The Student Room Group

Is North Africa, Tunisia, Egypt now a no go area for tourists?

In less than 10 months there have been 3 brutal terror attacks in North Africa. 2 in Tunisia, museum massacre and beach massacre which combined has left over 60 innocent tourists dead.

The 3rd atrocity in Egypt (if proven to be terror as its looking likely) with 224 dead.

That's 280 tourists killed in North Africa in 10 months!

I used to visit Tunisia a lot, but in recent years its felt uneasy. Now there is no way I would ever go back to Tunisia, especially now ISIS occupies some parts of the country. Many ISIS members in Syria are Tunisian and plan to bring their Jihad back to Tunisia.
Tunisia and Egypt border Libya which is lawless and run amok by violent jihadists. There are also terrorist groups in Algeria. The borders of Tunisia are quite insecure.

The risk of bombings, gun massacres and kidnappings for ransom in Tunisia is now too high.

However a lot of people are saying that avoiding Tunisia is giving victory to ISIS, but should our people be martyrs and risk losing their lives to another massacre to save tourism or prove a point to ISIS?

I was quite shocked to see holidays next summer are being sold in Tunisia by leading tour firms as if everything is hunky dory!

We must remember tourists can choose where they want to holiday, but so long as tourists continue to visit risky places like Tunisia, holiday reps will be sent there too. Holiday reps CAN NOT choose where to go.
Many of these reps are young people on gap years etc doing their dream job in travel, they're peoples children, siblings girl friends, boy friends etc. Is it right their lives should be put at risk too?
(edited 8 years ago)
If news reports and the like say don't go to Tunisia, then don't. frickin. go. to. Tunisia.

Agencies and whatnot will do whatever they can to keep their clients' monies if things don't go to plan i.e. they get killed. :indiff:

I don't understand why you'd be willing to risk your life to prove a point to ISIS :lolwut:
Original post by Ambitious1999
In less than 10 months there have been 3 brutal terror attacks in North Africa. 2 in Tunisia, museum massacre and beach massacre which combined has left over 60 innocent tourists dead.

The 3rd atrocity in Egypt (if proven to be terror as its looking likely) with 224 dead.

I used to visit Tunisia a lot, but in recent years its felt uneasy. Now there is no way I would ever go back to Tunisia, especially now ISIS occupies some parts of the country. Many ISIS members in Syria are Tunisian and plan to bring their Jihad back to Tunisia.
Tunisia and Egypt border Libya which is lawless and run amok by violent jihadists. There are also terrorist groups in Algeria. The borders of Tunisia are quite insecure.

The risk of bombings, gun massacres and kidnappings for ransom in Tunisia is now too high.

However a lot of people are saying that avoiding Tunisia is giving victory to ISIS, but should our people be martyrs and risk losing their lives to another massacre to save tourism or prove a point to ISIS?

I was quite shocked to see holidays next summer are being sold in Tunisia by leading tour firms as if everything is hunky dory!

We must remember tourists can choose where they want to holiday, but so long as tourists continue to visit risky places like Tunisia, holiday reps will be sent there too. Holiday reps CAN NOT choose where to go.
Many of these reps are young people on gap years etc doing their dream job in travel, they're peoples children, siblings girl friends, boy friends etc. Is it right their lives should be put at risk too?

Basically don't go to Muslim countries on holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would avoid those countries for my own safety.
should our people be martyrs and risk losing their lives to another massacre to save tourism or prove a point to ISIS?

This is just stupid. Why kill myself to prove a point to ISIS? Life is precious and you only live once. My life and safety is more important than proving a point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why go to these places anyway when there are loads of other sunny places you could go to which aren't risky.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
If news reports and the like say don't go to Tunisia, then don't. frickin. go. to. Tunisia.

Agencies and whatnot will do whatever they can to keep their clients' monies if things don't go to plan i.e. they get killed. :indiff:

I don't understand why you'd be willing to risk your life to prove a point to ISIS :lolwut:

Exactly and if a family is or a holiday rep is kidnapped by ISIS, with the risk of beheading, then I doubt the tour firm or UK government would pay a ransom as its against government policy to pay ransoms and illegal for UK firms or anyone else to pay ransoms to terrorists for freeing hostages.

Absolute madness to holiday there.
Is Earth now a no-go area for tourists?
I know the hotels are probably better defended now after that beach massacre, but what sort of holiday is it where your hotel or resort is a fortress guarded by soldiers and too dangerous to leave the hotel grounds? You can't see the country and every hotel is the same which ever country you visit so all you'll see is your hotel so what's the point?

Its such a shame as it was a beautiful country to explore, but any excursions that were once popular in the good old days are now off limits. I once visited the set to Star Wars in the dessert before the recent problems. Now that area is off limits and occupied by IS.

Can the hotel staff be trusted? Can the hotel security be trusted, remember its a poor country.

No way would I ever go there and if I was a holiday rep I'd sooner quit and go on the dole rather than be sent there.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tosh.
Original post by YellowWallpaper
Tosh.

Awesome comment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest News. 12 people have been killed and 18 injured in a bus attack by The Deash in Tunisia today.

Seriously a place to stay well away from let alone holiday there!
Original post by YellowWallpaper
Tosh.

Latest news: 12 killed and 18 injured by Daesh bomb in Tunisia. Third attack this year. Still think its tosh to avoid holidays there?
I can assure you, 'Morocco is very safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cutelady
I can assure you, 'Morocco is very safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Morocco is far safer than Tunisia, partly because it's not bordered by lawless Libya and dorsnt have the jihadists that Tunisia has.

Morocco is a beautiful country :smile: I been several times love morocco :smile:
I agree. Morocco is far safer than Tunisia, partly because it's not bordered by lawless Libya and dorsnt have the jihadists that Tunisia has.

Morocco is a beautiful country :smile: I been several times love morocco :smile:

Aww thank you, I'm from Morocco. Wherever you go, especially Marrakech. You will find armed police and high level of security. Morocco take terrorism very seriously and the King does not tolerate any jihadists or terrorist. The army there also is very strong x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh had a good time in Gambia last week (85% Muslim), would go back.

Also don't forget France, France is no-go as well, loads of people died and another attack was only foiled due to the huge raid and shoot out. Also this place called London, these guys blew up underground trains and a bus only 8 years ago and I bet ISIS would like to repeat that sort of thing, don't go there..
Original post by joey11223
Eh had a good time in Gambia last week (85% Muslim), would go back.

Also don't forget France, France is no-go as well, loads of people died and another attack was only foiled due to the huge raid and shoot out. Also this place called London, these guys blew up underground trains and a bus only 8 years ago and I bet ISIS would like to repeat that sort of thing, don't go there..

Errr ok but neither the UK or France are Muslim countries.

If you want to visit countries where there is a high risk of attack then be my guest, just make sure your life insurance is up to date.
Reply 17
Original post by paul514

If you want to visit countries where there is a high risk of attack then be my guest, just make sure your life insurance is up to date.

In 2013, more than 6 million tourists visited Tunisia. Probably more in 2014. Around 60 tourists were killed in terrorist attacks in 2015. So that is 1 in 100,000 visitors. Put into perspective against this crude statistic, if the whole of the UK took their annual holidays in Tunisia, 600 would die as a result of terrorism. Take into consideration that 1700 people die in the UK in traffic related incidents, 8,000 in alcohol related death, 30,000 died prematurely due to air pollution (500,000 in Europe) and crime rates in popular tourist destinations such as South Africa, Thailand, Brazil, USA and Caribbean nations such as Bahamas, St Lucia and Trinidad & Tobago probably make them more dangerous than Tunisia.

As I have said to the OP on a different thread, Islamic terrorists have got people like him (and you) well trained to respond in the way they want you to - like a dog to a whistle. They want you to think that places like Tunisia are far more dangerous. Whilst the relative risk of terrorism in Tunisia is higher than say Greece, the absolute risk in both cases is so small that it would not be part of logical decision making processes.

Moreover, destroying Tunisia's tourism sector by frightening away tourists is exactly what the terrorists want. They want to drive down the economy, thus driving up poverty and creating more young men without jobs who will be vulnerable to their message of extremism. Indeed, if the economy cannot provide jobs, then that will mean more young men seeking a better life in Europe, or indeed a job in the smuggling of people to Europe.
Reply 18

I used to visit Tunisia a lot, but in recent years its felt uneasy. Now there is no way I would ever go back to Tunisia, especially now ISIS occupies some parts of the country.

Which parts of the country do ISIS occupy/control? Name them.

Many ISIS members in Syria are Tunisian and plan to bring their Jihad back to Tunisia.

Many ISIS members in Syria and Iraq are European national and plan to bring their Jihad back to Europe.
Europe borders North Africa, Syria and Iraq which are lawless and run amok by violent jihadists. There are terrorists groups across Europe. The border of Europe are quite insecure.

See what I did there. You must be panicking.

Quantify those risks and tell me what the acceptable threshold is.

How many holiday reps were killed in terrorist related incidents in Tunisia this year?
Original post by paul514

lol you legit? A place where Muslims live automatically means a high level of attack? Erm...nope.

Give me the reasons I'm more likely to have Isis and the gang randomly turn up in The Gambia than Paris/Berlin/London etc at the moment?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending