The Student Room Group

Bmat & Ukcat...

Hey TSR,
Okay I have just finished looking at and attempting past [papers, and now I ma reeeeealy worried. I keep getting reeeeealy low scores but my first choice uni is UCL who only guarantee interview wth people with 19.0 and over...I'm really nervous now about the test!:frown:
Can anyone advise me about how to do better on the BMAT...Shall I buy the book is it useful? And what else can I do to improve my ability to do well in the ******* test?!:mad:
Also, anyone have any tips on the UKCAT test aswell? I'm still waiting for their website to open to have my FIRST LOOK at the format.
Thanks for your comments:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Hey concentrate on your upcoming exams , focus on those admissions test during the summer and i'm from east london aswell lolz
Reply 2
OMW YOU'RE DOING PRACTICE TESTS NOW !!??!!!!!!!!!! are u the same person who lost it when they got rejected from their placement choice...lawl :P.

first CHILL MATE and secondly knowing you, you've probably found this site already but incase you havent: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/
Oh gosh, I hope not many chavs get into medicine! :p:
Reply 4
Philosoraptor
Oh gosh, I hope not many chavs get into medicine! :p:

eh?

coming from east london doesn't make you a chav!
shenzys
Hey TSR,
Okay I have just finished looking at and attempting past [papers, and now I ma reeeeealy worried. I keep getting reeeeealy low scores but my first choice uni is UCL who only guarantee interview wth people with 19.0 and over...I'm really nervous now about the test!:frown:
Can anyone advise me about how to do better on the BMAT...Shall I buy the book is it useful? And what else can I do to improve my ability to do well in the ******* test?!:mad:
Also, anyone have any tips on the UKCAT test aswell? I'm still waiting for their website to open to have my FIRST LOOK at the format.
Thanks for your comments:redface:

Forget about them. Completely. Focus 100% of your being onto getting amazing grades in your upcoming exams. Then in the summer you can start thinking about these.
It wasn't that, but rather some of the vernacular she decides to use in her profile :p:
Reply 7
I admire your keeness. But concentrate on your AS. There's no point of getting ABBC or something like that and a good UKCAT as you won't be predicted that AAA or AAB you need.

Your skills will improve as the year will go on and the UKCAT stuff cannot be learnt and as long as you revise the gcse stuff they ask .. then you'll do fine.
Start worrying about the BMAT after your AS exams :smile:
Reply 9
well - as levels arent exactly THAT hard...
i did a bit of bmat - now that is *****ing hard :frown::frown:
aMasterPieceOfDNA
Start worrying about the BMAT after your AS exams :smile:

Edit that - worry about the BMAT the weekend before when you suddenly realise you can't actually long divide without a calculator :wink:
sknskn90
well - as levels arent exactly THAT hard..

Now that varies from person to person....

Anyway to the OP, I was slightly worried about this. Visit the new media medicine website, and they have a forum dedicated to UKCAT/BMAT. On which there are some useful threads which include links to psychometric tests, which I find help. :biggrin:

Also there is a book you can purchase of Amazon , which some have said helps. However I do not have it personally so I cant say.
As others have said try to nail your AS's and think about the UKCAT/BMAT afterwards.
Good luck x
You don't need books/psychometric tests. All you need is to look over your GCSE science and maths stuff, be able to do maths without a calculator, practice writing a few essays, muster all your powers of commonsense and logic, read the questions thoroughly and be able to work to the clock. This does NOT require from now until November!
Yes thats true for the BMAT.

I dont think the UKCAT contains a science component yet does it??
Luckily I only have to do the UKCAT, many have said the BMAT is more difficult than the UKCAT.
No, there's no science. The UKCAT only applies to the last three things I said - the commonsense, logic and so on. They even have a wee calculator on screen!
becca2389
Edit that - worry about the BMAT the weekend before when you suddenly realise you can't actually long divide without a calculator :wink:

:redface: I only learnt how to do long division at the beginning of C2...

becca2389 (or just Becca!) do you mind me asking what score you got for your BMAT? Did you meet the 19 threshold? I see you have a nice little offer of BBB for UCL. At the open day, Dr Cross said they tended to give lower offers like that to people who did exceptionally well at interview, so nice one :wink:
Yeah she got something disgusting like 25.5. They say they give it to people who do excellently at interview but I personally think they mean people with great GCSE grades and BMAT, who do ok at interview :p:
Reply 17
Philosoraptor
Yeah she got something disgusting like 25.5. They say they give it to people who do excellently at interview but I personally think they mean people with great GCSE grades and BMAT, who do ok at interview :p:

they don't actually know what your BMAT score when you have an interview... they just use it to pick people for interview...
Mystery
As for other med schools such as Imperial and UCl people can get into them with relatively good scores e.g. 17-19 so I wouldn't worry too much about the BMAT for those med schools too much.

Having been rejected from Imperial College without interview, I asked them why I was rejected, to which they replied that "while my application was very good, there were other candidates with better BMAT scores".

My scores for sections 1, 2 and 3 were 5.0, 4.1 and 10.5 respectively. While 19.6 is an adequate score, it was probably the 4.1 in section 2 that let me down and was thus the thing that stopped me getting that all-important interview.

Just my two pence but it seems that this year they have placed a bit more importance on that BMAT.
Revenged
they don't actually know what your BMAT score when you have an interview... they just use it to pick people for interview...

Well ok. I'm not bothered - my offer is lower :wink: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending