The Student Room Group

Just done my first day - could anyone offer me any reassurance?

So I started my job in a shop on Saturday and I think I feel more worried about going in for the second time than I did for the first.

I know I'm really luck to have the job because of the location, the excellent pay, the generous discount. But...

The people working in there were polite and smiley to me but it paled as the day went on and I could see right through it anyway. The managers made me feel really stupid and uncomfortable and I dread to think what they're saying about me behind my back.

There wasn't really that much to do because it wasn't very busy and I felt myself looking for things to do and therefore feeling a bit silly, and I made some really stupid mistakes.

There's a meeting tonight I had to ring up and check the time for and they made me feel silly when I asked, which I knew they would which is why I was trying to put off doing it. I'm really scared.

Was anyone else feeling like this when they started working? Will it go away?

I can't stop worrying about it! :redface:
Reply 1
I felt like that when I started at M&S and it went away pretty quickly, I never got the feeling when I started at William Hill as I already knew my manager.
Reply 2
Im sure things will get better once you've settled in, everyone gets these sort of feelings when starting a new job.

And dont worry about making mistakes, everyone does at first! :smile:
don't worry about it ~~ i think it was a bit expected if you are starting your first day at work...its a bit similar to starting your first day at school!
Aww, I was exactly the same when I started my last job. It was just scary because it's a huuge shop I work in with loads of staff - I couldn't remember all their names and I kept making stupid mistakes and feeling like I was in the way.

It's a womens clothes shop I work in so I'm with loads of girls, but I can honestly say there's no bitching and we get on so well now - I love it! I doubt they're saying things about you behind your back, I bet in a few weeks you'll get on brilliantly and won't remember feeling like this at all :hugs:

Edit: I don't know where you work but there's ALWAYS something to do in a shop however busy, I find in my job there's always new stock to put out, bags to fill up, size tidying and tidying in general - if you're unsure just ask a manager if there's anything that needs doing.
Reply 5
ask a manager if there's anything that needs doing.

I did a few times and they just said, 'no'. LOL.

Danskershon everyone. Off to do another eight hours tommorow.
AisAis
I did a few times and they just said, 'no'. LOL.

Danskershon everyone. Off to do another eight hours tommorow.

Lol, well they sound really helpful. I think that's terrible considering it was your first day and you were learning how the job works. In that case, if there really is nothing to do and they say "no" do nothing and don't worry about it.

How did it go today?
Reply 7
Today was better actually, thankyou. :smile:

We had loads of refilling to do so I was kept more busy, and there was a different manager who kept asking me to do things like makesure all the kaftans had their ties done up and going onto areas etc. Oh and the shop was customerless for nearly an entire hour so we started trying on shoes which was fun. :biggrin:
Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes, even if the manager/supervisor is a condescending *******! I can't stand the supervisors in my work, they try and insult peoples intelligence all the time, and think they are a 'cut above the rest'. Students will experience this because a lot of them work in retail or factory jobs where the senior employees are only in that position because they have worked there for a long time. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but largely they do not have any people/managerial skills whatsoever and think shouting and swearing is the way forward. I've only ever met a few people in such positions who treat you as equals and show respect, whilst maintaining authority.

Latest

Trending

Trending