The Student Room Group

How long did your psychology offers take?

I'm applying for for Bath, Surrey, Cardiff, Exeter and Warwick. It's only been like 3 days since it all got sent off to UCAS. I know that the course and universities I've chosen are very competitive so I am a little worried. How long did it take for your offers to come through? And has anyone received any unconditionals from any of these institutions?
Original post by Isabel24
I'm applying for for Bath, Surrey, Cardiff, Exeter and Warwick. It's only been like 3 days since it all got sent off to UCAS. I know that the course and universities I've chosen are very competitive so I am a little worried. How long did it take for your offers to come through? And has anyone received any unconditionals from any of these institutions?

Don't worry - if you had good AS results and have good predicted grades then there's no reason why you wouldn't get offers. I'm at Bath, they definitely don't give unconditional offers, but I'm not sure about the others. I know it's easier said than done but don't panic, and also don't assume that if somewhere takes longer to get back to you that it will be a rejection - different places just have different procedures. Best of luck, and if you have any questions about psychology at Bath I'm happy to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to three of the same unis as you! Warwick took like 5 hours to give me an offer haha but haven't got any others yet since I only sent it off yesterday :smile: I wouldn't worry!
Original post by Millie1986
Don't worry - if you had good AS results and have good predicted grades then there's no reason why you wouldn't get offers. I'm at Bath, they definitely don't give unconditional offers, but I'm not sure about the others. I know it's easier said than done but don't panic, and also don't assume that if somewhere takes longer to get back to you that it will be a rejection - different places just have different procedures. Best of luck, and if you have any questions about psychology at Bath I'm happy to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you mind answering some of my questions about Bath? It's my top choice so I'm really hoping I'll get in there :smile:
Of course, ask away 😊
Reply 5
Original post by camillapaloma
I'm applying to three of the same unis as you! Warwick took like 5 hours to give me an offer haha but haven't got any others yet since I only sent it off yesterday :smile: I wouldn't worry!

Wow, that's quick! Got an offer from Warwick 2 days after but I didn't check it before track closed for maintenance :h:. What are your other choices and grades if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the reassurance! Got 3 offers fairly quickly, so the worrying was uncalled for. Yeah Bath is my top choice, but heard they usually wait till January. Have quite a few questions. When did you get your offer when you applied? Did you do the EPQ and did they incorporate it into the offer? Did you get a typical offer of A*AA? How intense is the course, i.e. how many lectures and essays a week? Do you know what you want to do for your placement? How's the area and the social scene? Thanks again
Thank you so much for the reassurance! Got 3 offers fairly quickly, so the worrying was uncalled for. Yeah Bath is my top choice, but heard they usually wait till January. Have quite a few questions. When did you get your offer when you applied? Did you do the EPQ and did they incorporate it into the offer? Did you get a typical offer of A*AA? How intense is the course, i.e. how many lectures and essays a week? Do you know what you want to do for your placement? How's the area and the social scene? Thanks again

Congratulations on the offers! Yes, psychology at Bath tends to be relatively late with offers - for a lot of people I know it was the one being waiting on, including for me. It's so that they can give genuine equal consideration to all candidates that apply before the UCAS deadline. They also take more time than a lot of places - lots of unis don't really read the personal statements and just give offers based on AS levels and predicted grades, whereas I know that our department reads every personal statement, and usually multiple people will read it. My offer wasn't actually based on A levels, so I am afraid I can't help you there, but for everyone I know that did do A levels their offer was A*AA - that is definitely the standard offer, and I don't know anyone who was offered something different. I don't think the EPQ is usually included in the offer, but I think it can make a difference if you are a near miss come results time. I think the intensity of the course is fairly similar to most psychology courses - about 10 - 12 contact hours a week, but quite a lot of reading. It also depends to an extent on what optional module you take - in 1st and 2nd year you get 1 optional module each semester, and contact time for these varies. You can also do foreign language modules on top of your degree as an extra if you want - I know a few people who do that.

I want a placement in clinical psychology as that is what I want to do. Ideally child and adolescent, but we'll see what happens! I've applied for a couple that I am waiting to hear about. It's exciting at the moment because placement offers are just starting to happen - I've got a couple of friends who will be going to Harvard for the year which is obviously a great opportunity. There is an enormous range of placements though, both in the UK and internationally, and in all areas of psychology - clinical, health, forensic, business, education, research etc.

Bath is a beautiful city, as you probably know. The campus has a very safe feel, and the buses into town are very frequent, although at peak times there are queues. I'm not a clubber, but there are a reasonable number of options for people who are - you can go out every night if you want (although that's probably not advisable!), and Bristol is only 10 minutes on the train if you want a bigger night out.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :smile:
Reply 8
Congratulations on the offers! Yes, psychology at Bath tends to be relatively late with offers - for a lot of people I know it was the one being waiting on, including for me. It's so that they can give genuine equal consideration to all candidates that apply before the UCAS deadline. They also take more time than a lot of places - lots of unis don't really read the personal statements and just give offers based on AS levels and predicted grades, whereas I know that our department reads every personal statement, and usually multiple people will read it. My offer wasn't actually based on A levels, so I am afraid I can't help you there, but for everyone I know that did do A levels their offer was A*AA - that is definitely the standard offer, and I don't know anyone who was offered something different. I don't think the EPQ is usually included in the offer, but I think it can make a difference if you are a near miss come results time. I think the intensity of the course is fairly similar to most psychology courses - about 10 - 12 contact hours a week, but quite a lot of reading. It also depends to an extent on what optional module you take - in 1st and 2nd year you get 1 optional module each semester, and contact time for these varies. You can also do foreign language modules on top of your degree as an extra if you want - I know a few people who do that.

I want a placement in clinical psychology as that is what I want to do. Ideally child and adolescent, but we'll see what happens! I've applied for a couple that I am waiting to hear about. It's exciting at the moment because placement offers are just starting to happen - I've got a couple of friends who will be going to Harvard for the year which is obviously a great opportunity. There is an enormous range of placements though, both in the UK and internationally, and in all areas of psychology - clinical, health, forensic, business, education, research etc.

Bath is a beautiful city, as you probably know. The campus has a very safe feel, and the buses into town are very frequent, although at peak times there are queues. I'm not a clubber, but there are a reasonable number of options for people who are - you can go out every night if you want (although that's probably not advisable!), and Bristol is only 10 minutes on the train if you want a bigger night out.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :smile:

Thank you so much, was very useful. It sounds amazing! I guess it's a lot nicer that they actually take the time to read through it. Ah I see. If it's a near miss- do you have to reject an insurance and go through clearing or do they decide straight away? Best of luck with the placements. Will do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much, was very useful. It sounds amazing! I guess it's a lot nicer that they actually take the time to read through it. Ah I see. If it's a near miss- do you have to reject an insurance and go through clearing or do they decide straight away? Best of luck with the placements. Will do.

No, they will decide whether they are accepting you or not before you get the results. They don't go into clearing, and some years they don't take near misses - it all depends on numbers for that year etc. I have heard of people getting in with a near miss, but I've also heard of people being rejected with a near miss, so it just seems to be down to if they have under or over recruited that year, and perhaps other factors I don't know about! But don't worry about any of that yet - all you can do is your best and see what happens. Good luck!

Im applying for Clinical Psychology at Exeter! Havent heard from them yet, application went off a week ago!
Hi Isabel,

I'm a current second year Psychology student at Bath, on the four year placement course. Don't worry if you haven't received an offer yet - decisions will be made as quickly as possible, however it may take some time, but this will be by the end of March. As you can see on our website, all applications received before the 15th January UCAS deadline are given equal consideration. When I applied, I didn't receive my offer until the end of March, so try not to worry!

I am really enjoying the Psychology course at Bath. The module choices are very varied, meaning you get to cover lots of different areas of psychology. There is also a chance to choose optional modules from other subjects such as Politics, Sociology and foreign languages, which gives you a chance to study subjects you might not have done before.

For the placement degree, there is a huge range of placements available in both the UK and internationally in countries such as the USA, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. There are opportunities in all areas of psychology including clinical, health, forensic, education, business and research. The placement is a real advantage of the Bath course as it is usually very difficult to get work experience in Psychology, and this will look great on your CV when you apply for jobs in the future.

Bath is a great city for students - there is loads to do both in the city and at the university, such as volunteering, student societies and sports. If you have any questions about student life in Bath, or the course please feel free to quote me. Good luck!

Beth

Quick Reply

Latest