The Student Room Group

How do I got about doing a second degree in social work?

Already done one degree but looking to do social work due to the current lack of social workers.
Reply 1
Original post by finnian141
Already done one degree but looking to do social work due to the current lack of social workers.

Just apply via ucas to do another one :smile:

Start by checking your eligibility for funding. Second undergraduate degrees are a minefield.
Reply 3
Original post by Jantaculum
Start by checking your eligibility for funding. Second undergraduate degrees are a minefield.

It depend on the length of the first degree usually you get 4 years of higher education funded for
Can do a masters course in it?
Social Work is funded by the NHS, even as a second degree, so you'd just apply in the same way that you did your first.
Original post by sw651
It depend on the length of the first degree usually you get 4 years of higher education funded for

There is no funding for a second degree unless it is funded by the NHS.
Original post by sw651

The fourth year is to allow for four year degrees or one false start - not an extra year of a second undergraduate degree
Reply 8
I'm reading your tuition fees aren't covered and nor is your first year
I'm reading your tuition fees aren't covered and nor is your first year

I thought that might be the case - as a second degree, you wouldn't be entitled to any student loan through Student Finance.

Funding for social work degrees can be supported by the NHS but bursaries are only available from second year onwards, they are limited in number, and they may not cover the total cost.

I suspect you might have to trawl through university websites to see if the individual universities have grants/scholarships/bursaries and apply for those.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There is no funding for a second degree unless it is funded by the NHS.

I thought government funding was four years
Reply 11
Original post by Jantaculum
The fourth year is to allow for four year degrees or one false start - not an extra year of a second undergraduate degree

My bad
Original post by sw651
I thought government funding was four years

The actual formula is length of course + one year - years already taken for first degree, but there is nothing at all for second degrees.
Reply 13
The actual formula is length of course + one year - years already taken for first degree, but there is nothing at all for second degrees.

I see. In regards to the OP's question, would NHS funding only cover them if they wanted to work for the NHS after?
Original post by sw651
I see. In regards to the OP's question, would NHS funding only cover them if they wanted to work for the NHS after?

I'm not an expert in that, I'm afraid. I don't think so, but that's one for @claireestelle or the folks in the student finance forums.
I'm not an expert in that, I'm afraid. I don't think so, but that's one for @claireestelle or the folks in the student finance forums.

Original post by sw651

You can work wherever you wish after graduation, you could even emigrate. The only time you have to is on a secondment contract from a trust.
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
You can work wherever you wish after graduation, you could even emigrate. The only time you have to is on a secondment contract from a trust.

Thank you for clearing it up :smile:
Reply 17
Did anyone find out about this that they can give me any info on it? I want to do the Ba social work as a second degree because I've already done my first degree in early childhood studies and got a 2.2 classification. Thanks in advance.
Would nhs bursaries fund year 2-3 for everyone or does the uni also choose and put forward who they want?
I know year 1 isn't but currently funded. How have you all managed to do a second degree without being funded by a student finance England?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending