The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Is anyone still waiting for offer or response after the interview like me? Or, all offers gone for this year???
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
IMPORTANT (please help): I'm thinking of applying to UCL for 2017 entry. I was wondering if anyone have any advice. What you need to get for UMS, what the interview was like, what you need to get in BMAT etc. I am going to take a gap year so to all the people taking a gap year, do you have any advice i.e. what I can do, what will help me get into the uni etc. Also how did people revise BMAT? Please do help me- you can pm me.
Original post by peanutbutterx
IMPORTANT (please help): I'm thinking of applying to UCL for 2017 entry. I was wondering if anyone have any advice. What you need to get for UMS, what the interview was like, what you need to get in BMAT etc. I am going to take a gap year so to all the people taking a gap year, do you have any advice i.e. what I can do, what will help me get into the uni etc. Also how did people revise BMAT? Please do help me- you can pm me.

What you need to get for UMS
Totally depends on the the applicants who apply in your year. They don't ask everyone, and of those they do ask, I reckon it's quite far down the list of importance. Much more important that you just do the best you can for AS (if you are currently in year 12, that is). Generally, you should aim for 85% or above anyway.

What the interview was like
Provided you're not a reapplicant, you will learn slowly how medical interviews work, and the types of questions asked. The UCL interview is one of the harder non-Oxbridge interviews but you'll be well prepared for it if and when the time comes, so don't panic too much at this stage :smile:

what you need to get in BMAT
Much like your first question, UCL don't have a cut off. It's a hollistic approach to your application so there is no set score which will see you through/reject you. Just do the best you can. If the rest of your application is strong, that will support a weaker BMAT score.

I'm sorry but I have no idea about gap years so I'll leave that to someone else. In terms of preparing for the BMAT/UKCAT see my post (#785) on this page of another thread.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
What you need to get for UMS
Totally depends on the the applicants who apply in your year. They don't ask everyone, and of those they do ask, I reckon it's quite far down the list of importance. Much more important that you just do the best you can for AS (if you are currently in year 12, that is). Generally, you should aim for 85% or above anyway.

What the interview was like
Provided you're not a reapplicant, you will learn slowly how medical interviews work, and the types of questions asked. The UCL interview is one of the harder non-Oxbridge interviews but you'll be well prepared for it if and when the time comes, so don't panic too much at this stage :smile:

what you need to get in BMAT
Much like your first question, UCL don't have a cut off. It's a hollistic approach to your application so there is no set score which will see you through/reject you. Just do the best you can. If the rest of your application is strong, that will support a weaker BMAT score.

I'm sorry but I have no idea about gap years so I'll leave that to someone else. In terms of preparing for the BMAT/UKCAT see my post (#785) on this page of another thread.

Hope that helps.

What do you mean by 'it's one of the harder non-Oxbridge interviews'? They ask questions based on science/they ask difficult questions/ask difficult questions about the BMAT essay?

The questions they ask about BMAT essay is it 'easy'? Also how do I prepare for the interview?

So if the UMS and the BMAT don't really matter, then what do they look for?

Thank you so much! :smile:
What do you mean by 'it's one of the harder non-Oxbridge interviews'? They ask questions based on science/they ask difficult questions/ask difficult questions about the BMAT essay?

The questions they ask about BMAT essay is it 'easy'? Also how do I prepare for the interview?

So if the UMS and the BMAT don't really matter, then what do they look for?

Thank you so much! :smile:

The questions ask vary enormously, so the types of questions would vary from candidate to candidate. Yes, be prepared for science, awkward questions, stressful interviews. But it will depend on your panel and the mood they are in.

The questions they ask about the BMAT are pretty straightforward, although it does depend how well you write your essay (and what score you get). However, you can still turn things around if you wrote an awful essay, so don't get too hung-up about your score on BMAT results day if you've applied to UCL. You will be expected to justify opinions and critically analyse a piece of work that's your own.

I'm not saying that the BMAT and UMS don't matter, what I mean is that, individually, your standalone scores for each component of your application ultimately don't mean a great deal. That's because UCL look at your entire application rather than focussing on any one outstanding part of it. This will benefit you if you do poorly in one component of the application, but well in another. It balances out overall.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
The questions ask vary enormously, so the types of questions would vary from candidate to candidate. Yes, be prepared for science, awkward questions, stressful interviews. But it will depend on your panel and the mood they are in.

The questions they ask about the BMAT are pretty straightforward, although it does depend how well you write your essay (and what score you get). However, you can still turn things around if you wrote an awful essay, so don't get too hung-up about your score on BMAT results day if you've applied to UCL. You will be expected to justify opinions and critically analyse a piece of work that's your own.

I'm not saying that the BMAT and UMS don't matter, what I mean is that, individually, your standalone scores for each component of your application ultimately don't mean a great deal. That's because UCL look at your entire application rather than focussing on any one outstanding part of it. This will benefit you if you do poorly in one component of the application, but well in another. It balances out overall.

I didn't know UCL ask science questions!

When you say science questions, do you mean it's just like Oxbridge interview and is it A2 level on Chemistry & Biology? Could you please give an example of a science question and an awkward question (Obviously not one they actually asked, just an example so I get an idea of what you mean)

Oh that's good! Do you have any advice for preparing UCL's interviews? I'm assuming you've got in so how did you prepare for it? I know there is no certain way of passing an interview and shouldn't over prepare. But anything you did thought helped you a lot for your interview at UCL?

Also, did you notice anything during your application to UCL that hasn't been mentioned on their website? For example I've heard for Sheffield interview, they score each station out of 5 but you have to get at least a 3 in all stations to pass the interview. It does not say on their website. (doesn't have to do with just interviews)

Sorry to ask so many questions! I need to be very tactful in where I've applied and I thought why not talk to someone who has just gone through the whole application! So thank you so much
I didn't know UCL ask science questions!

When you say science questions, do you mean it's just like Oxbridge interview and is it A2 level on Chemistry & Biology? Could you please give an example of a science question and an awkward question (Obviously not one they actually asked, just an example so I get an idea of what you mean)

Oh that's good! Do you have any advice for preparing UCL's interviews? I'm assuming you've got in so how did you prepare for it? I know there is no certain way of passing an interview and shouldn't over prepare. But anything you did thought helped you a lot for your interview at UCL?

Also, did you notice anything during your application to UCL that hasn't been mentioned on their website? For example I've heard for Sheffield interview, they score each station out of 5 but you have to get at least a 3 in all stations to pass the interview. It does not say on their website. (doesn't have to do with just interviews)

Sorry to ask so many questions! I need to be very tactful in where I've applied and I thought why not talk to someone who has just gone through the whole application! So thank you so much

It won't be abstract questions they ask at Oxbridge. It'll be scientific with relation to your a-levels and anything you write on your PS. So if you've talked about gene therapy, for instance, they might see how far they can dig into your knowledge of that by asking related questions. In terms of being awkward, I was talking to a girl who came out of her interview who told me that the majority of her interview consisted of the interviewers grilling her on why she chose medicine over being a carer or nurse, since they both have effectively the same job. Regardless of what she said to justify herself she said they always had a comeback. Just bear in mind that they can act difficult to you. It's usually to see how you will cope under the pressure. They are looking for a particular kind of person.

I was successful in all my interviews, so I was very lucky to have a choice (although I always knew I would firm UCL if I got it!) I prepared for my interviews by reading around healthcare in the news and forming my own opinions, being aware of the main questions and talking to my parents frequently/doing mock questions with them. Neither of them are doctors but talking to someone else (or a mirror if as a second choice) brings up any annoying habits you have, as well as having someone there to actually make sure what you're saying makes sense and answers the question asked. I also attended an interview course called Interviewdoctors which I found very helpful - but the choice to pay £70-odd for a course is totally up to you. The way I saw it was that it was worth it, even if it only gave me a nugget of information that might be useful in any of my interviews.

Nothing I can think of that wasn't made clear to us before we entered the application cycle.

What are your academic grades like so far?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aprix
16th of March

Hi
I'm applying for 2017 entry.
May I know your stats?
Thanks
Reply 1328
Original post by ipanda99
Hi
I'm applying for 2017 entry.
May I know your stats?
Thanks

Hi, I got in! If you have any questions, just pm me :smile:
[QUOTE=aprix;68222354]Hi, I got in! If you have any questions, just pm me :smile:

Thanks
I have PMed you
Hey x still haven't heard anything from UCL, does this mean anything?
Hi! I'm thinking of applying to UCL for undergraduate medicine and was wondering if my IGCSE results would be enough for me to get a place there along with the usual work experience and A levels.

I got 5 A*s in the three sciences and in the englishes, 3 A's in Geography, Classics and Maths, and 2 Bs in Art and Spanish.

I also have 2 days of work experience shadowing an orthopaedic consultant and 2 days in theatre with a maxillofacial surgeon and I've now done 3 months of volunteering at a care home.

I'm doing 3 sciences and maths at A level right now (I'm in year 12) and I plan to drop maths at AS level.

It'd be really helpful if someone could tell the the probability of me getting an offer or some advice before I apply! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending