The Student Room Group

Worried about next year, should I change accommodation?

I'm halfway through my first term at university, and while I've met a couple of people on my course, most of the people in my classes are second and third years. The people in my flat all seem nice, but one of them is a second year, one is an international student who's only here for the year, one does most of her course in a different part of the campus and isn't here much, and one I've only seen twice since the beginning of the year. There's only one other person who's a first year as well, and she also has a very different timetable. I'm worried about finding people to live with next year; should I try to change accommodation, live by myself next year, or live on campus again for second year?
Have you tried joining any societies or anything like that to meet people? It sounds like in your situation you really have to make a strong effort to find people who will continue to be around for the next 2 years.

I will say though if you do decide to change accommodation you will more than likely need to find someone to replace you on your current contract otherwise you will continue to be charged rent. So whatever you do (and a lot of people have done this) don't sign for a new place without completely cutting off any liability to your current contract or you could end up in a lot of trouble.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Have you tried joining any societies or anything like that to meet people? It sounds like in your situation you really have to make a strong effort to find people who will continue to be around for the next 2 years.

I will say though if you do decide to change accommodation you will more than likely need to find someone to replace you on your current contract otherwise you will continue to be charged rent. So whatever you do (and a lot of people have done this) don't sign for a new place without completely cutting off any liability to your current contract or you could end up in a lot of trouble.

I have joined various societies, but generally the people I end up talking to there are also in the years above, and the other first years tend to come in groups from their own flats.
Original post by Cbarretthome
I have joined various societies, but generally the people I end up talking to there are also in the years above, and the other first years tend to come in groups from their own flats.

Ah I see, well even still. Just keep trying. It's not like you have anything to lose by trying, but you definitely won't gain anything by giving up.

Also we had a guy join our student house this year we didn't previously know (long story short we had to kick someone out and find a replacement last minute) and he quickly became part of the family. So it's not like there is no hope even if you don't find specific people to move in with, there are always people looking for someone to fill spare rooms for varying reasons.
Reply 4
Ok, thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending