The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I haven't started on matrices yet, and I'll be needing to revise vectors as well. Can anyone tell me what the matrices chapter is like? Seems a little drab.

Very boring but not very hard. In general needs attention to arithmetic and care with the methods for stuff like finding inverses.
I haven't started on matrices yet, and I'll be needing to revise vectors as well. Can anyone tell me what the matrices chapter is like? Seems a little drab.

Quite straightforward (easiest chapter in the book in my opinion), two methods to learn off, finding the inverse (and determinant of a 3x3) and finding the diagonal matrix for a given matrix

I personally didn't find it too 'drab' but I think that's only because it was my very last further maths chapter and I was excited to get finished, so matrices was the final straight so to speak.

After wrecking my brain with coordinate systems (the mixed exercise, my word :afraid:) and vectors chapters I really welcomed the more straightforward matrices

I hope this helps :biggrin:

Edit: also there's some of that; Given A = B^(-1). Show that AB = I stuff (I don't know the name for this, matrix manipulation maybe :dontknow:)
(edited 8 years ago)

I love the matrices chapter! I think it's fun and just arithmetic and algebra, like chapter 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tiny hobbit
It would be nice if physicsandmathstutor acknowledged the efforts of Graham from Edexcel in putting these packs together.

Likewise the Gold papers etc.

Just email him, I am sure he will agree and change it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I love the matrices chapter! I think it's fun and just arithmetic and algebra, like chapter 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fancy words made me feel like im studying a Phd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Cheers, guys!

Is finding the inverse of a 3 x 3 really this tedious...?
Reply 66
Cheers, guys!

I think often in exams it's possible to solve simultaneous equations instead, or the matrix has lots of zeroes/is symmetric so that the work is quicker.
Cheers, guys!

Yes
Done everything up to the start of matrices, they seem fine so far but anything can happen in FP3. I dislike vectors a fair bit and reduction integration (had a horrific question in the mock), the rest of FP3 is fine.
Starting FP3 this week; finished 5 modules so far, this is my last one :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol i still gotta learn 4 modules for AFM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
I give my seal of approval to the thread

c13.jpg

For resources also look here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3353445
Hi all!

I've made a C4 exam thread over here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3853289

I'll be sitting FP3 this year. Has anyone finished the module yet and started revision? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Euclidean
Hi all!

I've made a C4 exam thread over here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3853289

I'll be sitting FP3 this year. Has anyone finished the module yet and started revision? :biggrin:

Finished maths and further maths, so now school consists of just physics class and past papers :banghead:

wbu? :biggrin:
Original post by DylanJ42
Finished maths and further maths, so now school consists of just physics class and past papers :banghead:

wbu? :biggrin:

Almost done with FP3, after FP3 I have 4 more modules to study before I'm grinding past papers completely. Doing C4 M3 S2 FP2 past papers at the moment. Ideally I want to finish up the content for FP3 by the end of tomorrow, although I've yet to study Vectors and Matrices so that might be a tall order :redface:

Do you study AQA Physics?
Almost done with FP3, after FP3 I have 4 more modules to study before I'm grinding past papers completely. Doing C4 M3 S2 FP2 past papers at the moment. Ideally I want to finish up the content for FP3 by the end of tomorrow, although I've yet to study Vectors and Matrices so that might be a tall order :redface:

Do you study AQA Physics?

Past papers are soul destroying, 7 maths modules this year (repeating S2, silly grade boundaries last year + lack of revision :frown:() so I'm doing 1 paper per day atm, just so I don't run out. Plus STEP which i am finding very enjoyable and a nice break from alevels

I do enjoy the vectors questions in FP3, once you draw a diagram they become quite straight forward (there's a good amount of formula to learn off, unless you want to derive them in the exam)

Matrices doesn't have any difficult maths, its basically just multiplying one digit numbers together and learning a few methods off, it's a nice easy finish to the book imo.

Nah I do CCEA physics (I think they are a NI board :dontknow:), there's nothing more enjoyable than gravitational, magnetic and electric fields... :curious:
Past papers are soul destroying, 7 maths modules this year (repeating S2, silly grade boundaries last year + lack of revision :frown:() so I'm doing 1 paper per day atm, just so I don't run out. Plus STEP which i am finding very enjoyable and a nice break from alevels

I do enjoy the vectors questions in FP3, once you draw a diagram they become quite straight forward (there's a good amount of formula to learn off, unless you want to derive them in the exam)

Matrices doesn't have any difficult maths, its basically just multiplying one digit numbers together and learning a few methods off, it's a nice easy finish to the book imo.

Nah I do CCEA physics (I think they are a NI board :dontknow:), there's nothing more enjoyable than gravitational, magnetic and electric fields... :curious:

I'm sitting 10 this year, did 9 last year (retaking FP1 :colondollar:)...
I've seen you in the STEP thread, how's that going?

Ah I've heard of CCEA from some friends at Interview, is the exam quite difficult? Ours is not so difficult but a good percentage of the A-Level is experimental coursework which has absurd grade boundaries so makes an A* a challenge...

Nice to hear, I'm not a huge fan of vectors but matrices seem quite standard :smile:
I'm sitting 10 this year, did 9 last year (retaking FP1 :colondollar:)...
I've seen you in the STEP thread, how's that going?

Ah I've heard of CCEA from some friends at Interview, is the exam quite difficult? Ours is not so difficult but a good percentage of the A-Level is experimental coursework which has absurd grade boundaries so makes an A* a challenge...

Nice to hear, I'm not a huge fan of vectors but matrices seem quite standard :smile:

Oh wow :eek: how many exams will you have in total then

So far I'm only doing STEP 1 stuff, I'm hesitant to make the jump to STEP 2 :laugh: I can always manage 5-6 questions which is good, however it's all been pure, so I really need to focus on applied just as a back up question. Are you doing STEP this year?

I don't find them too hard, it's just extremely boring and hard to motivate yourself to learn the content. There's also a good amount of wishy washy 6 mark writing questions which is dumb, the CCEA practicals also have stupidly high grade boundaries :cry: I will try for an A*, however I wont be too upset with an A

I actually do like them quite a bit, however that will probably change once I start doing vectors in STEP :afraid::laugh:
Oh wow :eek: how many exams will you have in total then

So far I'm only doing STEP 1 stuff, I'm hesitant to make the jump to STEP 2 :laugh: I can always manage 5-6 questions which is good, however it's all been pure, so I really need to focus on applied just as a back up question. Are you doing STEP this year?

I don't find them too hard, it's just extremely boring and hard to motivate yourself to learn the content. There's also a good amount of wishy washy 6 mark writing questions which is dumb, the CCEA practicals also have stupidly high grade boundaries :cry: I will try for an A*, however I wont be too upset with an A

I actually do like them quite a bit, however that will probably change once I start doing vectors in STEP :afraid::laugh:

I won't be sitting STEP this year although I intend to have a go at a few papers when the past paper grind gets dull.

In total I will have sat 18 exams over two years with 3 a levels in maths :beard:.

I was going to find some STEP vectors questions in the hope that they might spark some interest in vectors for me. At the moment it's my least enjoyable part of maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty easy. Much easier than vectors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending