The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Hi,

No one seems to have started a thread for this year yet.

Realise the applications only came out today, but I thought I'd give it a go, to get it out of the way. Just got to the questions at the end, wondered what people thought of them. The first one

A commitment to working in local government is one of the ngdp’s key skills and behaviours. Why are you interested in a career in local government? What do you hope to learn and achieve by working for a local authority on the ngdp over the next two years? In up to 250 words, please describe a situation where you worked effectively in a team to deliver a successful task/project. How did you approach this task/project? What skills did you use and how did you ensure success?

This seems pretty confusing, it asks why you're interested and what you hope to achieve, but then asks you to answer something fairly unrelated with the 250 word limit. Does this mean the first couple of questions are actually rhetorical and the answer should be solely about working as part of a team??

Anyway I realise people might not see this for a little while, but thought I'd put it out there, doesn't have to be completed for a while but I wanted to get a bit of a head start!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I emailed them to ask about this because I found it pretty confusing too! They've now reformatted the q so it is just about why you want to work in local government :smile:
Reply 2
Awesome cheers! That is a lot clearer now.
Reply 3
Just wondered in employment history if anyone had a rough idea how much to write for the outline of duties and responsibilities. My thinking was that the assessment questions will be what they are really testing you on, so there probably isn't much need to write too much here? I've but about 70 words. Any ideas??
Reply 4
Hey, just wanted to say good luck folks. I am part of cohort 17 (started this year) and it's an excellent scheme.

At the application stage where you're putting in your job history etc, the first time that will crop up again (at least in my experience) will be at the council interview stage, which is quite a way down the road. Don't stress too much about it, be honest about your history, motivations and goals, and you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Tlex
Hey, just wanted to say good luck folks. I am part of cohort 17 (started this year) and it's an excellent scheme.

At the application stage where you're putting in your job history etc, the first time that will crop up again (at least in my experience) will be at the council interview stage, which is quite a way down the road. Don't stress too much about it, be honest about your history, motivations and goals, and you'll be fine.

Cheers for the encouragement pal, which council are you working with?
Reply 6
One in the North West :smile:, sorry I can't be more specific. If I was everyone here would be able to pull up some cringey graduate portfolios produced by my council, and trust me, they are not flattering!

Best of luck!
Hey guys,

I have applied too. Good luck to everyone! Was suprised that you get an immediate email about online tests - I had assumed they already sort people out based on the 250 words answers.
Reply 8
Original post by Marwin123
Hey guys,I have applied too. Good luck to everyone! Was suprised that you get an immediate email about online tests - I had assumed they already sort people out based on the 250 words answers.

Hey, do you mean that you got an email with a link to the tests straight away??

I just got
"The next stage of the process is to take three online tests: one numerical, one verbal and one situational judgement questionnaire.Further information will be sent to you via email within the next 2 working days so please keep an eye out for this. If you do not receive an email please check your “junk” or “spam” folders before contacting us at the email address below."

I've not actually received any further information yet though.
No, no panic! I received exactly this. But I expected a waiting period and then either a pass or fail before there is any tests.
No, no panic! I received exactly this. But I expected a waiting period and then either a pass or fail before there is any tests.

True, I guess they must look at the assessment questions at some point, but I don't know when.
Got closer information now - we got ages for the tests, nearly two months. Going to tackle that in the Christmas holidays when I have time to practice, there seems to be no advantage in finishing them earlier.
I had a go at the practice one on the cut-e site, they were easily the hardest I've had a go at, there seemed to be barely any time to answer. Hopefully the real ones will be a bit different. I think I might try and get them done sooner rather that later, can put it out of my mind then.
Now that's discouraging haha. Maybe some of the people who applied last year can say anything about how the online tests were?
I know right?!!! I'm sure I read on last years post that ten go teats were supposedly easier than the fast stream ones. Maybe the practice is therefore not representative, or maybe they'd changed the provided of their tests, if that is the case might be misleading to get hopes up based on last years people. Anyway finger crossed it'll be a walk in the park!!!!
Reply 15
Now that's discouraging haha. Maybe some of the people who applied last year can say anything about how the online tests were?

Hey. I'd personally say I found the NGDP tests easier than the Fast Stream ones, but more difficult than any of the practice tests commonly available online (at least that I could find). I would recommend that all candidates do plenty of timed practices though, because while the difficulty might not be exactly the same it is vital to get you attuned to the format of the questions, and used to doing online tests under pressure.

Ensure that you are doing these tests at least a week prior to the deadline (last thing you want is everyone slamming their servers on the last day and it resulting in technical difficulties) and ensure you have a stable internet connection and a distraction free environment.

Finally, don't get stuck on a question and miss out potentially easier ones because you've timed yourself out. Obviously, you've all done a lot of exams to graduate and it's a basic point, but I have no doubt it's a common mistake. You'll have time to prep before the timer starts, so ensure you have a clear idea of how much time you'll be spending on each question, and when you're over that time (say, 2 minutes) give a moment's thought to whether it is a valuable use of your time.
Thank you so much, Tlex. The Fast Stream tests were not as hard as I thought (but then I still have two "results awaiting" and only passed for Communications so far. I will take my time to practice when it gets quieter university-wise, and then hopefully do well :smile:
Original post by Tlex
Hey. I'd personally say I found the NGDP tests easier than the Fast Stream ones, but more difficult than any of the practice tests commonly available online (at least that I could find). I would recommend that all candidates do plenty of timed practices though, because while the difficulty might not be exactly the same it is vital to get you attuned to the format of the questions, and used to doing online tests under pressure.

Ensure that you are doing these tests at least a week prior to the deadline (last thing you want is everyone slamming their servers on the last day and it resulting in technical difficulties) and ensure you have a stable internet connection and a distraction free environment.

Finally, don't get stuck on a question and miss out potentially easier ones because you've timed yourself out. Obviously, you've all done a lot of exams to graduate and it's a basic point, but I have no doubt it's a common mistake. You'll have time to prep before the timer starts, so ensure you have a clear idea of how much time you'll be spending on each question, and when you're over that time (say, 2 minutes) give a moment's thought to whether it is a valuable use of your time.

Awesome. Thanks.

Do you have any idea if the test provider is the same as last year? Test provider is now cut-e. It's just that on the practice the format was very different from other tests I have done, having to consult several "pages" of information to find the right bit to answer the question. You also had 3 minutes to answer 6 questions I think, so wouldn't be able to devote 2 mins to a question if the real test is the same.

No worries if you don't know. Cheers.
Reply 18
Original post by Nightwing_
Awesome. Thanks.

Do you have any idea if the test provider is the same as last year? Test provider is now cut-e. It's just that on the practice the format was very different from other tests I have done, having to consult several "pages" of information to find the right bit to answer the question. You also had 3 minutes to answer 6 questions I think, so wouldn't be able to devote 2 mins to a question if the real test is the same.

No worries if you don't know. Cheers.

Sounds like a different format I think.
These cut-e tests look rock solid. Wonder why they have gone with such a difficult format this year, must want to sift out a greater proportion maybe. Not sure about the verbal, but it looks like for the numerical it will be 36 questions in 12 minutes!!!! That's only 20s a question, not to mention that information could be on one of six pages so you've got to find the right info first too!!! Apparently These tests are distinctively different from other numerical tests in question types and style.

EDIT: Ok verbal may be even worse, there is more information to actually read, so takes longer than just looking at a graph, there is also apparently 40 questions to answer in 12 minutes. This seems crazy!! Maybe you're actually expected to do really badly and the pass rate is really low???
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending