The Student Room Group

Newcastle vs Nottingham (Computer Science)

Hi guys,

I have ABB predictions in Biology, Psychology, History. I think I would roughly achieve them. I have AAC AS for those subjects.

The problem is, I didn't think Nottingham were going to give me an offer as it was 2 grades above my predictions. I like Nottingham but I would like some outside advice on which university is better, considering I have little to none math/programming background.

Pros of Newcastle:

Closer to home

Lower grade requirement (BBB through PARTNERs)

Additional support and aid into Higher Education (through PARTNERs)

Consistently higher ranked than Nottingham

More funding (£2.5K in guaranteed bursary)

Probably cheaper cost of living?

Pros of Nottingham:

The awesome buildings

Campus Uni

On site offices for tech startups

Can anyone tell me some other pros/cons of the two Unis? Differences in reputation, prestige, employability, course, lecturer quality etc.

I also want to spend some time studying internationally as I think that would be a fantastic experience.

I am leaning towards Newcastle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Hi guys,

I have ABB predictions in Biology, Psychology, History. I think I would roughly achieve them. I have AAC AS for those subjects.

The problem is, I didn't think Nottingham were going to give me an offer as it was 2 grades above my predictions. I like Nottingham but I would like some outside advice on which university is better, considering I have little to none math/programming background.

Pros of Newcastle:

Closer to home

Lower grade requirement (BBB through PARTNERs)

Additional support and aid into Higher Education (through PARTNERs)

Consistently higher ranked than Nottingham

More funding (£2.5K in guaranteed bursary)

Probably cheaper cost of living?

Pros of Nottingham:

The awesome buildings

Campus Uni

On site offices for tech startups

Can anyone tell me some other pros/cons of the two Unis? Differences in reputation, prestige, employability, course, lecturer quality etc.

I also want to spend some time studying internationally as I think that would be a fantastic experience.

I am leaning towards Newcastle.

Wait a minute no maths or physics or even computing.Does Nottingham want students without maths for cs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jontyfernz
Wait a minute no maths or physics or even computing.Does Nottingham want students without maths for cs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The entry requirement state that a minimum of GCSE Maths B grade is sufficient.
Original post by TrojanH
The entry requirement state that a minimum of GCSE Maths B grade is sufficient.

Newcastle could give you a lower offer of ABB but Nottingham states AAB with computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Newcastle could give you a lower offer of ABB but Nottingham states AAB with computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the OP.
Original post by TrojanH
Read the OP.

If you are receiving financial aid its good to select Newcastle but not at the cost of the modules.Also Nottingham is a bit strict in terms of attendance.
But overall both are nearly equal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you are receiving financial aid its good to select Newcastle but not at the cost of the modules.Also Nottingham is a bit strict in terms of attendance.
But overall both are nearly equal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Could you clarify what you meant by 'at the cost of the modules'. Are you saying Ncl has worse modules than Notts?
By attendance do you mean admissions/entry as in missing the grades would be an automatic rejection, or that I would have to go to every single lecture?
Original post by TrojanH
Thanks. Could you clarify what you meant by 'at the cost of the modules'. Are you saying Ncl has worse modules than Notts?
By attendance do you mean admissions/entry as in missing the grades would be an automatic rejection, or that I would have to go to every single lecture?

By modules I mean look at both and choose what suits you best.
By attendance I meant attending lectures.
For Nottingham unless a sick leave,you better have a good reason to not attend a lecture

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending