The Student Room Group

Career in structural

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Or just keep it as a trading company - you may have time during the holidays to do some trading...
Reply 21
Reply 22
All qualifications can ultimately be converted to UCAS points.

So an A* at A-level is 140 points, an A is 120, B 100, C 80, etc
For AS-level (if not then taken to A2) it's A 60, B 50, etc
BTEC National Diploma (eg Access to HE) goes from 360 (DDD where D=Distinction) to 80 (PPP where P=Pass)

So this means a DDD in Access to HE is equivalent to AAA at A-level.

Therefore 200 points is equivalent to 2 B's at A-level
Don't do a distance course for maths. They cost like 300+ some even 600+ when you can teach yourself with a good textbook and practice.
Reply 24
Original post by RiskVsReward
Don't do a distance course for maths. They cost like 300+ some even 600+ when you can teach yourself with a good textbook and practice.

And get good support from the Maths forum on TSR :smile:
Just go on amazon and search for AS/A2 Maths edexel.

You know that them long distance course is exactly the same as teaching yourself? They just give you a tiny bit of help which you could easily get by posting your questions here.
Just go through the books, do past papers and ask questions here. You can also do it alongside your current job.
Reply 26
Yep - Edexcel is a good one to pick.

Select your 6 modules - you must do the 4 core modules, plus 2 applied.
i.e. C1-4, M1-2 (M modules are best for engineering)

You then buy one textbook per module and work through the book. You can post any questions you have on the TSR Maths forum for guidance.
e.g. C1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435519107/

There's also the CGP books (get these in addition to the textbooks)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Edexcel-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/1847625800/

Also http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

BUT I'm not an expert on this. The guys in the Maths forum will probably have better ideas :wink:

Also a full a-level in 6 months is A LOT OF WORK...
Reply 27
So.... do the Access in Sept 2016, to start uni MEng in Sept 2017. Do you have enough work to tide you over until then? Also you could start self-teaching Maths A-level now with a view to sitting it properly in June 2017. So you'd have the Access PLUS an A-level.

Not ideal time wise, but I think the timing really is against you.
Reply 28
Yes I think so, but double check with Preston.

It might be an idea to get the edexcel C1 and M1 books anyway just to give you a headstart.

And this is a good Engineering Maths textbook (the 7th Edition is the latest but tends to be pricey)

By K.A Stroud
Engineering Mathematics 6th Edition

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262131256702

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes I think so, but double check with Preston.

It might be an idea to get the edexcel C1 and M1 books anyway just to give you a headstart.

And this is a good Engineering Maths textbook (the 7th Edition is the latest but tends to be pricey)

By K.A Stroud
Engineering Mathematics 6th Edition

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262131256702

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMO I think you should carry on working for like a year or two longer and do this properly alongside it properly instead of rush it, what do you guys think?
Like if you are in a rush to do it then fair play, but honestly you got to build up some grades because right now you haven't got much and get into this ready and proper.
If you were younger and had nothing to do, I'd say go in ASAP but it seems you already have something to do in the meanwhile.
Reply 30
Original post by RiskVsReward
IMO I think you should carry on working for like a year or two longer and do this properly alongside it properly instead of rush it, what do you guys think?
Like if you are in a rush to do it then fair play, but honestly you got to build up some grades because right now you haven't got much and get into this ready and proper.
If you were younger and had nothing to do, I'd say go in ASAP but it seems you already have something to do in the meanwhile.

Starting the Access HE in Sept 2016 isn't rushing into it...
Original post by jneill
Starting the Access HE in Sept 2016 isn't rushing into it...

I didn't mean the access course lol I just meant generally. I agree with doing the access course.
Sorry but here I got no idea at all, I only know the conventional a-level route into unis and haven't much a clue how access courses and stuff work. Maybe someone else can give you better feedback. But for a reference I think maybe your employer can do it for you if you haven't been in education in a while, it doesn't have done by someone amazing!

Also it's best if you quote someone as they will see you have messaged them or else they may miss it!
Reply 33
A reference for what? For university? If so then no your tutors at Preston would provide that. Unis want an academic reference.
You can just give Ucas a call(if you are using them), see what they say. Maybe they won't require it or something. All I know only they have the real answer in this situation. I haven't started my Ucas yet but I am guessing you are going to need a buzzword to setup or something similar and will require like a school or something to do it. So you really should give them a call and explain your situation to them.
Reply 35
How did it go?!
Reply 36
Make sure they are being genuine with you about your chances of completing all the content in such a short time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
And they get paid no matter if you pass or fail...

Ask them again, or arrange an appointment and pay them a visit :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
The Access bit is a standalone requirement.

But I think to be sure, you should send UCLAN the spec of your Access course and get them to confirm it meets their reqt. in full...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Sounds like its fine then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest