The Student Room Group

S2 Hypothesis testing

Need help with 13c.

For an alternative conclusion it would mean we would reject Ho, so our z value would be less than -1.645?

Not sure how you work out the sum of x^2 though.

hmm that is a bit ****, it doesn't allow me to upload the photo? Anyone know how to fix that problem?

I think this should work: http://i64.tinypic.com/2ppc9ap.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super199
Need help with 13c.

For an alternative conclusion it would mean we would reject Ho, so our z value would be less than -1.645?

hmm that is a bit ****, it doesn't allow me to upload the photo? Anyone know how to fix that problem?

How are you trying to upload it?

What message do you get?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
How are you trying to upload it?

What message do you get?

The attachments thing and it comes up with a server error.
The attachments thing and it comes up with a server error.

Maybe try insert image if possible?
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Maybe try insert image if possible?

Doesn't work either. :/
Doesn't work either. :/

drawing.png

Hm.. it may be worth typing it out? :s-smilie:

Or finding the same question online somewhere if possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Need help with 13c.

Upload it using tinypic and post the link
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
drawing.png

Hm.. it may be worth typing it out? :s-smilie:

Or finding the same question online somewhere if possible.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ppc9ap.jpg

btw where was that photo taken?
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ppc9ap.jpg

btw where was that photo taken?

University of Bath campus, by the lake :smile:

I think that what you said about the z value is correct - and we can assume that the sum of x (and so the sample mean are correct), so the thing that we're in interested in is theta/n, which depends on the sum of x^2...
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
University of Bath campus, by the lake :smile:

I think that what you said about the z value is correct - and we can assume that the sum of x (and so the sample mean are correct), so the thing that we're in interested in is theta/n, which depends on the sum of x^2...

theta/n?
theta/n?

Sorry, I got sigma and theta mixed up (I'm doing stats work involving theta, sorry! :colondollar:)

The only unknown is sigma (the standard deviation) which depends on the variance, which depends on the sum of x^2.. so can you see how to find the 'correct' value of sigma?
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Sorry, I got sigma and theta mixed up (I'm doing stats work involving theta, sorry! :colondollar:)

The only unknown is sigma (the standard deviation) which depends on the variance, which depends on the sum of x^2.. so can you see how to find the 'correct' value of sigma?

Not really.
What I have done is put the standard deviation = sum of x^2/n - mean^2

Thought the standard deviation would be the square root of my sample variance and then tried rearranging for sum of x^2
Not really.
What I have done is put the standard deviation = sum of x^2/n - mean^2

Thought the standard deviation would be the square root of my sample variance and then tried rearranging for sum of x^2

Yes, that's correct... now the only thing you're missing is the standard deviation.
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, that's correct... now the only thing you're missing is the standard deviation.

Yeah but what is the standard deviation?
I used the equation and got 82.7?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah but what is the standard deviation?

It's to do with the value for which the hypothesis is rejected.
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
It's to do with the value for which the hypothesis is rejected.

Nah idek anymore i give up haha
Nah idek anymore i give up haha

From what I understand, the sample mean is fixed, the mean that you're testing (30) is fixed, and the z value that you need to get from the test to get a different conclusion (which you've already identified) so you need to find the value of the standard deviation that satisfies that equation, and then you can use the formula you've just defined (for the sum of x^2).
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM
From what I understand, the sample mean is fixed, the mean that you're testing (30) is fixed, and the z value that you need to get from the test to get a different conclusion (which you've already identified) so you need to find the value of the standard deviation that satisfies that equation, and then you can use the formula you've just defined (for the sum of x^2).

For the rejection of Ho. It would have to be -1.646>-1.645?

The answer is 106610.5

You may need to give me a full solution. I would try and post my working but attachments dont seem to work :frown:.
For the rejection of Ho. It would have to be -1.646>-1.645?

The answer is 106610.5

You may need to give me a full solution. I would try and post my working but attachments dont seem to work :frown:.

:s-smilie: I seem to be getting 106665 which is out by a bit, so perhaps the method is wrong.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by SeanFM
:s-smilie: I seem to be getting 106665 which is out by a bit, so perhaps the method is wrong.

Spoiler

Whats the reason for using -1.6449?

Quick Reply

Latest