The Student Room Group

Computer science or biochem? Or both??

I have a long held fascination for molecular biology, biochemistry, cognitive science and neuroscience. This interest has led me to apply for Bsc in biochemistry at 5 different universities.

But I am realising more and more that I have a strong desire to combine my interest in the above-mentioned disciplines with computation/engineering. This essentially relates to the technological, creative and problem-solving aspects of synthetic biology and artificial intelligence (fields I would love to partake in developing in the coming future).

However, I am now finding out that in order to do a masters in ANYTHING that involves engineering or computer science, I need a Bsc in said discipline.

What should I do? Change course on my application? I am feeling very unsure--would love some advice!
i think computer science has better prospects than biochemistry. also edinburgh do a cognitive science degree which is 50/50 computer science and psychology.
Reply 2
You can always start with any of them and then specialize. For example do a computer science degree (which is really broad) and then either through an MSc or relevant work experience apply that in biochem applications...
Original post by vildeung
I have a long held fascination for molecular biology, biochemistry, cognitive science and neuroscience. This interest has led me to apply for Bsc in biochemistry at 5 different universities.

But I am realising more and more that I have a strong desire to combine my interest in the above-mentioned disciplines with computation/engineering. This essentially relates to the technological, creative and problem-solving aspects of synthetic biology and artificial intelligence (fields I would love to partake in developing in the coming future).

However, I am now finding out that in order to do a masters in ANYTHING that involves engineering or computer science, I need a Bsc in said discipline.

What should I do? Change course on my application? I am feeling very unsure--would love some advice!

You're interested in the EXACT SAME areas as me. Synthetic biology, brain computer interfaces, neural networks, AI, they're all so bloody fascinating!!

I'd personally go with the CS route with a specific concentration in AI, or even full AI courses. Once you have the grounding in that, do a masters degree in something that combines biological applications (Bioinformatics) with CS, then jump into a PhD covering both topics. Alternatively, find a startup working on stuff in the space and get a job there.

If you're still in the 7-day period, you can substitute your choices for stuff like Cognitive Science at Edinburgh; AI at other places. You'd have to contact the universities about potentially submitting a second personal statement.

If it turns out that you've exceeded this period, I suggest contacting universities you've applied to, ask them about the possibility of switching courses in the first couple of weeks or even being considered for alternative courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Natural Science, and any degree in a Scottish uni will allow you to study both subject with the first 2yrs.

I'd suggest going with Bsc/MEng Comp Sci, and choosing optional modules in Biological sciences which most unis will allow you to. Most unis have Computing courses that focuses mainly in Bio- computing such as Newcastle .
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
You're interested in the EXACT SAME areas as me. Synthetic biology, brain computer interfaces, neural networks, AI, they're all so bloody fascinating!!

I'd personally go with the CS route with a specific concentration in AI, or even full AI courses. Once you have the grounding in that, do a masters degree in something that combines biological applications (Bioinformatics) with CS, then jump into a PhD covering both topics. Alternatively, find a startup working on stuff in the space and get a job there.

If you're still in the 7-day period, you can substitute your choices for stuff like Cognitive Science at Edinburgh; AI at other places. You'd have to contact the universities about potentially submitting a second personal statement.

If it turns out that you've exceeded this period, I suggest contacting universities you've applied to, ask them about the possibility of switching courses in the first couple of weeks or even being considered for alternative courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right!! Where have you applied? I am really eager to know more about the educational choices others take in order to work within those areas.

I have found a really cool graduate program at UChicago (in the US, obviously) on computational neuroscience -- maybe something that's interesting to you?

The 7-day period has passed. I think I will apply for CS at some Scandinavian universities as insurance, but I'm also considering contacting the UK unis.

But I feel studying CS would deviate quite dramatically from what I have imagined myself doing in the coming years, which makes the choice a pretty scary one..
Uni of Birmongham have an "intercalated" computer science year. Check it out.
I know right!! Where have you applied? I am really eager to know more about the educational choices others take in order to work within those areas.

I have found a really cool graduate program at UChicago (in the US, obviously) on computational neuroscience -- maybe something that's interesting to you?

The 7-day period has passed. I think I will apply for CS at some Scandinavian universities as insurance, but I'm also considering contacting the UK unis.

But I feel studying CS would deviate quite dramatically from what I have imagined myself doing in the coming years, which makes the choice a pretty scary one..

I went the Maths/CS route unfortunately, but I also applied to 'Data Science' which involves a lot of AI, stats and neural network stuff. I applied to:
Oxford - Computer Science
UCL - Mathematical Computation
Warwick - Data Science
Nottingham - Data Science
Bristol - Maths and Computer Science

Ooh, that sounds really interesting actually! I might look into it, come to think of it my cousin just graduated from UChicago with a major in Neuroscience. I'll ask her more about it.

Ah, well, I'm sure if you get involved with some interdisciplinary projects whilst at uni, and also get stuck in with learning some programming languages in your spare time, it will work out in the end! Embrace your choice, it's already locked in so don't worry about it too much now.

Choosing the right course can be tricky. You may be interested in getting in touch with our Course Enquiries Team to talk about your options, as we do offer a Computer Science - BSc (Hons) course. Their number is 0121 331 5595. You may also want to come to our Open Day on Saturday 14 November from 9am to 3pm. www.bcu.ac.uk/od
Reply 9
I went the Maths/CS route unfortunately, but I also applied to 'Data Science' which involves a lot of AI, stats and neural network stuff. I applied to:
Oxford - Computer Science
UCL - Mathematical Computation
Warwick - Data Science
Nottingham - Data Science
Bristol - Maths and Computer Science

Ooh, that sounds really interesting actually! I might look into it, come to think of it my cousin just graduated from UChicago with a major in Neuroscience. I'll ask her more about it.

Ah, well, I'm sure if you get involved with some interdisciplinary projects whilst at uni, and also get stuck in with learning some programming languages in your spare time, it will work out in the end! Embrace your choice, it's already locked in so don't worry about it too much now.

Guess what, I ended up changing to Mathematical Computation at UCL and CompSci+AI at Edinburgh!! :-) Haven't heard back from UCl, but currently hold an offer at Edinburgh!
Guess what, I ended up changing to Mathematical Computation at UCL and CompSci+AI at Edinburgh!! :-) Haven't heard back from UCl, but currently hold an offer at Edinburgh!

You spoke to me before, in one of those groups :wink: Congrats on Edinburgh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
You spoke to me before, in one of those groups :wink: Congrats on Edinburgh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, ooops!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending