The Student Room Group

Mathematics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maranas
I see that we are pretty similar in our grades. Have you got all of your offers now? and do you know yet which unis will be your first and backup choices? :smile:

I have 4 out of 4 (waiting to hear from bath), probably Edinburgh first (for the cross country running and orienteering as well as the maths) and then bath/Bristol second. You?
Original post by Jackmleitch
I have 4 out of 4 (waiting to hear from bath), probably Edinburgh first (for the cross country running and orienteering as well as the maths) and then bath/Bristol second. You?

Bath😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Have you still not heard from Bath? I got my offer a few weeks ago from them
I only applied like 2 weeks ago :/ I meant I have heard from 4/5*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordan\
Have you still not heard from Bath? I got my offer a few weeks ago from them

Yh havent heard yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite surprised I've gotten an offer from St Andrews already
Anybody got an offer from Durham yet? I've applied there, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle. Offers from all apart from Durham :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordan\
Quite surprised I've gotten an offer from St Andrews already

:woo: congrats! :biggrin:

Original post by Kieranoo
Anybody got an offer from Durham yet? I've applied there, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle. Offers from all apart from Durham :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied 2 years ago, it was the last of my rejections to come through :tongue: they seem to be very slow.
Original post by Kieranoo

Posted from TSR Mobile

What offers if you get from Edinburgh?
Reply 89
Offers from Glasgow and Surrey for Maths and Statistics
Original post by Rcnl
Offers from Glasgow and Surrey for Maths and Statistics

:woo: Maths with Stats, great fun!

Congrats :smile:
@SeanFM what is the first year course like at Bath, from the perspective of someone who's done it? (ie. How are the lectures? Are there classes? Work sheets? Any bad courses etc.) :smile:
Original post by Jordan\
@SeanFM what is the first year course like at Bath, from the perspective of someone who's done it? (ie. How are the lectures? Are there classes? Work sheets? Any bad courses etc.) :smile:

I've talked a bit about it on this thread, as has someone else, but I'll share what I think about it here and hopefully I'm saying the same thing as I did before. :tongue:

The first year was alright. It was challenging but not too challenging. The people who work hard/engage with the material are definitely rewarded with good grades. People who do some work but not a huge amount can get an okay grade and then you have the people who do nothing, they don't do very well.

The first week (and first semester) was quite interesting. I know of someone who gave up gave up straight away and switched to an Economics degree at Bath. You get set this really difficult problem sheet by a guy called Geoff Smith (you may have heard of him from the IMO or something) and all his sheets are quite difficult, but they're there to push you, and the exam isn't as anywhere near as hard as the sheets make it out to be. But anyway, he teaches the hardest module of the year (Algebra 1A), and that's in the first semester.

There are 5 modules per semester. It'll probably be the first time you come across Algebra and Analysis (unless you've done some reading beforehand, which you don't really need to do for Bath), then there's a module that brings everyone up to speed with some FP2 and FP3 stuff, a probability & stats module and finally a computing module. So you're just looking at the tip of the iceberg, and if you're on the right course then you get a bit of choice in the second year and a bit more in the third year to do what you enjoy. If you're not on the right course, you get the opportunity to switch after the first year.

As for how interesting the content is, I cannot objectively say as I'm not a fan of Algebra or Analysis or computing (the theory side of it, anyway - programming on the other hand has been quite interesting!). Most lectures were pretty well attended apart from one at 5 o'clock and ones to do with particular modules - people just stopped showing up to them, so much so that an email was sent out asking where everyone was.

There are 'tutorials', 1 hour per module per week (there's one exception, the programming module where you get 1 hour in a computer lab and 1 hour for a normal theory tutorial). For the first year, this was just a group of.. maybe 15 people and you'd be in that same group for the whole year.

Are they useful? Depends on who your tutor is, I suppose. Almost all of mine were great last year (apart from one where the module was quite difficult so I didn't find the tutorials useful). If they're good, they'll go through key theory from the week, go over the previous problem sheet by working through problems that most people had difficulties with, give hints for the next problem sheet and maybe look at a past paper in the last week.

And yes, you do get problem sheets, 1 for each module per week (apart from, again, computing where you get 1 programming task as well as the theory). They are quite difficult, and you'd have to be really bright to be able to do all of the questions. They're meant to take up 1-2 hours per sheet, and they're helpful for just making you look over notes, understand definitions and theorems etc as well as give you an idea of what could come up in the exam. Heck, for some exams, questions come directly from the problem sheet!

So yes, first year wasn't too bad, Bath itself is quite nice and has a lot going on.

First semester of second year - not so much. I've only enjoyed 1 of the 5 modules, but next semester and third year looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to it. Next semester as well, there's also some accounting / finance modules that I'll be studying, which'll be a nice break from Maths, I hope!

There's also the opportunity to study a language (for free!), and in the third year it can count towards your degree classification (they'd probably object if it was your first/second language though).

If there's anything else, feel free to ask. :smile:
Original post by Jackmleitch
What offers if you get from Edinburgh?

A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for Mathematics BSc at Liverpool, Sheffield, Coventry, Loughborough and UEA, and recieved offers from all 5. Is anyone on here going to the Liverpool Applicant Day on the 16th of Jan?
Applied to Royal Holloway, Exeter, Reading, Sussex and Oxford Brookes and have got offers from all of them, including an unconditional from RH :biggrin: Do any of you know what you want to do after studying maths??
Original post by funkyberry
Applied to Royal Holloway, Exeter, Reading, Sussex and Oxford Brookes and have got offers from all of them, including an unconditional from RH :biggrin: Do any of you know what you want to do after studying maths??

No idea, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by funkyberry

Maybe Finance or some statistical job most likely. If im good enough maybe research but that won't happen lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
guys, I need help with this situation...

I am a Spanish student applying for Mathematics in edinburgh and St andrews.In my UCAS application, the predicted grade I was given for the Maths A-level was an A after obtaining an 85% in the May/June exams. However, I retook the exam on November and the results came out. Having achieved a 94%, my school and I think that I am now very capable of obtaining an A* in my A-Level. I know its going to be very difficult for those unis to accept me if I don't have an A* predicted. What should I do? Should I send an email to the admissions department? If so, edinburgh university doesn't have a specific email for the admissions department, do they? I really want to get in in one of those unis... Thanks in advance!If its anyone's concern, I have predicted grades AAAB with A in Maths and B in Further Maths (I'm doing the entire A-level in one year)
Original post by Rcnl
guys, I need help with this situation...

I am a Spanish student applying for Mathematics in edinburgh and St andrews.In my UCAS application, the predicted grade I was given for the Maths A-level was an A after obtaining an 85% in the May/June exams. However, I retook the exam on November and the results came out. Having achieved a 94%, my school and I think that I am now very capable of obtaining an A* in my A-Level. I know its going to be very difficult for those unis to accept me if I don't have an A* predicted. What should I do? Should I send an email to the admissions department? If so, edinburgh university doesn't have a specific email for the admissions department, do they? I really want to get in in one of those unis... Thanks in advance!If its anyone's concern, I have predicted grades AAAB with A in Maths and B in Further Maths (I'm doing the entire A-level in one year)

I'm not sure if anyone reading this would be able to give you a good answer :redface:

It may be worth posting here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Good luck! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest