The Student Room Group

I will miss my firm offer by 2 grades probably, can I still get in

I couldnt make a visit day at my firm to get my offer reduced. The current offer stands at abb which I will never will be to make tbh but I really want to go to uea. I emailed them saying sorry I couldnt make the visit day and asked them what they are like when applicants miss their offer:

The reply,
Thank you for your e-mail and apologies for the delay in our response. I’m sorry you were unable to make the visit days, however I am delighted to hear that you have decided to choose UEA as your ‘firm’ choice. I can confirm that at results time we do seriously consider all applicants who have chosen us as ‘firm’ choice but who have missed the conditions of our offer. We look favourably at applicants who have sent us the message they want to study here by choosing us as ‘firm’ and we try to be as flexible as possible. We are featuring in extra this year and we did feature in clearing last year.

I hope this answers your question. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

All I want to know just how generous they are, I think i will probably get bbc most likely or abc at most

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UEA is a nice uni ;yes;I didn't get in there though but there was only 10 places on the course I chose it wasn't my first choice in the end anyway.:smile:
Reply 2
I really want to go there but my predictions differ hugely with their offer. I can work at it but Im sure I wont make the grades.
Well, the email sounds very positive. You've chosen them as your firm and they're usually in Extra and Clearing, so the chances are they'll be lenient. Even if you get BBC, that's still only 2 grades off and most unis still let people in with that, as long as the course isn't too competitive. They'd rather have someone who really wants to be there but gets slightly lower grades than someone through Clearing. This would be especially true if the C was in an irrelevant subject. There's not really much else you can do at this point, so just try your hardest to get the grades and try not to worry too much.
Reply 4
The problem is I am predicted bbc, now my form tutor sits with us when were making our firm and insurance choices and hence she will try to pull me out and she is scary :frown:. The other uni i want to g to is bbe offer.
Reply 5
it is a really positive email. I'd stick it down. why does your form tutor sits with you to do it, thats sounds so elementary, just do it now and when you back just go "arr miss i've done my firm" and walk away lol.
Reply 6
mtbab
it is a really positive email. I'd stick it down. why does your form tutor sits with you to do it, thats sounds so elementary, just do it now and when you back just go "arr miss i've done my firm" and walk away lol.

haha lol. She will litearlly kill me, its beacuse im predicted BBC and she wants to make sure people arent going way above their predictions. Mtbab whats your take on what kellywood say, if I do get BBC is there sitll a decent chance?
Reply 7
covalentbond
haha lol. She will litearlly kill me, its beacuse im predicted BBC and she wants to make sure people arent going way above their predictions. Mtbab whats your take on what kellywood say, if I do get BBC is there sitll a decent chance?

wow she really has no trust for you, umm to kelly all i can say is ditto.

your course is in extra, which gives you a better chance i'd say as if shows this yr the course isn't that oversubscribed. go for it.
Reply 8
mtbab
wow she really has no trust for you, umm to kelly all i can say is ditto.

your course is in extra, which gives you a better chance i'd say as if shows this yr the course isn't that oversubscribed. go for it.

being serious though, do unis really let u in with bbc when the offer is abb:frown: :s-smilie:
Reply 9
From what I've heard, UEA is VERY lenient. Friend had a BBB offer, and got in with CCD.
Reply 10
covalentbond
being serious though, do unis really let u in with bbc when the offer is abb:frown: :s-smilie:

This really depends on how much competition you are up against.
However I would have to agree with mtbab and kelly in saying that UEA's e-mail to you shows that they are flexible and are quite lenient towards those who have expressed their desire to study in UEA.

I can confirm that at results time we do seriously consider all applicants who have chosen us as ‘firm’ choice but who have missed the conditions of our offer. We look favourably at applicants who have sent us the message they want to study here by choosing us as ‘firm’ and we try to be as flexible as possible.

This paragraph from the e-mail should be very encouraging for you :smile:.
Looking at it from the perspective of the Uni.
If they are in Extra and Clearing for this course - they need to find people.
Rationally, all other things being equal - they will go for some-one who has expressed a clear interest for their Uni and course rather than some-one who is just taking a place, feels it's a second best choice and may in consequence be more likely to be dissatisfied and drop out.
No-one can say for sure what will happen but the tone of their reply is very positive.
I think it would be very sad to give up an offer you want just because you feel the grades may be beyond your grasp - just imagine how you would feel if you did make the offer and had turned it down.
Good luck.
Reply 12
If the course is in extra or clearing doesn't that mean they are after people with abb and also how the hell am I going to convince my form tutor:redface:
Reply 13
covalentbond
If the course is in extra or clearing doesn't that mean they are after people with abb and also how the hell am I going to convince my form tutor:redface:

Your tutor is such a bully! :frown:
Reply 14
I'm a bit confused here. Was it mentioned on your reference that you were predicted BBC? If it was, then it puzzles me that UEA gave you an offer greater then your predicted grades if they had been told of it.
Im in the same boat as you, or a similar one at least :p:

I really want to go to Kent for bsuiness computing, in the prospectus the offer is ABB, however i went to the interview, and the offer they made me was BBB :five:
Still, i dont reckon ill get BBB (even though im predicted ABC)
More likely is BBC.

Theres only one thing you can do, and that is work your socks off and hope for the best, im spending the whole of easter doing my coursework for business and ICT with my target of getting A's in all of courseworks.

Good luck, hope you get in the uni you want to :wink:
Reply 16
pingwe
I'm a bit confused here. Was it mentioned on your reference that you were predicted BBC? If it was, then it puzzles me that UEA gave you an offer greater then your predicted grades if they had been told of it.

lol yeah it was on my reference. Thats their standard offer though. Why are you saying this is a bad idea now?
Reply 17
covalentbond
lol yeah it was on my reference. Thats their standard offer though. Why are you saying this is a bad idea now?

No no not at all. I still think you should go ahead and put UEA as firm. It was just something I was confused about, but thanks for clearing it up :smile:.
Reply 18
pingwe
No no not at all. I still think you should go ahead and put UEA as firm. It was just something I was confused about, but thanks for clearing it up :smile:.

would you mind answering ways of getting round my tutor and my clearing question please. thank you x:smile:
Reply 19
Ultimately it's your call, and AFAIK you can fill in the choices without your form tutor supervising you, and then it's too late.

Ok - I don't know this person, but I work as a teacher and can't see why they'd be bothered. Okay - if both your offers were way above your predictions then yes I would, but since your insurance offer is below your predictions, I'd say it was a sensible choice - one slightly ambitious one (for firm) but then a safe back-up plan.

Whether you get in will depend on how many places they have left which depends on how other students do, but I've known people get in to decent uni's with 4 grades less than their offer, as much as anything because the uni liked them. The closer you can get to it the better though.

Latest

Trending

Trending