The Student Room Group

GCSE mock exams in a month!

Hey Everyone!

I am struggling and feeling very stressed with my GCSE mock exams coming up in December. I am finding it very hard to revise for all the subjects and remembering all the important information. unfortunately, i do not even have my mock exam time table to priorities :frown:!!
Does anyone have any good tips for revising all the exams???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally make a revision timetable a few weeks in advance of the exams, revising certain subjects at certain times to ensure I revise everything I need to. I recommend you find out what type of learner you are, as this will help you know what you can do to remember things for your exams. I personally am a visual learner, so I find making mind maps using lots of colour helps me, but everyone learns differently. Go through all topics, and ask your teachers to re explain anything you don't understand.
Don't stress: it's all about finding what works for you.
Reply 2
Thankyou, this has really helped! x
Reply 3
Original post by tiya_2000
Hey Everyone!

I am struggling and feeling very stressed with my GCSE mock exams coming up in December. I am finding it very hard to revise for all the subjects and remembering all the important information. unfortunately, i do not even have my mock exam time table to priorities :frown:!!

At the moment I have a general revision timetable, so I do 1 hour for each subject every week. But if your mocks are in December and you haven't completed like C6 for example, I'd doubt you'd get a mock on C4, 5 & 6. So if you're looking at past papers, focus on C1, 2 & 3. I used this as an example because we haven't done C6 yet so... [I do Triple Science though]
But you'll get mocks in all of your core subjects like English & Maths and then it depends on your options. So I wouldn't revise every single thing in all of your subjects because obviously not everything in your mocks will be what you revised.

TL;DR : Don't worry until you have to, sort out a timetable & have some common sense when revising... Like what's the most likely thing to come up?

Ask your subject teachers abut it if you're really struggling.
Reply 4
I know exactly how you feel. My science ones are next week!! Definitely start revising in any free time you have, DON'T leave it till last minute. Also don't stress too much as they don't count as much as the real ones. Just try your best. Also if you are really stuck maybe stay back after class or get a tutor
Reply 5
Original post by Kralisa
At the moment I have a general revision timetable, so I do 1 hour for each subject every week. But if your mocks are in December and you haven't completed like C6 for example, I'd doubt you'd get a mock on C4, 5 & 6. So if you're looking at past papers, focus on C1, 2 & 3. I used this as an example because we haven't done C6 yet so... [I do Triple Science though]
But you'll get mocks in all of your core subjects like English & Maths and then it depends on your options. So I wouldn't revise every single thing in all of your subjects because obviously not everything in your mocks will be what you revised.

TL;DR : Don't worry until you have to, sort out a timetable & have some common sense when revising... Like what's the most likely thing to come up?

Ask your subject teachers abut it if you're really struggling.

Thankyou very much! I am currently studying B3, C3 and P3 as i have already taken my exams for core and additional science. the problem i have is that i do not stick to revision time tables and find that they do not help me. today i just finished one topic of geography and have many many more to do in so little time. i still have to revise for 8 more subjects and within those subjects are so many topics. the problem with these mocks is that i have to do well because the grades i get will be shown as predicted grades so the sixth forms or collages i apply to. :frown: #thestruggleisreal
Reply 6
Original post by Suli438
They moved my mocks early...
so its next week...

don't worry you will be fine, just keep calm and if they are next week like you said i would make a time table, which that you will be giving every subject time. and the biggest thing is sleep. don't go into an exam with 4 hours sleep or something like that. hope i helped :smile: GOOD LUCK!!!
Reply 7
i have my mocks in 2 weeks, i havent any time to revise, it been really crazy kately as we had a spansih speaking and a 3hr English controlled assesment in the same week so i had focus all my energy on that. I am stressing out, I also get home early and find it hard to concentrate.
Reply 8
I'm in year 12 and i can tell you mock exams don't mean anything, their not worth worrying about!!
Hey! i'm in a really similar position to you with my mocks in January though and im also feeling stressed because some sixth forms ask for your mock results so there's extra added pressure! i would definitely recommend talking to a teacher and pressure the SLT at your school and explain how its hard to make a revision plan without a timetable of when they'll be. Just make sure you either plan to revise everything or do some past papers and revise the topics you don't do so well on :smile:
Original post by tiya_2000
Hey Everyone!

When I did my GCSE mocks I quickly discovered they were some of the most irrelevant things I've ever done. None of my gcse mock results were anywhere near my final GCSE results at all
I'm in Year 13, I promise you that mocks aren't that a big a thing. They're only done so that teachers can give you predicted grades.

I didn't use a revision timetable because I had the same problem as you; too much to do all at once!
Just revise little and often of every subject. Pick a couple of questions out from past papers and use those for revision.

DON'T STRESS. Mocks are just a prelude to the real exams - the clue is in the name; MOCK exams.

When you start revising for your real GCSE exams (and you should really be starting now) just apply the method of little and often. Also, past papers are a GODSEND. Just do past papers until theyre coming out your ears and you will be thoroughly prepared!

Good luck with your revision, you will be absolutely fine!
Got my mocks in 2 days O_O
Haven't started

All I can say is good luck with everything! I can't preach anything i don't practice myself :biggrin:
Reply 13
Hi!

I agree with what everyone has said in terms of not stressing about mock exams. Look at them as a learning expericence. With these exams you'll know what you're good at and what you need to revise, but if you don't do as well as you hoped, don't stress!!

Revision timetables are key!! The best way to do it is to work in 30 minute slots rather than to slog for 2 hours! Do short bursts of productivity.

It's a bit weird, but I always found having nice stationary motivated me to do revsision, so use colours and diagrams for your notes.

GOOD LUCK!!! :smile: x
Hi Tiya_2000,How you do in your GCSE mock exams does not have much relation to how you will do in the real exams, plus GCSEs are no where as challenging as A Levels/ university, enjoy GCSEs while you can because they are as easy as academia gets!Some tips I would give however, for example maths make sure you know key formulae and do many practice questions/past papers, whereas for English I recommend you try to recall key quotes in whatever your learning and key writing techniques, I also found that for science creating mindmaps really helped, however if you do art I suggest making sure you are up to date with the coursework and with a foreign language try and remeber key tenses and read over your prep work:smile:
Reply 15
Hi......I'm new....but i can relate.Just doing my mock exams, got 4 left.One thing i've learnt is don't stress, even if exams are hard or anything the grade boundaries do go down.I can never revise when i have more than one subject to revise in one day.What i do is revise one subject in one day, probably that's why it takes me ages to get through all subjects...but seriously it helps me.....bouncing between subjects is not my thing.Just what i think :smile:
so mock exams are not that important?
Reply 17
They are important in the sense that they give you and your teachers a rough idea of how you are performing.
I've got my mocks in around 3 weeks and my school made us do pre-mocks in October - it really wasn't that bad all you have to remember is if you've revised as best you could you'll be fine and to get the best grades just don't panic because stress and panicking just wrecks you
[QUOTE="tiya_2000;60458559"]Hey Everyone!

Does anyone have any good tips for revising all the exams???[/QUOTE
For history I would recommend planning questions that might come up.

Quick Reply

Latest