The Student Room Group

Psychology OR Psychology and Criminology?

Im really struggling, I dont know whether I should do just Psychology on its own or psychology and criminology.
Can I apply for both courses? How will I write this in my personal statement?
Ive written that I want to do psychology and Criminology on my personal statement, should I just write psychology instead? Do universities mind? argh , im so confused

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ricefarmer
Im really struggling, I dont know whether I should do just Psychology on its own or psychology and criminology.
Ive written that I want to do psychology and Criminology on my personal statement, should I just write psychology instead? Do universities mind? argh , im so confused

I applied for various joint and single honours. Don't mention the subject by name if you don't need to. Find modules that are a recurring theme across all of your courses and talk about those :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
I applied for various joint and single honours. Don't mention the subject by name if you don't need to. Find modules that are a recurring theme across all of your courses and talk about those :smile:

what did you apply for?
im so stressed out about this :frown:
what did you apply for?
im so stressed out about this :frown:

I applied for:
Politics and Sociology
Political Science and Sociology
Political Communications
Social Analytics and Politics
International Politics and Intelligence Studies.

As I said I picked out common modules and focused on those and work experience/extra-curricular activity. I have 4/5 offers so far :smile:
Reply 4
I applied for:
Politics and Sociology
Political Communications

As I said I picked out common modules and focused on those and work experience/extra-curricular activity. I have 4/5 offers so far :smile:

Do you think this is a good selection?
Psychology - loughborough
Psychology - Southampton
Psychology and Criminology - De montfort
Psychology and Criminology - Coventry
Psychology - sussex

i got AAB at AS
Im predicted AAA, but i'm worried i will only get AAB

Year 13 is so stressful, im actually so scared
Psychology - Southampton
Psychology - sussex

i got AAB at AS

I don't know what grades those Unis ask for. I'd say to apply to 1/2 above what you think you'll get and then the rest you should be realistic with. I got ABC at AS and am predicted AAB for A2. My firm university is Cardiff for ABB.
Yeah year 13 is horrific compared to AS year... which subjects/exam boards are you doing? :smile:
Reply 6
I don't know what grades those Unis ask for. I'd say to apply to 1/2 above what you think you'll get and then the rest you should be realistic with. I got ABC at AS and am predicted AAB for A2. My firm university is Cardiff for ABB.
Yeah year 13 is horrific compared to AS year... which subjects/exam boards are you doing? :smile:

yeah the grades vary from AAA-AAB-AAB-ABB-BBB

ive heard cardiff is really good!!

Im doing psychology Aqa, sociology aqa and business studies aqa
what about yyou?

If you opt for the combined course make sure that the psychology aspects are sufficient to get you a BPS accredited degree in case you ever wish to take your psychology studies further.
I applied for:
Politics and Sociology
Political Communications

4 out of 5! Well done! Who you still waiting to hear from?
yeah the grades vary from AAA-AAB-AAB-ABB-BBB

ive heard cardiff is really good!!

Im doing psychology Aqa, sociology aqa and business studies aqa
what about yyou?

Sociology AQA, Psychology OCR and Film Studies WJEC :smile:

Original post by AmyPilot
4 out of 5! Well done! Who you still waiting to hear from?

Swansea! How's it going for you? :smile:

Swansea! How's it going for you? :smile:

Oh well, there is always one that drags their heels - sure you will get your final decision soon then you can put it all to the back of your mind and concentrate on your studies - Y13 is just all go go go :smile:

All well with me - first bit of year 2 assessed work due soon though!
Oh well, there is always one that drags their heels - sure you will get your final decision soon then you can put it all to the back of your mind and concentrate on your studies - Y13 is just all go go go :smile:

All well with me - first bit of year 2 assessed work due soon though!

It's the most stressul year of my life, haha :biggrin: But I have things to take my mind off it so hopefully I won't get too stressed.

Good Lcuk with your work! :smile:
Reply 12
If you opt for the combined course make sure that the psychology aspects are sufficient to get you a BPS accredited degree in case you ever wish to take your psychology studies further.

Yeah, those courses are definitely accredited, it was the first thing i checked!

emiloujess,
how are you finding sociology, what topics did you choose? Im doing mass media and crime and deviance :frown: Not particularly liking mass media :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="ricefarmer;60478739"]Yeah, those courses are definitely accredited, it was the first thing i checked!

Omg, how are you finding sociology, what topics did you choose? Im doing mass media and crime and deviance :frown: Not particularly liking mass media :frown:

Just thought I would mention it but pleased you have considered the accreditation point. I do a joint honours course and some of my classmates got a shock last year when they found out that if the psychology wasn't a major aspect of their combined honours (depending on what the other subject was) then it wasn't sufficient for accreditation.

Oh and butting in, but I loved sociology at A level lol :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 14
[QUOTE="AmyPilot;60478903"]
Yeah, those courses are definitely accredited, it was the first thing i checked!

Just thought I would mention it but pleased you have considered the accreditation point. I do a joint honours course and some of my classmates got a shock last year when they found out that if the psychology wasn't a major aspect of their combined honours (depending on what the other subject was) then it wasn't sufficient for accreditation.

Oh and butting in, but I loved sociology at A level lol :biggrin:

Good luck!

What do you study at university now? was it hard choosing your 5 options? What was year 13 like for you?
and thanks!
[QUOTE="ricefarmer;60479071"]

What do you study at university now? was it hard choosing your 5 options? What was year 13 like for you?
and thanks!

I study Psychology & Speech Pathology (speech and language therapy).

It wasn't really hard to pick my unis as speech therapy was my main focus and only a handful of unis offer the course (and only one offered the joint option). I studied one module for psychology last year and the other three were related to the speech therapy side (which includes aspects of child psychology so that's why mine is definitely accredited whereas some of my psychology coursemates last year (one of which was also doing criminology) found out that if they didn't major in psychology then no accredited degree)! That's why I jumped in with the accreditation reference.

I enjoyed year 13 - loved the 2 years I spent at college - so much better than school. I took A levels in sociology psychology English lit/lang and RS. The applying to uni lark was not fun however - had to attend all my choices for written interviews etc and waited ages for replies, but that's the nature of the course I picked. Was very jealous of my friends who applied for traditional courses and just got the offers with no additional effort lol.

Sure you will do fine :smile:

emiloujess,
how are you finding sociology, what topics did you choose? Im doing mass media and crime and deviance :frown: Not particularly liking mass media :frown:

We're doing Beliefs in Society and Crime & Deviance. Beliefs is actually really interesting but a lot to remember! :frown: What did you get at AS Soc?
Reply 17
We're doing Beliefs in Society and Crime & Deviance. Beliefs is actually really interesting but a lot to remember! :frown: What did you get at AS Soc?

I got an A, but i have no idea how. I hated sociology the most!
I would probably go for Psychology or Criminology :smile:
If you include Criminology, you lose BPS accreditation I think?? (which means you can't apply for the high paying Psych jobs, if you think you want to do them later on - e.g. clinical psychology).
Psychology - Southampton
Psychology - sussex

i got AAB at AS

With those grades don't waste applications with the last three as you can do better than that! Push yourself and apply to the best universities - you can do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending