benefits, any help would be really good! I'm predicted A*AA btw, so I don't think it'll be difficult to get these two.

Sussex (CCC):
+ Reputable apparently

Bournemouth (BCC):
+ Beautiful area

Look at the individual course modules as well... you'll spend at least 3 years there so enjoying the course/finding it interesting is a must.
Original post by emiloujess
Look at the individual course modules as well... you'll spend at least 3 years there so enjoying the course/finding it interesting is a must.

Very good point, and I have looked at both. I like both pretty well and the core modules are good, and some nice options too - for Sussex the foundation year is Biochem to A2 standard, and I can decide the modules based on the degree I go for after that so nothing to worry about yet!
As for Bournemouth, it's pretty much all BPS accreditation so not that much choice either way. I like most of it though!
Original post by SkyRees
Very good point, and I have looked at both. I like both pretty well and the core modules are good, and some nice options too - for Sussex the foundation year is Biochem to A2 standard, and I can decide the modules based on the degree I go for after that so nothing to worry about yet!
As for Bournemouth, it's pretty much all BPS accreditation so not that much choice either way. I like most of it though!

If one is more interesting than the other I'd go for that one, and BPS accreditation is definitely an essential if you want any kind of career in Psychology after that. Wait until the offer days and definitely try to visit them both if you can - I've chosen mine mainly on how the universities feel. You've got plenty of time! Maybe try posting in the University-specific forums on here to see if you can contact any current students?
Original post by emiloujess
If one is more interesting than the other I'd go for that one, and BPS accreditation is definitely an essential if you want any kind of career in Psychology after that. Wait until the offer days and definitely try to visit them both if you can - I've chosen mine mainly on how the universities feel. You've got plenty of time! Maybe try posting in the University-specific forums on here to see if you can contact any current students?

I'll give that a shot, thank you!
Hey emiloujess!

I'm Chris and currently studying in my second year at Bournemouth University! I don't do psychology but I can answer any questions you have about Bournemouth University! What is it you have heard about the place that has put you off?

By the way you should be able to access an online campus tour on the Bournemouth Uni website very soon!!

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:
Original post by SkyRees

Sussex (CCC):
+ Reputable apparently

Bournemouth (BCC):
+ Beautiful area

Don't Sussex ask for AAB for psychology?
Reply 7
Given that you're predicted A*AA, is there a reason you're looking at unis which want CCC (presumably for Foundation entry) and BCC? It seems like you could be more aspirational in your choices, even as safety insurance options.

Given the two options, I'd go for the industry-accreditation. But as above, it does rather depend on the factors which are making you wary of Bournemouth.
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Don't Sussex ask for AAB for psychology?

More like AAB yeah. The CCC that I quoted was for the Biosciences foundation year going into Neuropsychology ^^
Original post by Klix88
Given that you're predicted A*AA, is there a reason you're looking at unis which want CCC (presumably for Foundation entry) and BCC? It seems like you could be more aspirational in your choices, even as safety insurance options.

Given the two options, I'd go for the industry-accreditation. But as above, it does rather depend on the factors which are making you wary of Bournemouth.

I have zero self-confidence, basically :laugh:
Also that I figured arts degrees were useless so I turned my back on it and went for a science I knew I liked.
Original post by SkyRees
More like AAB yeah. The CCC that I quoted was for the Biosciences foundation year going into Neuropsychology ^^

Why don't you just apply for first year entry if you're predicted A*AA?
Original post by SkyRees

Are you planning to do Neuropsychology or Neuroscience? Because (and I could certainly be mistaken) you shouldn't need anything special to go on to do neuropsychology. If you went to Bournemouth would your plan be the same (as I presume you're not doing the foundation year there)?
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Why don't you just apply for first year entry if you're predicted A*AA?

I don't do any sciences. And to be honest, I was told by them to change course if I wanted a competitive entry. So I'm sort of at a loss either way right now.
Original post by _Sinnie_
Are you planning to do Neuropsychology or Neuroscience? Because (and I could certainly be mistaken) you shouldn't need anything special to go on to do neuropsychology. If you went to Bournemouth would your plan be the same (as I presume you're not doing the foundation year there)?

Neuroscience, my bad. And you do, you need at least one science and I have none haha.

Quick Reply

Latest