The Student Room Group

Assessment for social work (please help)

Hey guys, basically all the universities i'm applying for social work (BA) has instuational tests, and I have no clue what the test will involve or how I can prepare for the test, if someone could help me out that would be great on what i'll need or how I can prepare for it...
thank you :smile:
Where have you applied? The uni's I went too, all of them involved a written test exercise, and two had a group exercise we were scored on. The written exercises are usually a case study and you write what you think about it or what you would do. Group ones can be different; at one uni we were given a case study with four points that we had to cover as a group, whilst at another we had to build a bridge out of paper and sellotape and balance a toy car on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Where have you applied? The uni's I went too, all of them involved a written test exercise, and two had a group exercise we were scored on. The written exercises are usually a case study and you write what you think about it or what you would do. Group ones can be different; at one uni we were given a case study with four points that we had to cover as a group, whilst at another we had to build a bridge out of paper and sellotape and balance a toy car on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying at these following universities:
°University of Nottingham
°Nottingham Trent university
°Oxford Brookes
°Birmingham university
°Coventry university
So basically most of the written tests are on case studies? Is it really hard or is it pretty straightforward?
Thank you so much :smile:
Last year each uni was slightly different i was asked for a additional extended personal statement with more explanation of social work practice, skills and values. Also there were a few case study based round challenges of social work and your existing skills. My suggestion would be to research the values (sssc, basw) also to start reading a newspaper like the Guardian's health and social care section, also there a many books based on the introduction to social work which will be good and also (you'll have to read in your first year anyways -- Social work: introducing professional practice - Patricia Higham 2006).
Original post by kerrylu21
Last year each uni was slightly different i was asked for a additional extended personal statement with more explanation of social work practice, skills and values. Also there were a few case study based round challenges of social work and your existing skills. My suggestion would be to research the values (sssc, basw) also to start reading a newspaper like the Guardian's health and social care section, also there a many books based on the introduction to social work which will be good and also (you'll have to read in your first year anyways -- Social work: introducing professional practice - Patricia Higham 2006).

thank you so much for your help :smile:
Hey guys.

I am applying to
Canterbury
Kent
Greenwich
Conventry
Sussex
Still working on my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by heydollitsrach
I'm applying at these following universities:
°University of Nottingham
°Nottingham Trent university
°Oxford Brookes
°Birmingham university
°Coventry university
So basically most of the written tests are on case studies? Is it really hard or is it pretty straightforward?
Thank you so much :smile:

I have also applied for nottingham trent university. I wondered if you have already had your interview and if you have how it went/what it included as im really nervous about it!

Quick Reply

Latest