The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law Applicants 2016

Hi!

I noticed there wasn't a thread for specifically law applicants and, seeing as we're all eager to know when the offers will start going out, I've made this thread!

Initially, post in this format:
Course:
AS grades (predicted/achieved):
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
LNAT score:
Current status: (not applied, applied, application acknowledged, interview, offer, rejection)

Feel free to ask any questions!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course: Law LLB
AS grades (achieved): AABC
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A (+ A* in the EPQ)
LNAT score: *completed, awaiting score*
Current status: Application acknowledged
(edited 8 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
AS grades (achieved): AAAB
A2 grades (predicted): A*AA
LNAT score: Completed
Course: Law with French Law LLB
IB grades (achieved): 38 overall with 7-6-6 in HL subjects
IB grades (pending retake of an exam): 40-42 overall with 7-6-6 in HL
LNAT score: completed, waiting for result (last year's score: 25)

Good luck guys :smile:
AS grades (achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted) A*A*A*
Lnat: completed, awaiting result
Application acknowledged.

Do they interview all law applications that stand a good chance? If so, when do we find out? :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Poppycharlotte
A2 grades (predicted) A*A*A*
Lnat: completed, awaiting result
Application acknowledged.

Do they interview all law applications that stand a good chance? If so, when do we find out? :tongue:

Hi! @applying2skool told me the following on the UCL general thread:
"If you have applied to one of our LLB Law with a European Legal System degree programmes (M141, M142, M144 and M146) programmes, and we are considering making an offer to you, we will invite you to attend an interview in order to assess your competence in the language of your programme.If you have applied to the LLB Law (M100) programme, and we have identified your application as requiring particular consideration, we may invite you to attend an interview as part of the application process."
There's also more info on what they're looking for, what to expect etc, so here's the link:
https://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/und...rview-process/"

Hope this helps!
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): A*A*A
LNAT: doing it on Nov 30th- is that pretty late?
Current status: About to send my application in :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by AnnaJBrady
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): A*A*A
LNAT: doing it on Nov 30th- is that pretty late?
Current status: About to send my application in :s-smilie:

Not late at all - I'd be surprised if many law offers have even gone out at that stage.
Original post by harina10
Not late at all - I'd be surprised if many law offers have even gone out at that stage.

Oh sweet- so are offers for law generally given out later than other subjects?
Reply 9
Original post by AnnaJBrady
Oh sweet- so are offers for law generally given out later than other subjects?

Definitely, especially at Russell Group unis (or specifically the top 10 for that matter). It's a combination of law being so competitive that there's a huge amount of applicants amongst few admissions tutors as well as them not wanting to be too hasty with who they give places to - it's as if law applicants get inadvertently pooled
Does anyone know when they will start giving out offers? (I don't think they gave us an approximate time :P )
A2 grades (achieved): A* A* A* A (+ A* in the EPQ)
LNAT score: completed (went awful though)

GCSEs weren't great so bit worried.
Hi! I have done my LNAT and my essay was dreadful, i was running out of time and I just completely messed it up, does anyone know if there is any point in applying to UCL and KCL?
Reply 13
Original post by monalizza
Hi! I have done my LNAT and my essay was dreadful, i was running out of time and I just completely messed it up, does anyone know if there is any point in applying to UCL and KCL?

If you're 80%+ sure it went bad, and I mean baaaaad then maybe apply to neither. 50% sure? Then just apply to one. Otherwise, both.

I think the LNAT is that kind of admissions test where you'll walk out there having absolutely 0 clue what is going to happen, the MCQs are unpredictable and the essay is obviously a subjective element.

So I think it's best you don't apply to 5 LNAT-requiring universities, but don't necessarily rule out ones you like because you think it went badly.
If you're 80%+ sure it went bad, and I mean baaaaad then maybe apply to neither. 50% sure? Then just apply to one. Otherwise, both.

I think the LNAT is that kind of admissions test where you'll walk out there having absolutely 0 clue what is going to happen, the MCQs are unpredictable and the essay is obviously a subjective element.

So I think it's best you don't apply to 5 LNAT-requiring universities, but don't necessarily rule out ones you like because you think it went badly.

Thanks! But do you know if the LNAT essay, forget about the first section, the questions, matters a lot? Would they reject an applicant, only because their essay was really bad?
Reply 15
Original post by monalizza
Thanks! But do you know if the LNAT essay, forget about the first section, the questions, matters a lot? Would they reject an applicant, only because their essay was really bad?

No, absolutely not. Unlike the UKCAT (for example), there is no definite 'pass mark' for any university. So, it'd be really unlikely for a university to reject someone based solely on the LNAT - they take a comprehensive approach looking at each and every aspect of the application. Don't worry yourself, the LNAT is by no means the be all and end all!:smile:
No, absolutely not. Unlike the UKCAT (for example), there is no definite 'pass mark' for any university. So, it'd be really unlikely for a university to reject someone based solely on the LNAT - they take a comprehensive approach looking at each and every aspect of the application. Don't worry yourself, the LNAT is by no means the be all and end all!:smile:

Thanks :biggrin: I think I am going to apply to UCL and KCL :tongue:
Reply 17
Course: M100
AS (achieved): AAAA
A2 (predicted):A*A*A*A (+A* EPQ)
LNAT: Completed
Current Status: Acknowledged
Personal Status: Bricking it
Course: M100
IB Predicted Grades: 777765 +3(ToK, EE)
LNAT: Done
Current Status: Acknowledged
Personal Status: Don't know how LNAT went. PS is great. International student here.
Reply 19
Course: Straight law
AS/A2 - international applicant (different grading system)
LNAT: completed (had enough time for the essay and have no idea how the reading part went)
Persnal Status: can't wait to find out how my LNAT went :biggrin:

When are they going to start giving out offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending