The Student Room Group

Oxbridge USA Applicants

Anyone apply to Oxford or Cambridge from the US? How were your admissions tests? What did you apply for? :smile:

I applied for PPE at Somerville College, Oxford. I'm from Boston!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm applying for history and politics from the DC area. I was just wondering -- when they ask for marked work, does that mean they're looking for work that was part of an assignment in school, or work that literally was written upon by a teacher? Thanks!! :smile:
Reapplying to Oxford for E&M, Hertford College from New York City.
Reply 3
Original post by humortime
Reapplying to Oxford for E&M, Hertford College from New York City.

Ambitious! I'm definitely reapplying if I don't get accepted this year! Probably will be at Duke and then try again, maybe for a different course. How did you do on the TSA the first time? Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Politheistic
Hi! I'm applying for history and politics from the DC area. I was just wondering -- when they ask for marked work, does that mean they're looking for work that was part of an assignment in school, or work that literally was written upon by a teacher? Thanks!! :smile:

I'm not sure! I think marked by a teacher from what I've read on other threads. I don't have to submit written work - try asking on this thread to be safe though! -> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2730251&p=60495933#post60495933
Original post by Nikki2317
Ambitious! I'm definitely reapplying if I don't get accepted this year! Probably will be at Duke and then try again, maybe for a different course. How did you do on the TSA the first time? Best of luck!

Duke is great, they definitely look at people who take a foundation year more highly than those right out of high school. I got a 65.5 last year, 65.3 on CR and 65.8 on PS, so I definitely had room to improve there. Thanks, you too! Planning on going to Oxford for interview if you're offered on?
Reply 6
Original post by humortime
Duke is great, they definitely look at people who take a foundation year more highly than those right out of high school. I got a 65.5 last year, 65.3 on CR and 65.8 on PS, so I definitely had room to improve there. Thanks, you too! Planning on going to Oxford for interview if you're offered on?

wow that's a really high score to be honest! and really balanced too! congratulations:smile: Yes I would much rather do the interviews in person, and it's an excuse to go to England haha. I already know I got 3 incorrect on the TSA and then I guessed on 3 more sooo we'll see😁😁 I have met all of the qualifications and feel pretty good about my personal statement but I know PPE is a competetive course, right behind E&M. #sigh. I don't mind reapplying though. im glad to know I wouldn't be the only one!
Reply 7
I'm from New Jersey, and I'm applying to Lincoln for English. I've gotten through the ELAT & sent in my written work, so all that's left now is to wait! This whole process is so different from the US--how are you guys finding it? Did any of you apply to any other UK schools? (I took advantage of the UCAS to apply to UCL, King's, St. Andrews, and Edinburgh)
Reply 8
Original post by Politheistic

Greetings fellow DC-ite! I applied for chemistry at Merton from Northern Virginia. I hope everyone's admissions tests went well! My subject doesn't require one though. I already got accepted by the University of Edinburgh, so if I don't get into Oxford, I'll probably be going there. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey all.. I'm not applying with US grades, but could I ask if you're all applying to US colleges too? :smile: And if so, which ones?
Reply 10
Original post by Student403
Hey all.. I'm not applying with US grades, but could I ask if you're all applying to US colleges too? :smile: And if so, which ones?

I am applying to so many US schools tbh, it's kind of ridiculous. I applied early to Harvard, but I'm also shooting for Yale or Brown or Chicago (or Tufts or Swarthmore, among others). I've actually already gotten into King's, so I have something to fall back on, fortunately.
Original post by crose
I am applying to so many US schools tbh, it's kind of ridiculous. I applied early to Harvard, but I'm also shooting for Yale or Brown or Chicago (or Tufts or Swarthmore, among others). I've actually already gotten into King's, so I have something to fall back on, fortunately.

Cool :smile: Yeah that tends to happen.. It's nice that there's no limit on US schools one can apply to.
Reply 12
Original post by crose
I'm from New Jersey, and I'm applying to Lincoln for English. I've gotten through the ELAT & sent in my written work, so all that's left now is to wait! This whole process is so different from the US--how are you guys finding it? Did any of you apply to any other UK schools? (I took advantage of the UCAS to apply to UCL, King's, St. Andrews, and Edinburgh)

Yeah, the process is totally different but I like it a lot better! I really like the personal statement as opposed to just the American style anecdotal college essay. The only school I applied to abroad was Oxford! Good luck!
Yeah, the process is totally different but I like it a lot better! I really like the personal statement as opposed to just the American style anecdotal college essay. The only school I applied to abroad was Oxford! Good luck!

If you don't mind, which ones in the US have you applied for? ^^ I'm applying to both countries as well but from a British system! I feel like the American colleges are much harder to be accepted to due to the focus on academics AND extracurriculars
Reply 14
If you don't mind, which ones in the US have you applied for? ^^ I'm applying to both countries as well but from a British system! I feel like the American colleges are much harder to be accepted to due to the focus on academics AND extracurriculars

I've only applied to Duke University and Oxford! And I suppose it depends on which schools.. Extracurriculars are important, but probably your essays and supplements weigh more
I've only applied to Duke University and Oxford! And I suppose it depends on which schools.. Extracurriculars are important, but probably your essays and supplements weigh more

Wow 2? I've never heard of someone doing that! Good luck :biggrin: Bold part is probably very true.. I hope recommendations are given a decent bit of weight. Unfortunately I think they're one of my strongest suits in the whole thing :sad: Wish I had better ECAs.. Essays I really hate with a passion lol

I totally agree on the personal statement. The essays for American universities are so contrived; I like the straight forward personal statement much better. Did you already apply for Duke? I'm holding off on my application to Princeton until the regular decision deadline.
Reply 17
I applied to read biological sciences at Merton from Maryland, in a suburb of DC. I am applying with SAT (2230), subject exams (Math2. Biology E, US History, Spanish, and Literature), and AP exams (Enviro, NSL, and US History)

Have any of you received word on interviews?
Reply 18

Me too! I feel a lot more confident with just my scores and basic qualifications. It seems to be geared more towards academic capability rather than doing a crazy amount of extracurriculars. Except for the whole conditional offer thing, the process feels a lot more straightforward and less of a lottery (except for OxBridge)--you can sort of predict where you'll get in, which is reassuring.

Cool :smile: Yeah that tends to happen.. It's nice that there's no limit on US schools one can apply to.

I like that I'm not limited, yeah, but at the same time it makes everything so much more competitive, y'know? Because we're all applying to 10+ schools each, and most of them are the same 10+ schools, there are a lot more people competing for the same spots in a sort of "what the hell, I might as well apply" kind of thing, so it's a bit more random. Still, I'm glad I don't have to choose right here & now where I want to go and what I want to do.

Original post by Agax2468
Have any of you received word on interviews?

Nothing yet, but I've applied for English at Lincoln which seems to like to take things slow, and there's an awful lot of reading to do. I've heard some of the sciencey ones without admissions tests have started getting offers, but most people are still waiting. Do you plan on going out there if you get invited?
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you really believe that most personal statements can be described as straightforward? :lol: Have a look at the personal statement library on this website - they're all real statements and every bit as contrived as essays you might need to write for American universities.

Original post by djangosp2
I totally agree on the personal statement. The essays for American universities are so contrived; I like the straight forward personal statement much better. Did you already apply for Duke? I'm holding off on my application to Princeton until the regular decision deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending