The Student Room Group

im an alcoholic help

i need to stop drinking. been a few years. at uni. i cant just drink and have a quiet one. i end up getting smashed, absolutely hammered. i cant remember half the night. i do really stupid, stupid stuff which im not going to mention on here. how can i stop drinking. its not so much about im drinking everyday, its just that when i do drink i get absolutely hammered
Original post by neverbeejail
i need to stop drinking. been a few years. at uni. i cant just drink and have a quiet one. i end up getting smashed, absolutely hammered. i cant remember half the night. i do really stupid, stupid stuff which im not going to mention on here. how can i stop drinking. its not so much about im drinking everyday, its just that when i do drink i get absolutely hammered

Since alcohol is a drug, the more you drink the more tolerant your body becomes meaning you take more for the same 'effects'.
So to try to stop drinking I'd suggest first setting a timetable/time on when you can drink and when you cannot, it maybe hard because of craving but with your determination you'll be able to do it but do not set unachievable goals (such as starting today you won't ever touch alcohol) since that is very hard and if you drink again you are likely to just give up that goal, so I suggest your goals being just to drink alcohol less and less by each weeks or days your choice :smile:
Also it's better to record stuff in a diary of when you drank, why and who with. Record when you drink less or experience no cravings. The diary entries will enable you to learn what situations to avoid, and which strategies and activities work to help you control your cravings, binges or behaviour that that you come to regret later.
Also for positive thinking, imagine yourself doing those (non-drinking) activities. Take time to relax and think these plans through. If you imagine yourself doing them then it may be easier for the goals to become a reality. :smile: so you could go walking, do works, spend time with friends and sleep early <--- yes! sleep early my friend... yes you are at your age of partying at uni having blast but plz do try to sleep early (lol I'm speaking as if I went to uni already haha)
Even more, hangover may make you more depressed so I suggest writing things out or typing to get the feeling out and drink plenty of water. Moreover think financially how much you are spending on the drinks... since you are at uni too
In addition, if you are drinking due to uni's work (stress reliever) or relationship I suggest you talk with a close family/friend and know that drinking won't help with the work or relationship (but you may already know that)...
Sorry about it being so long but hope it helps. Good luck :smile: If you have the will and determination you'll be able to do it.
A little quote for you "Keep going. No matter what you do, no matter how many times you screw up and think to yourself 'there's no point on carrying on', no matter how many people tell you that you can't do it- keep going. Don't quit. Don't quit, because a month from now you will be that much closer to your goal than you are now. Yesterday you said tomorrow. Make today count. - Unknown" :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by angel162911
Since alcohol is a drug, the more you drink the more tolerant your body becomes meaning you take more for the same 'effects'.
So to try to stop drinking I'd suggest first setting a timetable/time on when you can drink and when you cannot, it maybe hard because of craving but with your determination you'll be able to do it but do not set unachievable goals (such as starting today you won't ever touch alcohol) since that is very hard and if you drink again you are likely to just give up that goal, so I suggest your goals being just to drink alcohol less and less by each weeks or days your choice :smile:
Also it's better to record stuff in a diary of when you drank, why and who with. Record when you drink less or experience no cravings. The diary entries will enable you to learn what situations to avoid, and which strategies and activities work to help you control your cravings, binges or behaviour that that you come to regret later.
Also for positive thinking, imagine yourself doing those (non-drinking) activities. Take time to relax and think these plans through. If you imagine yourself doing them then it may be easier for the goals to become a reality. :smile: so you could go walking, do works, spend time with friends and sleep early <--- yes! sleep early my friend... yes you are at your age of partying at uni having blast but plz do try to sleep early (lol I'm speaking as if I went to uni already haha)
Even more, hangover may make you more depressed so I suggest writing things out or typing to get the feeling out and drink plenty of water. Moreover think financially how much you are spending on the drinks... since you are at uni too
In addition, if you are drinking due to uni's work (stress reliever) or relationship I suggest you talk with a close family/friend and know that drinking won't help with the work or relationship (but you may already know that)...
Sorry about it being so long but hope it helps. Good luck :smile: If you have the will and determination you'll be able to do it.
A little quote for you "Keep going. No matter what you do, no matter how many times you screw up and think to yourself 'there's no point on carrying on', no matter how many people tell you that you can't do it- keep going. Don't quit. Don't quit, because a month from now you will be that much closer to your goal than you are now. Yesterday you said tomorrow. Make today count. - Unknown" :smile:

**** it im drinking now
Original post by neverbeejail
**** it im drinking now

If you're just trolling, that's really not cool. You just made a kind TSR-ian take time out of her day to help you.

If you aren't trolling, I hope you get the help you need.
Original post by Use Err Name
If you're just trolling, that's really not cool. You just made a kind TSR-ian take time out of her day to help you.

If you aren't trolling, I hope you get the help you need.

Awww thank you so sweet :smile: bless you <3
Looks good on your CV, though.

Personal profile:

I'm an alcoholic.

Hobbies:

Drinking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending