The Student Room Group

Journalism - What Uni is best?

I'm looking at getting ABB from my A-Levels and I was wondering if anyone has any Uni recommendations for Journalism/Multimedia Journalism. I'm looking at a few at the moment but I want to get a second opinion before I send off my 5 choices in my UCAS form. 👌
Reply 1
Hi

I know Teeside and Sheffield are very good for Journalism and are ranked in the 10 ten for journalism in the UK
Hi, hope it's not too late. I applied for journalism too and as far as I know Cardiff is the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied for Journalism
What do you all think of Portsmouth University? (got same great stats on Which University) dont know why its ranked 39th for Journalism
Original post by 6thformer25
Applied for Journalism
What do you all think of Portsmouth University? (got same great stats on Which University) dont know why its ranked 39th for Journalism

Honestly I've never heard of it, but that's probably because I'm not from the UK. Anyway, I think that one of the things that matter the most is your interest in the course. For example, my insurance Choice is Leeds Beckett and my dad is quite upset because it hasn't an high ranking for media studies, but they don't seem to offer that same course anywhere else in the UK and I'd love to attend it if I don't get to Cardiff. So if you like it, go ahead and give it a try :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sbrizio1
Honestly I've never heard of it, but that's probably because I'm not from the UK. Anyway, I think that one of the things that matter the most is your interest in the course. For example, my insurance Choice is Leeds Beckett and my dad is quite upset because it hasn't an high ranking for media studies, but they don't seem to offer that same course anywhere else in the UK and I'd love to attend it if I don't get to Cardiff. So if you like it, go ahead and give it a try :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they course is great... im defo going there! Just hope i pass the interview and get accepted and that i like the uni when i go
Great! Let us know about your interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great! Let us know about your interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep i will do! on 3rd February

Where you from and what sort of journalism you interested in going into?
yep i will do! on 3rd February

Where you from and what sort of journalism you interested in going into?

I'm from a small town in Northern Italy :smile: Actually I'd like to work in the creative industries, for example publishing. I've firmed Cardiff because the course is very academically driven and allows you to access different fields in the world of media other than pure journalism. Of course I don't mind the perspective of becoming a journalist, but in that case I'd like to write about books and literature :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from a small town in Northern Italy :smile: Actually I'd like to work in the creative industries, for example publishing. I've firmed Cardiff because the course is very academically driven and allows you to access different fields in the world of media other than pure journalism. Of course I don't mind the perspective of becoming a journalist, but in that case I'd like to write about books and literature :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to become a sport journalist doing anything probably broadcasting because i heard it doesnt always mean you have to be infront of the camera you could just work for a broadcasting companay and Portsmouth has optional modules in year 2 (sport journalism) and year 3 (broadcasting journalism) so its perfect.... but its not ranked high so if i get higher i might go Sheffield but really i think i might just go Portsmouth regardless.. the Uni course matters more and on Which University it has the same stats
i think i might just go Portsmouth regardless.. the Uni course matters more and on Which University it has the same stats

Yeah, amen to that! Anyway, I visited Sheffield on an open day last summer, and it's not bad at all :smile: I had even applied but I decided to withdraw because it is not the best city to live in if you're on a wheelchair like I am. Sport journalist sounds like a great job! I wish you all the best with your studies and your future career :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, amen to that! Anyway, I visited Sheffield on an open day last summer, and it's not bad at all :smile: I had even applied but I decided to withdraw because it is not the best city to live in if you're on a wheelchair like I am. Sport journalist sounds like a great job! I wish you all the best with your studies and your future career :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah thats a shame mate but dw you will find something! Any other Uni in mind? Maybe portsmouth! and yeah sport journalism is the best for me since im a mad football fan... (even watching a fifa vid whilst typing this xD) and i have written a few articles regarding football and own a facebook page... i wish you the best too bro good luck
ah thats a shame mate but dw you will find something! Any other Uni in mind? Maybe portsmouth! and yeah sport journalism is the best for me since im a mad football fan... (even watching a fifa vid whilst typing this xD) and i have written a few articles regarding football and own a facebook page... i wish you the best too bro good luck

The only thing I'm absolutely sure about right now is that I'm gonna firm Cardiff. I'm waiting for the applicants day at Leeds Beckett to decide whether to put it as insurance or not. If I don't meet the grades for Cardiff and don't go to Leeds Beckett I guess I'll have to stay in Italy., but I really hope not! Thanks for the nice chat and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only thing I'm absolutely sure about right now is that I'm gonna firm Cardiff. I'm waiting for the applicants day at Leeds Beckett to decide whether to put it as insurance or not. If I don't meet the grades for Cardiff and don't go to Leeds Beckett I guess I'll have to stay in Italy., but I really hope not! Thanks for the nice chat and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well whatever the decision is good luck! Whos knows we might cross paths one day as journalists xD
Reply 14
Hey! I have both offers from Sheffield and Cardiff.. as far as I can tell Sheffield is better for the NCTJ training but Cardiff was ranked 1st by Guardian which I don't understand because it's not even an accredited course. Also they are both Russel group unis but I heard that Sheffield was higher tier. Have any of you made decisions?
Original post by miaxov
Hey! I have both offers from Sheffield and Cardiff.. as far as I can tell Sheffield is better for the NCTJ training but Cardiff was ranked 1st by Guardian which I don't understand because it's not even an accredited course. Also they are both Russel group unis but I heard that Sheffield was higher tier. Have any of you made decisions?

I have firmed Cardiff for Media, Journalism and Culture :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending