The Student Room Group

Leaving University

So I've come to the conclusion that i want to leave University, well this University mainly because its so far away from my friends and family making myself become a lot worse with some specific personal issues i have, however i do intend to go back to University after the new year, in September when the new terms start at a nearer University to my hometown. I would just like to know how i can go underway with leaving? I am aware that the tuition fees w for this year - my first year - would not need to paid till i start earning over the set limit in a job but i would like some input on how my maintenance loans would need to paid? Do i need to pay them back right away or would they add up to my final sum of fees after i graduate from a nearer University that i start in 2016?
They recalculate what you'd be entitled to for the duration that you were at university and if you've been overpaid they'll ask you to pay it back immediately.

I left uni about three weeks ago and they recalculated my loan to be about £200 for the few weeks I was there but they paid me £1200 at the start of term so that 200 is added to my overall debt and doesn't need to be repaid straight away but the £1000 overpayment does. If you can't pay it all off you can phone them up and pay what you can off then they'll put your account on hold for a month (my position now) or you can probably set up a monthly repayment schedule or something. I think that's what I'm gonna have to do.

If this is a problem I'd suggest waiting it out until your next loan payment is scheduled so that when they recalculate there isn't much difference between what you're entitled to and what you've already been paid.
So I'm in my 6th week of University now so how much would I possibly have to pay??
Also what do you think would happen with my maintenance loans because I do not have any money left of my loans or anything so how would I be able to pay this stuff off??
The maintenance loan is what I'm talking about. If you can't pay it all back immediately then you might have to pay them back a small amount every month.

I don't know how much they payed you for your first loan installment so I don't know how much you'd have to pay back. Just think of it like if you're a third of the way through the time between when you get the first payment in September and the next payment in January then you'll have to pay a third of it back.
That's why I suggest you wait it out a bit until nearer your next loan payment so the amount you have to pay back to them isn't as much.
Ah I'm sorry about the message before i was panicking a lot more at the time than i should have been. I have managed to get an interview with the undergraduate ad visor tomorrow but can you remember how long it toke for you to be able to move back home round about?
It took me a week.
I'd already made up my mind for sure before I'd even told anyone in the department about it so it was fairly quick. On the Monday I filled out the form and took it to the senior tutor who had to sign it, he asked me a few questions just to make sure I'd made an informed decision and that was it. I told my accommodation I was leaving and by the Friday I was gone. Then about a week and a half after I'd handed the form in I got confirmation by email that my withdrawal had been processed.
Of course it depends on the uni and what their procedure is but they shouldn't make you wait around if you've made a decision.
Was there any type of payments that needed to be made on the spot while you were going through the process? Including any withdrawal payments from your accommodation or anything? Im sorry im just trying to get an idea of how I can get through this today. Also do you think I could email the confirmation form to them as I would like to not stay here for another week and a half to just hand in a letter.
I didn't have to pay anything up front.

I suppose you could email it to them and explain that you've made your mind up and your reasons for leaving. The only reason I had to see the guy in person was because he wanted to ask me my reasons and make sure that there wasn't anything they could do to keep me there. It might be best to go to your department (or wherever you need to get a signature from) with the form and ask if you can leave it there for someone to sign it. Then just let your accommodation know you're leaving and you should be free to go whenever. You should be able to get it all done in one day.

Quick Reply

Latest