The Student Room Group

a level mathematics trigonometry help!

solve the equation sec θ = 5 cosec θ for 0 θ

I don't know if I'm just confusing myself or this question is hard please help if you can :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nazz97

I don't know if I'm just confusing myself or this question is hard please help if you can :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

How would you go about solving this?

(for a lot of trig questions It may help to rewrite everything in terms of sin and cos)
Reply 2
Original post by nazz97

Convert them into sin and cos theta, simplify and divide both sides by cos theta. You should get an equation in tan.
Original post by ubisoft
Convert them into sin and cos theta, simplify and divide both sides by cos theta. You should get an equation in tan.

Or just multiply both sides by sin(theta) and solve...
Reply 4
Original post by ubisoft

If you're dividing by cosθ\cos \theta should you not account for the fact that cosθ=0\cos \theta = 0?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
If you're dividing by cosθ\cos \theta should you not account for the fact that cosθ=0\cos \theta = 0?

You're right, that could occur. You should factorise cosx instead.
Original post by Zacken

Isn't it obvious that you should just multiply by sin(theta) and that's it?
Original post by ubisoft

Dude, just multiply both sides by sin(theta), simple.
Reply 8
Original post by PrimeLime
Isn't it obvious that you should just multiply by sin(theta) and that's it?

Possibly, I haven't looked at the question. Just saw the post about dividing by cos and replied to that. Looking at it, I would multiply by sin theta as well and factorise; but it's okay if other people choose a different way to approach it. :-) (as long as it's valid and doesn't lose you solutions)
Original post by Zacken
Possibly, I haven't looked at the question. Just saw the post about dividing by cos and replied to that. Looking at it, I would multiply by sin theta as well and factorise; but it's okay if other people choose a different way to approach it. :-) (as long as it's valid and doesn't lose you solutions)

And factorise? If you multiply by sin(theta) you just get tan(theta)=5.
Don't think it's necessary to multiply everything through and factorise cos(theta) etc.
Original post by Zacken

Original post by ubisoft

In this circumstance you can get away with dividing by cosx, since cosx=0 can't be a solution, as sec x would have to be infinite.
Reply 11
And factorise? If you multiply by sin(theta) you just get tan(theta)=5.
Don't think it's necessary to multiply everything through and factorise cos(theta) etc.

Ah, indeed, I didn't read the question properly, I thought it was asec x = bcosec x + c
Yeah, you'd just get tan, you're right! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ghostwalker
In this circumstance you can get away with dividing by cosx, since cosx=0 can't be a solution, as sec x would have to be infinite.

Ah, that's true, thanks for that insight. That'll teach me to put pen to paper instead of talking crap. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, indeed, I didn't read the question properly, I thought it was asec x = bcosec x + c
Yeah, you'd just get tan, you're right! :smile:

Yeah I've noticed a lot of people that dive into converting to cosines/sines and multiplying everything through mechanically without thinking a bit to see if there are quicker ways (not talking about you :smile:). Sadly, this kind of thought is very common with most A-Level maths students.
Reply 14
Yeah I've noticed a lot of people that dive into converting to cosines/sines and multiplying everything through mechanically without thinking a bit to see if there are quicker ways (not talking about you :smile:). Sadly, this kind of thought is very common with most A-Level maths students.

There was a thread that came up with something like this (the way students learn methods instead of understanding) a few days ago, except it was in the context of integration. Can't remember it for the life of me though.
Original post by Zacken
There was a thread that came up with something like this (the way students learn methods instead of understanding) a few days ago, except it was in the context of integration. Can't remember it for the life of me though.

Speaking of integration, it's pretty shameful that schools don't even teach what integration even IS. They just say it's the reverse of differentiation. Oh, and it's also the area under a curve. And then they get you to do loads of mindless calculation.
I think students don't learn nearly enough understanding - I had to get all of mine from extra reading. It's pretty bad how most of A-Level is just an exercise in algebra...
Reply 16
thanks guys i can't believe that i was stuck in this question!! just to check :
1/ i wrote everything down in the form sin and cos
2/ then i multiplied everything by sin theta
3/ as a result i ended up with tan (theta)=5
4/ found the values of tan theta in degrees and got (1.373 and 4.514) correct to 3 decimal places
Reply 17
Original post by nazz97
4/ found the values of tan theta in degrees and got (1.373 and 4.514) correct to 3 decimal places

Those are radians.
Original post by nazz97

Number 4... why have you got it in radians? Does it ask for it in degrees or radians?
Original post by Marxist
Number 4... why have you got it in radians? Does it ask for it in degrees or radians?

The bounds given in the question are in radians, I think it'd be safe to assume radians will be used.

Quick Reply

Latest