The Student Room Group
Reply 1
well maybe thats a good thing, because your taking a lot of care into your notes and your going through it bit by bit making it better and better. I usually can get quite a bit of notes in an hour, but i dont think my notes end up being very effictive if i right it quickly.
Reply 2
hmm but i try to do notes really quickly but cant seem 2 break it down alot coz i feel i need to know this 2 :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I'd probably get two pages of notes out in an hour.

I spend a lot of time reading around the same topic from different sources to make sure I fully understand it and to get some background on it. I'll also spend some time trying to come up with mnemonics, or a mind map linking ideas to help me remember. I'll spend some time trying to derive any equations as well as if I can understand where an equation comes from I can remember it and understand it better. Then I'll pick out what I think are the most important bits and right them down in my own words.

It takes a long time but it means I know my stuff well when it comes to the exam. What I'm trying to get at is it may take you a while to make notes, but if they are of high quality it will be time well spent.
Reply 4
datr
I'd probably get two pages of notes out in an hour.

I spend a lot of time reading around the same topic from different sources to make sure I fully understand it and to get some background on it. I'll also spend some time trying to come up with mnemonics, or a mind map linking ideas to help me remember. I'll spend some time trying to derive any equations as well as if I can understand where an equation comes from I can remember it and understand it better. Then I'll pick out what I think are the most important bits and right them down in my own words.

It takes a long time but it means I know my stuff well when it comes to the exam. What I'm trying to get at is it may take you a while to make notes, but if they are of high quality it will be time well spent.

:biggrin: that has made me feel so much better thanku! :biggrin:
I read through and through for ages, picking out the most important bits because it's silly to just write everything out when not all of it is relevant. (Obviously it is in a way, but you don't need to write down every single thing.) I also choose a topic/paragraph and write down the main points over and over again until a page of A4 is full of just the same thing.

That way it's easier to remember and it's definately going to stick when it's written on the page 30+ times. :smile:
Reply 6
It's definitely better to do notes slower. I find it goes into my brain a lot easier, and its often still pretty much there in a few weeks time.
Reply 7
I have to really control myself when it comes to notes, because I can write (and do write) extrememly fast. At best I can easily do 12 or more pages, but this is me just copying out of the book and not learning! When I'm ACTUALLY summarising and learning I do around 3 :smile:
Reply 8
Couldxbe
I have to really control myself when it comes to notes, because I can write (and do write) extrememly fast. At best I can easily do 12 or more pages, but this is me just copying out of the book and not learning! When I'm ACTUALLY summarising and learning I do around 3 :smile:

Wow 12 pages in one hour? Thats impressive. I get about 1 done and two if i really knuckle down lol.
Quality, not quantity. If you spend a long time on your notes, you're more likely to be taking the information in and properly revising it at the same time. But do make sure you're condensing the key points as you go along rather than just copying from a book, otherwise it's pointless.

Latest