The Student Room Group

Feel so stupid at uni.

Spoiler

What are you studying?
Original post by AlleyO

Spoiler

Hey I feel like this all the time, genuinely feel stupid and like I'm falling behind. But I still come out with mostly good marks and a 2:1 average and have been here for three years.

Have you had any assessments or marked work yet? If so how did you do and what was the feedback like? that can be a major help in ascertaining what you are struggling with and what you can do to catch up and do better in future.
Reply 3
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
What are you studying?

Philosophy.
think there are a lot of us that feel the same, i think you should stop comparing and try to improve only yourself.
Original post by AlleyO
Philosophy.

Don't compare to others. Just put as much time in to the essays as much as possible, then use feedback to improve your grade further :smile:
You'll get your 2.1!
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Hey I feel like this all the time, genuinely feel stupid and like I'm falling behind. But I still come out with mostly good marks and a 2:1 average and have been here for three years.

Have you had any assessments or marked work yet? If so how did you do and what was the feedback like? that can be a major help in ascertaining what you are struggling with and what you can do to catch up and do better in future.

That's nice to hear I'm not the only one haha - I tried asking my friends if they felt this way the other day but they didn't seem to agree :s I've had a couple of essays back & the response was very mixed, neither good nor bad really, it's just so hard to tell. I know i've only just started, I just feel like I am constantly asking myself how I even managed to get in to Uni most days haha.
Original post by AlleyO
That's nice to hear I'm not the only one haha - I tried asking my friends if they felt this way the other day but they didn't seem to agree :s I've had a couple of essays back & the response was very mixed, neither good nor bad really, it's just so hard to tell. I know i've only just started, I just feel like I am constantly asking myself how I even managed to get in to Uni most days haha.

I'm constantly asking myself how I'm even still here :tongue:

What have your marks been like?
Since your doing philosophy the marking may not be as clear as my course (biomed) so you may want to talk to specific markers on what they're looking for. As what lecturer A wants may be slightly different to what lecturer B wants as a lot of it I assume is arguments and opinions? Which is something I have no experience with as they're heavily frowned upon on my course in which you're only supposed to give facts and evidence.
Reply 8
Original post by AlleyO

Spoiler

Accidentally repped.

Don't worry, everyone goes through a phase where they feel stupid. Have you tried to plan your study sessions and talked to a tutor?
Oh no....now I'm nervous about taking a gap year....
same position here!! I took 2 years out and despite having grown in many areas my mental stamina is gone! Now Im a fresher and I only manage 6 hours max. of study per day (including class study!) And I've forgotten how to write essays and stuff too! Remember aswell that you are probably coming from an average sixth form/college to a uni where people are generally more intelligent, especially if you're at a good uni! Also, in seminars its normally the clever people that contribute and the less confident people dont as much, so when you only hear the super clever peoples opinions you presume everyone knows that much, when they probably don't. At least thats what Ive found.

But Im sure it will work out for you, remember how hard A levels seemed at the start?? You obviously did ok in them if you got into uni =)
Reply 11
Original post by Trevormacdonald
U r stoopid, for taking such a useless degree, but youll be o.k as the gap year hasent affected you as you dont need any back ground info. Everyone is in the same boat as you.
Cant you swap to a more useful degree?

I think it'd be far more 'stoopid' to take a degree you didn't like based solely on utility..
oh dear
The **** you mean, you aint the only one. I am the thickest on my course but i dont really compare myself to others cuz i am FABULOUS
Believe me, you're not stupid. The fact you are even thinking about it shows 'reflection' a key academic trait!!

I was first an undergrad 6 years ago (I'm looking to go back to Uni again next year) and I remember feeling inadequate, and overall pretty thick!

I think it's a general thing that most people go through. The cocky ones, rarely get the grades believe me! I came out with a 2.1 (how, I don't know!) while my boyfriend at the time got a 2.2 and he spent the three years bragging how much more clever he was than me.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. It's like pre graduation jitters! The best academics are the he's that doubt themselves. (I'm a teacher by trade ):wink:

Quick Reply

Latest