The Student Room Group

Returning to uni after many years of working life. What to expect?

Hoping to return to uni studying an MSc Physio course (the pre-reg one) as I hold a BSc rehab science degree.

The course is openly intense (which I found out from speaking to previous and current students) yet it is what I need for my chosen career.

But, how will my brain cope? Writing essays, studying for exams, all-nighters in the library feeding on energy drinks.. I have worked full-time for the past 3-4 years, involving zero academia.

Has anyone else returned to this? Or is it more manageable being mature and focused on studying?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulphysio
Hoping to return to uni studying an MSc Physio course (the pre-reg one) as I hold a BSc rehab science degree.

The course is openly intense (which I found out from speaking to previous and current students) yet it is what I need for my chosen career.

But, how will my brain cope? Writing essays, studying for exams, all-nighters in the library feeding on energy drinks.. I have worked full-time for the past 3-4 years, involving zero academia.

Has anyone else returned to this? Or is it more manageable being mature and focused on studying?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey

I'm just wondering if you might get better responses to your question in either the mature students or the postgrad forum. If you'd like the thread moved, let me know :h:

I've no experience of an MSc, but I did go back to uni after working full time for a year. I think I did better at organising my work- so no need for all nighters, but it is hard getting back into essay writing after a bit of time out. Most unis do offer support on this though- usually in the Library, so maybe see what's available?
Yes, that would be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulphysio
Yes, that would be good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which would you prefer, mature students or postgrad?
Post grad, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
A lot might depend on whether you now have your own place or whether you intend to move into uni accommodation to have a 'student life.'

It will probably feel weird at first but you will get used to it. And mature students make up 40% of the student intake, may be more on a Masters course!

Quick Reply

Latest