The Student Room Group

Transfer on results day?

Would it be possible if someone applied to Biological Sciences and on results day called their university to switch to Biochemistry? I understand the courses are very similar so was wondering about the "chances" of this.
Original post by High Stakes
Would it be possible if someone applied to Biological Sciences and on results day called their university to switch to Biochemistry? I understand the courses are very similar so was wondering about the "chances" of this.

If 'someone' knew ahead of time that they wanted to do this, it'd be much simpler and less fraught to contact the university well in advance and arrange it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If 'someone' knew ahead of time that they wanted to do this, it'd be much simpler and less fraught to contact the university well in advance and arrange it.

Sorry if i didn't make it clear. I am studying Chemistry externally. Therefore universities may not be so inclined to make offers for people sitting them externally without a predicted grade. I am saying, if I do well on results day what are the chances of it working out?
Reply 3
Are you talking about transferring within the same university?

It could work but if you're applying for a top university they're most likely full, so I would contact them earlier.
Sorry if i didn't make it clear. I am studying Chemistry externally. Therefore universities may not be so inclined to make offers for people sitting them externally without a predicted grade. I am saying, if I do well on results day what are the chances of it working out?

It depends entirely on the universities concerned - why not ask them once you've applied. If they ummm and errr then you know that the chances are low and so when you come to chose firm/insurance next April you'll have all the information you need.
Original post by ubisoft
Are you talking about transferring within the same university?

It could work but if you're applying for a top university they're most likely full, so I would contact them earlier.

Thanks. Yeah it's a top uni. I'll keep that in mind.
Original post by PQ
It depends entirely on the universities concerned - why not ask them once you've applied. If they ummm and errr then you know that the chances are low and so when you come to chose firm/insurance next April you'll have all the information you need.

Thank you.

It depends on many factors. You have to have a predicted grade for whatever exams you are sitting, even if you have to supply it yourself to your referee for them to add in, so they will know what exams you are taking anyway. In principle, they may have no problem with you switching, but results day is mayhem and it isn't the best time to be doing it. Since your circumstances are not standard, you need to contact the universities and discuss it in advance with them. BTW I am assuming you mean transferring within the same university. If you mean going somewhere else, that's a whole different ball game and you would have to get your firm university to let you go into clearing and then pick up a clearing choice like anyone else. That takes time and is not really the kind of thing you want to be doing at the last minute when you have intended to do it for nine months.
It depends on many factors. You have to have a predicted grade for whatever exams you are sitting, even if you have to supply it yourself to your referee for them to add in, so they will know what exams you are taking anyway. In principle, they may have no problem with you switching, but results day is mayhem and it isn't the best time to be doing it. Since your circumstances are not standard, you need to contact the universities and discuss it in advance with them. BTW I am assuming you mean transferring within the same university. If you mean going somewhere else, that's a whole different ball game and you would have to get your firm university to let you go into clearing and then pick up a clearing choice like anyone else. That takes time and is not really the kind of thing you want to be doing at the last minute when you have intended to do it for nine months.

Yeah it's the same university department. I understand. I'll definitely notify them beforehand to ask if there are indeed spaces and that they can accommodate for me. I'll get a predicted grade supplied as well. Thanks.
X

Hi. Would the school have the right to refuse to put a predicted grade for me or do I have the right to one? Even if I'm studying externally. My external teacher wants to predict me A* and I've previously had "conflicts" with the Sixth Form staff involved with setting the grades. Are they obliged to? Thank you.
Hi. Would the school have the right to refuse to put a predicted grade for me or do I have the right to one? Even if I'm studying externally. My external teacher wants to predict me A* and I've previously had "conflicts" with the Sixth Form staff involved with setting the grades. Are they obliged to? Thank you.

They are not obliged to give a predicted grade for a subject they are not teaching you and have not entered you for. They have no evidence on which to base it.
They are not obliged to give a predicted grade for a subject they are not teaching you and have not entered you for. They have no evidence on which to base it.

"You have to have a predicted grade for whatever exams you are sitting"

So does that mean they don't have to give me one but they have to put on my UCAS the one I give them?
"You have to have a predicted grade for whatever exams you are sitting"

So does that mean they don't have to give me one but they have to put on my UCAS the one I give them?

You have to come to some arrangement between your external referee and your school one about what they are going to do about it. They need to communicate with each other. If the school won't put the estimated grade given by your outside tutor into their reference (and they may well not, since it is their responsibility to provide a reference they can stand by, and they do not employ or even know this other person) then you will have to contact Ucas and ask them what they want you to do. I'm afraid I can't remember what the procedure is. It doesn't crop up often and it's not a problem I've had to deal with.
You have to come to some arrangement between your external referee and your school one about what they are going to do about it. They need to communicate with each other. If the school won't put the estimated grade given by your outside tutor into their reference (and they may well not, since it is their responsibility to provide a reference they can stand by, and they do not employ or even know this other person) then you will have to contact Ucas and ask them what they want you to do. I'm afraid I can't remember what the procedure is. It doesn't crop up often and it's not a problem I've had to deal with.

Ah I see. Hopefully this problem's resolved quickly. Thanks for your help though.
why not telephone the admissions officer of the uni concerned and ask their advice on this Explain the position and they will give you an accurate answer
Reply 15

I was in a very similar position to you as I sat Chemistry privately, but it didn't work out for me lol

It's probably because I wanted to transfer from English to Biochemistry at the same uni which are two completely different subjects. Although I was given an offer on results day, it was taken away from me the next day because it was a 'mistake', and they told me they didn't want me as I was accepted by their English department already.

I had to go through clearing and find another uni which was a nightmare.

Try and find out these things beforehand, as it will be too chaotic on results day.

You should be fine though as Biological sciences and Biochemistry are very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending