The Student Room Group

Contiki trips

Hey,

(For those that don't know, contiki is a travel agency that offers an organised back packing experience - Google for more info)

Has anyone every been on a contiki trip? And what did you think?
I met a group of contiki travellers about 3 years ago in a bar; they said it was just one giant piss up; the people I've spoken to over the years who have also done it agree with them.

I looked at their website and couldn't believe the prices...Some people are making some serious cash there!!

For example; theres one in South America for 36 days that costs just under £7k..............

For £7k I'd expect to stay in South America for 7 months and do everything that is listed on their itinerary...

Another one in 25 days that costs £4k in Mexico and Guatemala...I spent 3 months travelling in Mexico and spent just over £2.5k and that was when the Peso was stronger than it is now!!! I also spent money on Spanish lessons, a huge festival etc etc. Given the exchange rate of the Peso now I'd expect £4k to last the whole 6 month visa allowance.

I'd steer clear of them as for me I think it is a hugeeeee rip off preying on people who aren't really experienced as travellers or people who like one of my Brazilian friends only had 2 weeks of work so it was perfect for her.

If money isn't an object then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest