The Student Room Group

Ending tenancy agreement

Hi everyone.I am in a big trouble.I have started university in September ,but unfortunately I have realised the subject was not suitable for me and I had to quit.I am staying in private student accommodation.Before moving here I have to sign a contract and I have been asked to send the details of a guarantor.My guarantor is my uncle who lives in the UK.I feel really bad and really want to go home but the landlord does not let me until I find a replacing tenant or leave and keep paying the rent even if I will not live here.Is there any chance to find a tenant now or to convince the lettings team let me go?Please help me with anything you can.I am in a disperate situation.Thank you !!!Bianca
You need to find someone to replace you, otherwise you will not be able to leave the tenancy agreement.
Original post by biancadenisia15
Hi everyone.I am in a big trouble.I have started university in September ,but unfortunately I have realised the subject was not suitable for me and I had to quit.I am staying in private student accommodation.Before moving here I have to sign a contract and I have been asked to send the details of a guarantor.My guarantor is my uncle who lives in the UK.I feel really bad and really want to go home but the landlord does not let me until I find a replacing tenant or leave and keep paying the rent even if I will not live here.Is there any chance to find a tenant now or to convince the lettings team let me go?Please help me with anything you can.I am in a disperate situation.Thank you !!!Bianca

You signed a contract to pay rent, that is how the accommodation makes money in order to keep it running and pay it's staff. It is not the accommodations fault that you decided to leave. As such they shouldn't be out of pocket because of your decision.

You need to find someone to replace you in the tenancy agreement, otherwise they WILL pursue your uncle for the money.
thank you for you replies.I have found some people who wanted to move in here,but those in charge with renting the property said that they are only accepting students.Do you think there is any possibility to find a tenant who is also a student at this time of the year?
thank you for you replies.I have found some people who wanted to move in here,but those in charge with renting the property said that they are only accepting students.Do you think there is any possibility to find a tenant who is also a student at this time of the year?

It's possible, it's just not likely. But you won't find one if you don't look. Advertise on the local uni facebook pages, the local SU, spare room sites and student accommodation forums.
I have to tell you I have advertised my room everywhere and nothing happens.And the landlord does not understand me at all.I feel really bad from all points of view :frown: I don t get why they don t want professionals to move in?
I have to tell you I have advertised my room everywhere and nothing happens.And the landlord does not understand me at all.I feel really bad from all points of view :frown: I don t get why they don t want professionals to move in?

Tax reasons. Also it can affect their insurance policy.

I get that it's frustrating and not easy, but blaming your landlord isn't going to help. Ultimately it is you who has caused this situation not them.
why should your landlord lose out on their income because you agreed to a contract then changed your mind? there is little chance of finding a student at this point as every other student will be in a similar contract that they can't leave easily
And the landlord does not understand me at all.

It's not about whether he understands you, you signed a contract so you cannot just back out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending