The Student Room Group

Share advice on how to get the uni year off to a good start

So were well into first term now
Can you share some tips on what to do now to succeed?

Personally I am struggling with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by number23

Posted from TSR Mobile

Be as organised as possible and start everything early
Reply 2
Pay attention to assignment feedback. Look at the things you've been marked down on and make sure you do those better in the hext assignment. Nobody expects you to get everything right first time. If you did that, you'd know it already and would be wasting your time and money at uni! Learning involves being wrong quite often. And it's OK as long as you learn from it.

Learn to reference in the format used by your uni. Attention to detail is everything. It's a pain to get the hang of but an extra twenty minutes can be easy percentage points.

Ask for help if you need it. Lecturers and course/module leaders have limited time to offer, but most will respond as positively as they can to a student who is asking for help to succeed. But don't go in with "I don't know what to do." Make an effort first - "I've tried reading x and y but it isn't any clearer - can you suggest something else?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't let things pile up. Do things when they are set, not the night before they are due in. If things go wrong, you have time to sort them before it ends up causing you grief.
Making good relations with people is key. If you see people from your lecture class go up to them, strike a conversation and get friendly with them. They are probably as nervous as you are regarding the whole experience of university etc. Another key reason is if you cannot make it to a university session, you could get somebody you know to collect important handouts from the lectures or even try to summarise what went on that day. Above all be friendly so you can interact with new people and make new friends, it never hurts to widen your friend circle and who knows they may even turn out to be some of the groups of people you stay in touch with for the rest of your life.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Be as organised as possible and start everything early

can you tell me more about that? how do you stay organised?

Ive started keeping a planner for putting deadlines in which is pretty useful
Reply 6
I'm struggling to make close friends on my course. The time when everyone was open to new people has gone and everyone has groups that they click with already. I have some but they only want to talk in lectures and dont do anything else, and i dont really get on with them we just sit together for the sake of it. I miss college when i had a good group of friends that i clicked with. Any advice?
Reply 7
Original post by Yo497
I'm struggling to make close friends on my course. The time when everyone was open to new people has gone and everyone has groups that they click with already. I have some but they only want to talk in lectures and dont do anything else, and i dont really get on with them we just sit together for the sake of it. I miss college when i had a good group of friends that i clicked with. Any advice?

Join societies?
Reply 8
I have joined one but they are really unorganised and haven't set up any meetings yet:colonhash:
can you tell me more about that? how do you stay organised?

Ive started keeping a planner for putting deadlines in which is pretty useful

I literally plan everything out for my academic life really.
I make coloured coded plans/timetables for each week including what lectures I have, what pre reading I want to do, my revision and how many words/what assignment prep that I want to do in that week (and I have my lectures and important deadlines on my google calendar with reminders to keep as little stuff to remember in my head as possible) and i ve yet to forget a thing i needed to do this term so far:P .
For deadlines I try to work backwards so I set dates of when I want to do my research by, when I want to do my first draft by and when I want to get my draft proof read completely and sent to my supervisor (i usually build in a week extra time overall just in case something goes wrong/so i can always hand it in early.)
Reply 10
Original post by Yo497
I have joined one but they are really unorganised and haven't set up any meetings yet:colonhash:

you could try writing or doing photography for the newspaper

they aren't directly social but branch out into social things and also make you more aware and wanting to go out more

also be open to the idea of new friendships
Reply 11
you could try writing or doing photography for the newspaper

they aren't directly social but branch out into social things and also make you more aware and wanting to go out more

also be open to the idea of new friendships

I am open to it but i feel like a lot of people aren't, I make an effort to smile at people when i sit next to them in lectures but they don't seem interested. Also, i met this girl at freshers and we don't really get on, but still sit together for some reason and everyone i've met just aren't friendly or open. The feeling of rejection is getting to me and i don't want to feel like this for my whole degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending