The Student Room Group

English literature or combined?

I'm applying for sixth form now and I've picked English, fine art, history and photography. The problem is that I love both aspects of English, which is why I want to do the combined. However, I'm pretty certain that russell group universities prefer english literature on its own. What do I do?
Original post by Etoilecyber
I'm applying for sixth form now and I've picked English, fine art, history and photography. The problem is that I love both aspects of English, which is why I want to do the combined. However, I'm pretty certain that russell group universities prefer english literature on its own. What do I do?

Straight Eng lit would be my advice if you want to do English lit at university. I've taught lang, lit and combined, and combined doesn't cover both subjects in enough depth to be worth it. I'd drop photography and do English language instead. On the other hand, if art is going to be your aim, then do the combined, since it doesn't matter what your other subjects are. It's all about the talent in the portfolio then.
Reply 2
Original post by Etoilecyber
I'm applying for sixth form now and I've picked English, fine art, history and photography. The problem is that I love both aspects of English, which is why I want to do the combined. However, I'm pretty certain that Russell group universities prefer english literature on its own. What do I do?

You could just pick English Literature, which is has got a better reputation, and then do creative writing in you own time. as you have got two non-academic subjects (Art and Photography) English Lit also makes more sense, otherwise you will have three creative subjects and one academic one, which doesnt look so good.

Quick Reply

Latest