The Student Room Group

UCAS Application - do i add my online a level

i'm going to be taking an online chemistry a level course, as my school wouldnt allow me to take it alongside my other hard subjects. the online course doesnt have an AS, just A level, when i submit to ucas... do i add it as a pending A level? or what? i know my school wont send the unis a target grade for it.. because i wont have one.. so what do i tell them?
Original post by JoshDowsett4
i'm going to be taking an online chemistry a level course, as my school wouldnt allow me to take it alongside my other hard subjects. the online course doesnt have an AS, just A level, when i submit to ucas... do i add it as a pending A level? or what? i know my school wont send the unis a target grade for it.. because i wont have one.. so what do i tell them?

What's the name of the awarding body? If it's just an online course like an MOOC, then it's probably best to mention it in your personal statement rather than the education section of your application; however, if it's a proper A Level, then you'd enter it as pending, although you'd need to add the name of the centre where you intend to sit the exams for it and the date you expect to complete that A Level.

To be honest, if you haven't done any exams in that subject and are only doing it for your own pleasure, then there's not much reason to mention it on your educational history (since you don't actually hold any qualifications in that subject yet). Not to mention that it's only really worth something to your application if you can get your referee to predict you a grade, which is unlikely since you're doing it without the school's involvement.
Reply 2
It's a full AQA A level chemistry course... So i would add it as a pending A level? And perhaps i could take a mock AS level exam? And then my referee could use that to predict me a grade?
Reply 3
You can do A-Levels completely online? :lolwut:

I second what Hydeman said :h:
Original post by JoshDowsett4
It's a full AQA A level chemistry course... So i would add it as a pending A level? And perhaps i could take a mock AS level exam? And then my referee could use that to predict me a grade?

Yes, you'd add it as a pending grade if it's a proper A Level course which, given that AQA is the awarding body, it is.

If your referee is willing to do it, then yes, there's no harm in doing that. However, you might struggle a bit -- I don't know about your school but my school wouldn't have been too pleased about me circumventing their restriction by doing an A Level in my own time.
Reply 5
Yes, add it as pending. If anything, I think it would look good that you have gone out of your way to study at home!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending