The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Non-ensuite horror stories?

Originally thought that I would really like an ensuite at Uni but having talked to people at York who universally agree non-ensuite is much more social with a greater community atmosphere etc I'm now entertaining the thought of going without. The only thing that worries me is that I have heard a couple of stories about shared bathroom horrors, none from York as of yet but those I have heard (from reliable sources) have been quite offputting eg. someone going for a dump in the shower. Has anyone at York ever had any really bad experiences or am I worrying for nothing?
Nope I never had anything like that... thank god cos that doesn't sound v nice >.< I've never heard any stories like that from ppl I know
University of York
York
Reply 2
Yes, I'm in Langwith and there was a birthday party and some people from Goodricke came over and someone did use the shower as a toilet. Other people have been sick and obviously used a toilet but it's not a huge deal because you just use another shower or toilet for a day until it's cleaned.
KerriT
Yes, I'm in Langwith and there was a birthday party and some people from Goodricke came over and someone did use the shower as a toilet. Other people have been sick and obviously used a toilet but it's not a huge deal because you just use another shower or toilet for a day until it's cleaned.

LOL
Reply 4
Having an en-suite has its disadvantages too - I've got one, and it's sometimes really awkward to basically go to the toilet in the same room as someone else if you've got visitors. I'm currently staying in a friends' room which is non ensuite while she's away, and have found no problems.
Never heard of any problems at all from anyone else and never had any problems when I was in non-en-suite accommodation at York.
Reply 6
There's a guy on our corridor who often leaves the shower covered in hair which isn't too pleasant, but it's not unbearable.
Other than that, not had any problems.
Reply 7
I've had no problems with sharing at all...Hate going to visit my friends with en-suit as if in the kitchin I have to ask to go into their room to go toilet plus with male friends I don't like going toilet in his room...just seems weird!
Reply 8
I left a bread roll in the shower 1st term 1st year when I was leathered. Wasn't removed until we moved out in the summer. Apparently a few people thought it was a fish that had crawled up through the drain and died... I was in hysterics hahaha.
Plummie
Originally thought that I would really like an ensuite at Uni but having talked to people at York who universally agree non-ensuite is much more social with a greater community atmosphere etc

They just say that because they are bitter. Quite a few people request to be put in ensuit but end up in other colleges because there's not enough space.

I'd put ensuit on the form. Uni is as sociable as you make it so you should be able to enjoy it if you want to no matter what college you're in, so you may as well try to be put in one with better accomodation.
Reply 10
Quite frankly, I've heard more people complaining about en-suite than shared. The whole peeing-in-the-same-room-as-your-friends thing seems to be a major turn-off. Bathrooms are cleaned Mon-Fri, so even if it is left in an undersirable state, it shouldn't remain so for very long.
Reply 11
hahaha..there're some lovely stories here. But anyway. Shared bathrooms are really fine, and I disagree with Vampyrcorn. Alcuin/ James etc may be 'better' accomodation but they ARE more antisocial. Why pay more money for something you don't need?

Also, remember that the people who you share your bathroom with won't be strangers for long - they'll be your mates.
Reply 12
Yeah, to be fair, you won't have an ensuite in your 2nd/3rd years anyway, so you might as well get used to it
Reply 13
OP you know you don't actually get to CHOOSE whether you have ensuite or not. Most people put ensuite on the form, but don't get it.
Reply 14
Don't worry about whether or not you have en-suite. Many en-suite rooms require you to move out during the easter break so they can use it for conference guests. University social life is what you make it so the whole non-ensuite rooms are more sociable depends on you. But I have non-ensuite and its fine, my housemates are mainly girls and they are all clean sometimes we have long hair crawling up the walls though from one of the guys but its ok we just make him clean it out. I think you shouldn't worry about what room you have and worry about how you can get more money to spend partying.

p.s. if you would like to send me said money I can happily invest it in the destruction of my liver.
Reply 15
Melana
Having an en-suite has its disadvantages too - I've got one, and it's sometimes really awkward to basically go to the toilet in the same room as someone else if you've got visitors.

errrrrr, can someone elaborate on this please?!?

any pictures of this supposed problem?
peasant
errrrrr, can someone elaborate on this please?!?

any pictures of this supposed problem?

I don't have any pictures but it's easy to imagine.

You have a room. One corner of the room is sectioned off. Inside the cornered off part is a shower and a toilet and a sink.

You can't see the person using the toilet because there is a wall around it, if that's what you were wondering. :biggrin:

It had never occured to me to find it awkward but I asked my flat whether it bothered them. Most said they didn't care and hadn't thought of it as an issue, but one girl said she thought it was a bit weird. So I guess it just depends on the individual, but I wouldn't really have thought of it as a reason not to apply for one.
It's been absolutely fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending