The Student Room Group

Cambelt Change, Advice?

I have a 1.1 Citroen c3 (Single Cam), I know they due for a new timing belt at 80,000, but I can't remember if the guy before be had it changed or not.

Its at 96,000 now, I had a little look through the invoices in the log book pack, we found one for a timing belt and a few other things BUT its ridiculously cheap, Like £130 quid, I honestly cannot see a garage changing it for that, Theres no date or mileage on the invoice at all; When I tried to call the garage on the invoice I was told pretty bluntly to f**k off and not call again.. I think their business may have shut down or something, Any advice on what to do? I don't really want to fork out 260 quid for a new timing belt and water pump if it has already done..
I#m not sure why someone would just buy a timing belt and not install it though? Would a timing belt go 15,000 over its limit without snapping?

I could honestly do without paying £260 to have it changed..
Reply 1
Is this an interferance or none interferance engine? If the latter, run it 'til it snaps. If the former, get it done.
I wouldn't run it till it snaps, Just saying bro, But that will completely total the engine.
Also in another update, the Invoice says:
Timing Belt Service, Oil Filter, Engine Oil, Bulb, Headlight Alignment, Fitted timing belt, Front pads; But no information on WAter pump,tensioner ect
Reply 4
Original post by Billy_edmonds
I wouldn't run it till it snaps, Just saying bro, But that will completely total the engine.

Depends if it's interference or not. If it is an interference engine (the valves, when open, occupy the same space as the piston at the top of its cycle) then yes, it will bugger it if it goes. If it's not, however, the engine will just stop running.

Unless you know which it is either way, just get it done. I just had to fork out £350 for the timing belt and water pump on my Passat as I had no record of it being done recently. Bloody B5 platform.
My belt snapped and I had to dump the car. Get it changed either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending