The Student Room Group

What Should I do about the university

Hey, I'm new here and its nice to meet you all and I decided to join because I wanted to ask for someone's perspective on a problem I'm having.
At the moment I'm currently in my first year studying fashion journalism at one of London's top fashion colleges but its not for me, I have way too much stress and work and the tutors don't really make me feel at ease, in fact they are pretty terrifying. For someone in their first term, I know it may sound silly but it drives me crazy!
I have come to the conclusion that I will leave after Christmas to pursue other options and reapply somewhere different, but does this make me a bad person, I know I don't want to stay but I feel like I'm letting down my entire family and all my friends if I leave but there are other options, I would like to just study journalism rather than fashion journalism, am I making the right choice?
They're taking thousands of pounds out of your pocket so the least they could do is ensure that you're mentally stable and happy with your course.
Original post by Sammy19
Hey, I'm new here and its nice to meet you all and I decided to join because I wanted to ask for someone's perspective on a problem I'm having.
At the moment I'm currently in my first year studying fashion journalism at one of London's top fashion colleges but its not for me, I have way too much stress and work and the tutors don't really make me feel at ease, in fact they are pretty terrifying. For someone in their first term, I know it may sound silly but it drives me crazy!
I have come to the conclusion that I will leave after Christmas to pursue other options and reapply somewhere different, but does this make me a bad person, I know I don't want to stay but I feel like I'm letting down my entire family and all my friends if I leave but there are other options, I would like to just study journalism rather than fashion journalism, am I making the right choice?

It definitely doesn't make you a bad person. Uni isn't for everyone, and the course your on isn't for everyone.

however get the most out of this time as you can, it won't suddenly become less stressful on the other course. It'll be stressful and hard work on whatever course you do, so be aware of that and try to gain skills and ways to deal with that now.
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
It definitely doesn't make you a bad person. Uni isn't for everyone, and the course your on isn't for everyone.

however get the most out of this time as you can, it won't suddenly become less stressful on the other course. It'll be stressful and hard work on whatever course you do, so be aware of that and try to gain skills and ways to deal with that now.

Yeah I know you're right, I think it's just their methods that really put me off the course as well as arriving and having my expectations pretty much ruined, I thought it would be fun and I would enjoy my time, but I dread going in most of the time, I think if the course was better and I felt better about it, then a bit of stress wouldn't be a problem

Quick Reply

Latest