The Student Room Group

Mathematics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Yep, he is the leader of the IMO team and head of Bmo and I've read a few of his books for Olympiads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you get your offer in (one of these days surely...) you should pop down to an offer holders' day just to meet him :tongue:

He wrote a textbook for the first year algebra course here and I heard that he signs them if you ask. So maybe you can get your books signed :tongue:

He has done alot of things, including being in a movie apparently :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Once you get your offer in (one of these days surely...) you should pop down to an offer holders' day just to meet him :tongue:

He wrote a textbook for the first year algebra course here and I heard that he signs them if you ask. So maybe you can get your books signed :tongue:

He has done alot of things, including being in a movie apparently :tongue:

Yep he was in the documentary about The IMO maths team 2006. Then a famous movie came out and he is played in it( X+Y), he must be very intelligent to be one of the leaders in the event for the smartest people in the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep he was in the documentary about The IMO maths team 2006. Then a famous movie came out and he is played in it( X+Y), he must be very intelligent to be one of the leaders in the event for the smartest people in the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yesss, that's the movie I was thinking of. I must see it at some point, but if he's involved it'll probably be too complicated for me :colondollar:

He is very, very intelligent and some of the stuff he does in lectures.. :rofl: it was great to be taught by him.
Original post by SeanFM
Yesss, that's the movie I was thinking of. I must see it at some point, but if he's involved it'll probably be too complicated for me :colondollar:

He is very, very intelligent and some of the stuff he does in lectures.. :rofl: it was great to be taught by him.

It is on YouTube! It isn't a maths hard film!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's the head of the IMO jury now :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Snasher350
Surrey have given me an offer.
AAB (A in mathematics)

When?? I applied the 15th of November for Maths and Statistics (with placement) at Surrey and still haven't heard anything. Is it possible the the double degree and the placement offer makes it take longer? Will applying with placement influence the chances of getting an offer?
Original post by Rcnl
When?? I applied the 15th of November for Maths and Statistics (with placement) at Surrey and still haven't heard anything. Is it possible the the double degree and the placement offer makes it take longer? Will applying with placement influence the chances of getting an offer?

I applied at the start of October and got an offer back from Surrey on the 14th November. I can't really comment on the chances of getting an offer since I don't work at the uni, but I'm sure they will get back to you before the end of the year. Goodluck 👍
Reply 67
Got an offer from Edinburgh University for Mathematics : A*AA.
Reply 68
Original post by maranas
Got an offer from Edinburgh University for Mathematics : A*AA.

Congrats! When did you get the offer? I applied a month ago.
Is it likely that they send me an offer even though I have predicted AAAB including B in further maths? (Not A*AA) although I really feel I can get the A* in maths...

By the way, I thought they only sent offers once they received all offers from applicants.
Reply 69
Original post by Rcnl
Congrats! When did you get the offer? I applied a month ago.
Is it likely that they send me an offer even though I have predicted AAAB including B in further maths? (Not A*AA) although I really feel I can get the A* in maths...

By the way, I thought they only sent offers once they received all offers from applicants.

Hey, my UCAS application was sent about 3 weeks ago and I received my offer from Edinburgh almost 3 hours ago. I was actually surprised at getting the offer of A*AA, I thought it was going to be ABB-AAA. However my predicted grades are A*A*A (A* in maths and fmaths, A in phys) and I think I will put Edinburgh as my second choice.

I'm not sure whether they were meant to send out offers after they've received all applications, but I know some other universities like UCL are meant to do that, though I know someone who already has an offer from UCL despite that^^.

Have you received any offers from anywhere? Good luck with your offer from Edinburgh!
Reply 70
Ive got conditional offers from Cardiff and Swansea, and an unconditional from USW - still waiting to hear from Surrey and Exeter though. Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon!!
Reply 71
I got an offer from Bristol today:
AA (A in maths, A in further maths) OR A*A (A* in maths, A in physics)
Reply 72
Original post by maranas

That's great! Congratulations. Can I ask what was the gap between them receiving your application and you getting the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by JPencil
That's great! Congratulations. Can I ask what was the gap between them receiving your application and you getting the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

about 2 and a half weeks
Original post by Green98
Ive got conditional offers from Cardiff and Swansea, and an unconditional from USW - still waiting to hear from Surrey and Exeter though. Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon!!

Original post by maranas

Congrats guys! :woo:
Subbing. Maths and CompSci applicant here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from Edinburgh of A*AA, anyone else got one from Ed?
Original post by maranas
Hey, my UCAS application was sent about 3 weeks ago and I received my offer from Edinburgh almost 3 hours ago. I was actually surprised at getting the offer of A*AA, I thought it was going to be ABB-AAA. However my predicted grades are A*A*A (A* in maths and fmaths, A in phys) and I think I will put Edinburgh as my second choice.

I'm not sure whether they were meant to send out offers after they've received all applications, but I know some other universities like UCL are meant to do that, though I know someone who already has an offer from UCL despite that^^.

Have you received any offers from anywhere? Good luck with your offer from Edinburgh!

I got an offer from Edinburgh of A*AA as well. I was quite surprised! Thought it would be around AAB. I'm also doing maths, f maths and physics with predicted grades of A* in maths and Fmath and an A in physics.
Original post by Jackmleitch
I got an offer from Edinburgh of A*AA as well. I was quite surprised! Thought it would be around AAB. I'm also doing maths, f maths and physics with predicted grades of A* in maths and Fmath and an A in physics.

Congrats on your offer, even if it's higher than you expected. :tongue:
Reply 79
Original post by Jackmleitch

I see that we are pretty similar in our grades. Have you got all of your offers now? and do you know yet which unis will be your first and backup choices? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest