The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think it's full of snobs. Not at all, in fact i don't think i've really met a snob the whole time i've been here (which is a while). But then i guess it depends what you determine a snob to be.

And yes, the nightlife may not rival London's, but i like that when i go clubbing i know lots of people there, and for those who do get bored of it then Leeds isn't far away. A few of my friends throw in a trip to Leeds once every term or so to add to the excitement, but i've never been too keen - York's fine for me.
University of York
York
Reply 2
What do you mean by a snob? If you just mean students from private schools with money then yes, but if you mean students who look down on you for being poor or different or whatever then there are very few. I think I'll get bored of the clubs by 3rd year but Leeds isn't far away and my friends go about 3 times a term.
Reply 3
The number of people educated at private schools is higher than some places, but I've not many people who I'd particularly call a snob (well... mentioning no names, certain societies attract them). There are just as many arrogant/stuck up people as there are anywhere else, from all school backgrounds.

The nightlife... endless threads on this. It's fine, it's more than bearable, a lot of people really like the strange nightlife we have here. Leeds is only 35 minutes and £6 on the train, no big deal.
Reply 4
I am AMAZED at how un-snobbish York is. Everyone's so relaxed and non-judgemental; I LOVE it. Nothing compared to your average high school. Cliques just go out the window, no-one cares how much money you have or what a levels you got - no-one even knows what age people are. Tis great.
Reply 5
Seriously, I've never met anyone I considered snobby, even though my friends all went to public or grammar schools and I went to a comprehensive. Everyone's relaxed and accepting of you regardless of...anything really.
Reply 6
In general, University is a lot more forgiving than your average high school. Not just money or schooling but appearance, music, hobbies. Anything goes. No matter how 'abnormal' you are in any other those aspects, there's always someone more extreme, and no-one cares.
Reply 7
one more thing, is the acommadation mixed sex or single?
Reply 8
Accommodation is mixed.
there are some areas (one block of Alcuin I know for sure) where it's all female, but you would probably only be put there if you specified all female on your accommodation form
Reply 10
rogey
is york uni full of snobs?

I know that the proportion of state/ private schools doesn't necessarily give any indication at all of levels of snobbery, but, as a matter of interest, Wikipedia says that "more state-school pupils come to York than any other leading university."
mrmr
I know that the proportion of state/ private schools doesn't necessarily give any indication at all of levels of snobbery, but, as a matter of interest, Wikipedia says that "more state-school pupils come to York than any other leading university."

However, this does not recognise that York has a very low percentage of working class students, and rather, the middle classes from state-schools make up almost all of the student intake.
Reply 12
I've never met anyone from York uni who was a snob.
Everyone's educated, yes, because it's a good university. But snobbery? No.
Reply 13
Roberto Tomato
However, this does not recognise that York has a very low percentage of working class students, and rather, the middle classes from state-schools make up almost all of the student intake.

Oh, if you can define middle and working classes nowadays, then you're doing a lot better than most social commentators.
Reply 14
Hmmm, interesting views. I've been here the best part of two years and heck I've met my fair share of snobs, you just have to know where to look! Certain sports clubs are brimming with them... However it is possible to see through all that snobbish crap because in the end we're all in the same boat. A lot of public school banter goes on but embracing it is part of the fun.
Yes I've met lots of people at York who I'd consider to be snobs.
Reply 16
Well if you hang around the lacrosse team then yeah, from what I hear they're full of snobs...

Then again, I've also been told that the women's football team is full of lesbians. Not sure how accurate these generalisations are...
Reply 17
Ha I was a member of said club. Not anymore though due to it being a **** sport. They get constant aggro from people calling it a "girls" sport, so it's commonly thought they have to make up for it by being arrogant. Probably true, but most of them don't have a reason to be arrogant etc... Rugby is far better (plug :smile:). Anywho York has a great friendly atmosphere and it's fair share of incredbily smart, incredibly crazy people!
Reply 18
If you want to play lacrosse you deserve to be looked down on :smile:
Reply 19
Or if, indeed, York is full of snobs you've just asked a group of snobs whether or not they think they are snobs. Of course they're going to deny it! :P