The Student Room Group

Physical or Mental health problem? Advice? Please...

I've got this thing... I'm not sure exactly what it is, doctors are still trying to help. It seems I have an intolerance to dairy, which causes me severe upset stomach and wind both ways, as well as my stomach gurgling abnormally loudly... and it's caused me to leave assembly and be late to classes because I'm too scared to go instead I do something embarrassing and everyone will laugh, particularly in a small class or assembly when it is silent and I might... Well. You can guess. I'm on Buscopan because one doctor thinks it's IBS but It's not and that just makes it worse... However the actual thought of the assemblies and lessons make it worse too. Spanish in particular. That's my favourite lesson, or was, but I feel like I can't go to it anymore because of this... I don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy. I've been moved to the back of assembly halls so I can sit near the door if I need to make a dash but it doesn't change my fears... Is there ANYONE else that has this? Please help:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lahmejacks
I've got this thing... I'm not sure exactly what it is, doctors are still trying to help. It seems I have an intolerance to dairy, which causes me severe upset stomach and wind both ways, as well as my stomach gurgling abnormally loudly... and it's caused me to leave assembly and be late to classes because I'm too scared to go instead I do something embarrassing and everyone will laugh, particularly in a small class or assembly when it is silent and I might... Well. You can guess. I'm on Buscopan because one doctor thinks it's IBS but It's not and that just makes it worse... However the actual thought of the assemblies and lessons make it worse too. Spanish in particular. That's my favourite lesson, or was, but I feel like I can't go to it anymore because of this... I don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy. I've been moved to the back of assembly halls so I can sit near the door if I need to make a dash but it doesn't change my fears... Is there ANYONE else that has this? Please help:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds like a physical condition that is causing anxiety. I assume the doctors are doing things like blood tests and selective diets to find a cause. You mentioned dairy- have you been tested for lactose/ casein intolerance?

anxiety can cause stomach upset/ pain so it getting worse when you think about assembly etc could be anxiety.

have you told the doctor that what you're on isn't helping? Hopefully they will find a cause soon and you can sort out the root cause but until then you can look around for resources to help you with the anxiety side and give you at lest a bit of comfort.

sorry I can't be of more use. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
sounds like a physical condition that is causing anxiety. I assume the doctors are doing things like blood tests and selective diets to find a cause. You mentioned dairy- have you been tested for lactose/ casein intolerance?

anxiety can cause stomach upset/ pain so it getting worse when you think about assembly etc could be anxiety.

have you told the doctor that what you're on isn't helping? Hopefully they will find a cause soon and you can sort out the root cause but until then you can look around for resources to help you with the anxiety side and give you at lest a bit of comfort.

sorry I can't be of more use. Good luck.

Yes that's right. Everything came back as normal. I have, it's difficult because as there's no medical evidence to prove a problem they're not sympathetic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean its not a problem, and don't be ashamed. Anxiety is part of what I have PTSD.

I explain its like breaking a bone, you cant always see it on the surface but it hurts and will take a long time to heal. I know it might be scary or you may not see why but consider therapy, I feel I have found a lot out about myself that I didn't even think of as part of my problem. Good luck x
Original post by lahmejacks
Yes that's right. Everything came back as normal. I have, it's difficult because as there's no medical evidence to prove a problem they're not sympathetic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

just as the last person said, don't be ashamed because of the lack of medical evidence. A lot of conditions (especially mental) don't seem to have any evidence at face value because its so deep in your system and doctors don't really know what they are looking for yet. Often with mental health conditions like anxiety your neurons in your brain fire slightly differently and they can be linked to chemical imbalances so there is evidence- it just hasn't been found in you.
if you would like to try to cope with the anxiety better try counselling or therapy.

I know its difficult to deal with, but just remember you aren't alone. I have stomach upsets and other general pains that currently don't seem to have a cause. Its annoying because it means I don't know how to help it get better or if I even can. I'm quite paranoid about my health so I'm still trying to get more and more tests done or thinking I have some crazy rare disease. A lot of people accept that there are just pains and discomforts with "no cause".

if it really bothers you then keep pushing for more tests, but otherwise just try to experiment to see how you can keep it as controlled as possible.
Reply 5
I'm not at the point where I would miss a lesson but I do have the same issues as you I'm always worried my tummy will make dying noises in small classes and makes me really nervous I try to drink a lot of water which tends to help a bit. I feel like it may be a but psychological as this doesn't happen when I'm on my on only when I'm in small classes. As for lactose intolerance try not having lactose for a week or so and see of it helps at least then you'll know if that's got anything to do with it as I do find lactose makes me a bit bloated and uncomfortable so I use lactose free alpro products instead now which helps with bloating.
Original post by Hollyht
I'm not at the point where I would miss a lesson but I do have the same issues as you I'm always worried my tummy will make dying noises in small classes and makes me really nervous I try to drink a lot of water which tends to help a bit. I feel like it may be a but psychological as this doesn't happen when I'm on my on only when I'm in small classes. As for lactose intolerance try not having lactose for a week or so and see of it helps at least then you'll know if that's got anything to do with it as I do find lactose makes me a bit bloated and uncomfortable so I use lactose free alpro products instead now which helps with bloating.

Thank u :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
just as the last person said, don't be ashamed because of the lack of medical evidence. A lot of conditions (especially mental) don't seem to have any evidence at face value because its so deep in your system and doctors don't really know what they are looking for yet. Often with mental health conditions like anxiety your neurons in your brain fire slightly differently and they can be linked to chemical imbalances so there is evidence- it just hasn't been found in you.
if you would like to try to cope with the anxiety better try counselling or therapy.

I know its difficult to deal with, but just remember you aren't alone. I have stomach upsets and other general pains that currently don't seem to have a cause. Its annoying because it means I don't know how to help it get better or if I even can. I'm quite paranoid about my health so I'm still trying to get more and more tests done or thinking I have some crazy rare disease. A lot of people accept that there are just pains and discomforts with "no cause".

if it really bothers you then keep pushing for more tests, but otherwise just try to experiment to see how you can keep it as controlled as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest