The Student Room Group

Mathematics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
Well good luck with that :biggrin: I wish universities who received applications in 2015 had to make a decision on them by the 31st December. It's unfair to make students wait months and months I think

Yeah I know, especially students who have to sit interviews/entrance exam papers etc.

So whats your ideal firm/insurance now that Oxford is ruled out? (:sorry:)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yeah I know, especially students who have to sit interviews/entrance exam papers etc.

So whats your ideal firm/insurance now that Oxford is ruled out? (:sorry:)

My firm will be Bath if I get an offer

Insurance will either be Bristol or St. Andrews

Most likely Bristol as I would get so bored at St. Andrew's, it looks too quiet :laugh:

I think i applied to the wrong universities though, Bath is the only one of my remaining 4 I actually want to go to, I guess I was naive and assumed I'd get into Oxford!
Anyone heard from York or Sheffield?? I sent off my application a month ago and I haven't heard from them yet :frown:((
Original post by ryanbuckenham
Applied to Bristol. Nottingham, Birmingham, Surrey and Leeds, have any of these unis been giving out offers yet?

I just got an offer from Leeds this afternoon. Btw I applied to Sheffield and Birmingham as well
Reply 44
I applied 15 days ago and got my offer from Kings and Exeter today. I'm pretty sure you will get it soon too.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
No word yet, I'm hoping to hear from Manchester & KCL/Exeter soon.
I sent off my application early/mid November so I'm hoping for some replies after xmas.
Reply 45
I applied to York and still haven't heard anything. Apparently they are giving out offers quite quick.
Original post by music2402
Anyone heard from York or Sheffield?? I sent off my application a month ago and I haven't heard from them yet :frown:((
Also got mine from Exeter today, they must be starting to dosh them out
Original post by TheTopStudent
Also got mine from Exeter today, they must be starting to dosh them out

Original post by aeryk
I applied 15 days ago and got my offer from Kings and Exeter today. I'm pretty sure you will get it soon too.

Original post by daniellon
I just got an offer from Leeds this afternoon. Btw I applied to Sheffield and Birmingham as well

:woo: :party2: congrats guys! Does that mean you have at least 1 offer now, Student? :tongue:
Reply 48
I've applied to Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Southamption and Birmingham. So far I've got offers from Warwick, Birmingham and Southampton. Assuming I get offerers I don't know who to put as my insurance, Bristol or Bath? :frown: (Warwick firm)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil
I've applied to Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Southamption and Birmingham. So far I've got offers from Warwick, Birmingham and Southampton. Assuming I get offerers I don't know who to put as my insurance, Bristol or Bath? :frown: (Warwick firm)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
:woo: :party2: congrats guys! Does that mean you have at least 1 offer now, Student? :tongue:

Yeh looks like it finally happened!
Thanks man:biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by physicsmaths
I would say bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the reasoning behind choosing Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath do Offer Holders' days so if you're able to, have a visit and see what it's like. I'd imagine that Bristol do them too.

I'm a current student at Bath and love almost everything about the uni and almost everything about the course. About the uni, I don't like how my timetable is laid out but that'd probably be the same anywhere else. The course, I don't like two of the 15 modules (both to do with Algebra, which I just don't get on with!)I've studied so far but the rest are fine.
Original post by JPencil
What is the reasoning behind choosing Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is generally slightly better I think. Nice campus/uni, also the grades required are distant enough form Warwickshire offer to make it fine to put them as an insurance. I would try to visit both if I was you or pick whichever courses you like better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Recieved all 5 offers! From Liverpool, Sheffield, Coventry, UEA and Loughborough for Mathematics BSc :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by SeanFM
Bath do Offer Holders' days so if you're able to, have a visit and see what it's like. I'd imagine that Bristol do them too.

I'm a current student at Bath and love almost everything about the uni and almost everything about the course. About the uni, I don't like how my timetable is laid out but that'd probably be the same anywhere else. The course, I don't like two of the 15 modules (both to do with Algebra, which I just don't get on with!)I've studied so far but the rest are fine.

Can i ask how good are the Professor's? And what the students are generally like? (hard working or 24/7 party)
And what the city of Bath is like?
Sorry for all the questions :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil
Can i ask how good are the Professor's? And what the students are generally like? (hard working or 24/7 party)
And what the city of Bath is like?
Sorry for all the questions :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Every semester so far, the people in my year on my course had one lecturer that some people don't like due to their lecturing style.
But lecturers switch around every so often so you could have differnet people. But those lecturers do listen to feedback.

A mix, really. I don't think I've met anyone who studies 24/7 (or needs to, unless it's cramming before exams). You don't have to look far to find outgoing people, sporty people, people volunteering, society members etc. It can be as sociable as you want it to be.
Original post by SeanFM
Every semester so far, the people in my year on my course had one lecturer that some people don't like due to their lecturing style.
But lecturers switch around every so often so you could have differnet people. But those lecturers do listen to feedback.

A mix, really. I don't think I've met anyone who studies 24/7 (or needs to, unless it's cramming before exams). You don't have to look far to find outgoing people, sporty people, people volunteering, society members etc. It can be as sociable as you want it to be.

Have u met Geoff Smith, apparently he is at Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Have u met Geoff Smith, apparently he is at Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I have, he gives talks on Offer Holders' days and teaches an algebra module in the first semester. Very sharp, confusing but sharp.
Original post by SeanFM
Yes I have, he gives talks on Offer Holders' days and teaches an algebra module in the first semester. Very sharp, confusing but sharp.

Yep, he is the leader of the IMO team and head of Bmo and I've read a few of his books for Olympiads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest