The Student Room Group

Motivation for Revision

I can't motivate myself to revise for my gcses. I'm not an idiot and did well in my mocks but found it incredibly difficult to motivate myself to revise. Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this may sound lame but it works for me.
look in the university section of TSR, and look at the kinda gcse grades people got to go to the top unis for your subject, even look at the uni website. then think to yourself that if i pass my gcses i could have all this (well alevels of course but yeah..) and it motivates you by thinking of the future.
well it works for me.
good luck :smile:
Reply 2
RdotR
look in the university section of TSR, and look at the kinda gcse grades people got to go to the top unis for your subject, even look at the uni website. then think to yourself that if i pass my gcses i could have all this (well alevels of course but yeah..) and it motivates you by thinking of the future.

yeh i do that aswell - i find that it gives me that extra push to stop going on these forums and getting my books out.
Reply 3
Do you have a plan for the future? Think about what you'll feel like if you don't get there.
Think about the grades you got in your mocks and your predicted grades and how gutted you'll be if you do worse even though you clearly have the ability to do well just because you couldn't be bothered to work. Think of the long summer you'll have after exams to do whatever you want. Think about how great you'll feel on results day if you get the grades you want and how proud your parents and teachers will be of you. Longer term, think about what uni you want to go to and how getting poor grades could make that harder to achieve.
All this thinking has got me working lol.Thanks but I've also realised that I've got to be organised with all this work and not being organised is resulting in me not being motivated to revise.
Mathemagician. Funny?
All this thinking has got me working lol.Thanks but I've also realised that I've got to be organised with all this work and not being organised is resulting in me not being motivated to revise.

Yeah, that makes sense. If you're just feeling overwhelmed by revision and don't know where to start, it can demotivate you. Decide which subjects/topics you're going to prioritise (but don't neglect the others completely) how many hours a day you think you can realistically revise, when you work best (ie morning, afternoon or evening) and how long you can realistically revise for before taking a short break. Then you can devise a timetable.
Reply 7
RdotR
well it works for me.

This is what I do to. It motivates me, as it gives me aim. Without aim there is no motivation.

Good luck op.
For most of this year, I've had no motivation. I haven't been putting in 100% in any of my subjects and my D in Psychology proved that. That was a real eye opener for me. Psychology is the field I want a career in, and to get a D in a real AS exam was really disappointing. I knew then that I needed to knuckle down and that if I can get a D with no revision, if I revise for my re-sit then I should do a lot better.

I was also looking through prospectuses for university and realised that the way I'm acting now I'm never going to get the AAB/ABB that universities want for Psychology. Yesterday I did a lot of revision and am planning to do the same thing tomorrow. The thing that sparked my motivation is the realisation that if I want to get to where I want to be in 5/10 years time then I need to knuckle down.
Reply 10
Ten Sixty Six
For most of this year, I've had no motivation. I haven't been putting in 100% in any of my subjects and my D in Psychology proved that. That was a real eye opener for me. Psychology is the field I want a career in, and to get a D in a real AS exam was really disappointing. I knew then that I needed to knuckle down and that if I can get a D with no revision, if I revise for my re-sit then I should do a lot better.

I was also looking through prospectuses for university and realised that the way I'm acting now I'm never going to get the AAB/ABB that universities want for Psychology. Yesterday I did a lot of revision and am planning to do the same thing tomorrow. The thing that sparked my motivation is the realisation that if I want to get to where I want to be in 5/10 years time then I need to knuckle down.

couldnt agreed with you any more mate !! i jus did a business paper the one subject im supposed to be good at and i got 12/20 .... it's really opened up my eyes and shown me that i need to knuckle down and stop pratting around and get on with my work !! i always find that a great motivation is the prospect of failure....this 12/20 opend my eyes i workd my socks off n in the mock paper i did i got 19/20 so its feasable !!
Reading my post from back in April made me lol. I'm in exactly the same position as I was this time last year, although last year I wasn't aware of it. I've stopped revising and have just lost all motivation, to the point where I considered dropping out of sixth form. (Although I must add, I did do a lot of revision throughout April/May and ended up with two A's in Psychology :p:).

I'm not going to university anymore anyway, so I am just putting in minimal effort to get a C or a B really, but I should probably get back into the swing of things and revise.
rotor
well it works for me.

Don't know about anyone else, but when I was 15 the LAST thing I was thinking of was my future. And comparing yourself to the most amazing people on the internet is awful, its very disheartening.

Just do the best for yourself, its not the end of the world if you flunk them, as some people make out.

As for motivation, make it more interesting. Draw pictures or something, or make wierd poems etc.
I couldn't find any motivation at any point during GCSEs. The only things I revised well for were the sciences and maths, but that was I found it fun rather than out of necessity. I'm very disappointed, in hindsight, with my attitude and I'm determined not to make any slip-ups for A Levels.
Same here Glutamic. I KNOW I was capable of more at GCSE's, though I do have my reasons (parents splitting up DURING them), but lets nail these AS Levels, yes!? :smile:
I can never motivate myself, it's why I concentrate in lessons and work very hard then, and do very little during revision lol.
Reply 16
It can be tough to revise with so many distractions and stuff.
So frustrating! :frown:
i have zero motivation and im in my last year at school, if i mess these up i wont be going away to uni in september, but still i do about 10mins then get distracted! ahh!
I know this was ages ago but writing this may make me think! I am going through my GCSEs this year and have absolutely zero motivation. I know that my friends are really clever and are always wanting to do well. They have their whole life planned whereas I don't.
Just think the whole summer will be ruined if you don't get your GCSEs. Results day will be the worse day of your life, so let's not make it like this. Pull yourself together, have early nights so you're not tired, tidy you desk, table, room (this usually helps clear your mind) and hide anything that will distract you. Revise in a room other than your bedroom because there are too many distractions, and work you butt off. Just think if your don't like any of these subjects you won't have to do them in a couple of months so do the best you can now and be happier in the future!
Reply 19
Pretty much everyone has said

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending