The Student Room Group

Do you consider this quote to be..

Do you consider this quote to contain assonance?

"I am the father of excellence and plenty"

Also, is there a word for Polysyllabic words like excellence that repeat vowel sounds?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JPO92
Do you consider this quote to contain assonance?

"I am the father of excellence and plenty"

Also, is there a word for Polysyllabic words like excellence that repeat vowel sounds?

Yes, but it's not the best example. The words are harder to pick out in my head for some reason... :dontknow:
There's definitely something in the e's.

And I'm not aware of another word - your way of describing it seems fine :fluffy:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
Yes, but it's not the best example. The words are harder to pick out in my head for some reason... :dontknow:
There's definitely something in the e's.

And I'm not aware of another word - your way of describing it seems fine :fluffy:

It's the 'eh' sound in excellence and plenty. Like you say, it's not a beautiful example, but it's the best I can find in the chapter I'm analysing although I will go back and have a second look. Thanks! :chaplin:
Reply 3
Original post by JPO92
It's the 'eh' sound in excellence and plenty. Like you say, it's not a beautiful example, but it's the best I can find in the chapter I'm analysing although I will go back and have a second look. Thanks! :chaplin:

I picked up the 'ee' in the and plenty, too - it's probably just my accent or the fact I'm half asleep... :giggle:
Everything depends on your accent and how you read it :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by Neuth
I picked up the 'ee' in the and plenty, too - it's probably just my accent or the fact I'm half asleep... :giggle:
Everything depends on your accent and how you read it :yep:

Haha you're quite right! I will be sure to factor that in, it might make a useful point about interpretation by the reader actually! Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending