The Student Room Group

History of Art Applicants 2015/16!!

Hi everyone :smile:
There's no current threads for HoA applicants, so I decided to make one! Where's everyone going, and on what grades etc?
Anyone got any offers or interviews yet?

I was meant to be applying last year, but couldn't for various reasons (not grades), but am applying this year instead!
I have literally just sent in my ucas to apply to Warwick, UCL, UEA, York, and The Courtauld Institute (1st choice). I got AAB at AS, and am predicted A*AB- surprisingly over what I need! Am very excited!
-Fran

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I've applied to Cambridge, York, Nottingham, Bristol and Manchester for HoA. I (somehow) have offers from everywhere already aside from Cambridge. I really hope I get an interview invitation at least! I'm doing four A Levels- Art, Classics, English Lit and History. Got AAAA at AS Level (biggest shock of my life) and I'm predicted A*A*A*A at A2 Level (Lol, as if that's going to happen). I was very tempted to apply to the Courtauld, but felt uncomfortable applying for another university (well, institute, whatever) that's as competitive as Cambridge, and I was also put off by how expensive the accommodation and living costs are in London. I visited the Courtauld Gallery during the summer, though, and it's AMAZING. The course at the Courtauld looks fabulous, too.
Reply 2
Wow, well done one those grades and offers! Good luck with Cambridge too :smile: I decided not to apply because the grades were slightly too hight, and also because like you, I didn't want to apply to too many Uber competitive universities. In regards to the finance thing, I do agree that it's ridiculously expensive, but ice just decided to be poor and in debt for the rest of my life 😂
Either that, or I'll have to be very anti feminist, and find myself a rich husband (I say that in a tongue in cheek way of course).
Original post by VenetiaStanley
Hi!
I've applied to Cambridge, York, Nottingham, Bristol and Manchester for HoA. I (somehow) have offers from everywhere already aside from Cambridge. I really hope I get an interview invitation at least! I'm doing four A Levels- Art, Classics, English Lit and History. Got AAAA at AS Level (biggest shock of my life) and I'm predicted A*A*A*A at A2 Level (Lol, as if that's going to happen). I was very tempted to apply to the Courtauld, but felt uncomfortable applying for another university (well, institute, whatever) that's as competitive as Cambridge, and I was also put off by how expensive the accommodation and living costs are in London. I visited the Courtauld Gallery during the summer, though, and it's AMAZING. The course at the Courtauld looks fabulous, too.

Oh hi! I've applied to Cambridge for History of Art as well, but haven't received any interview notice yet either.. Which college are you applying to? :smile:
Original post by FranScan97
Wow, well done one those grades and offers! Good luck with Cambridge too :smile: I decided not to apply because the grades were slightly too hight, and also because like you, I didn't want to apply to too many Uber competitive universities. In regards to the finance thing, I do agree that it's ridiculously expensive, but ice just decided to be poor and in debt for the rest of my life 😂
Either that, or I'll have to be very anti feminist, and find myself a rich husband (I say that in a tongue in cheek way of course).

Haha thank you. I very much doubt Cambridge are going to make me an offer, but just decided to go for it anyway, I'd rather get rejected than spend the rest of my life wondering "What if?". Your grades are amazing as well. You're bound to have a good chance for the Courtauld, good luck to you too! I was also going to apply to UCL but the expense of London was too daunting haha, although I bet the experience would be amazing, I already regret it slightly.
Original post by timothytpy
Oh hi! I've applied to Cambridge for History of Art as well, but haven't received any interview notice yet either.. Which college are you applying to? :smile:

Magdalene! What about you? Also have you studied HoA before? I've never had the opportunity sadly :frown:
Reply 6
Im also applying to study HofA. Applying to the Coutauld, UEAx2, Warwick and Sussex. Has anyone had any offers yet? I feel the same way about London prices, but the Courtauld is more of a Miracle Uni, so that probably won't happen, even though I wish it does!!!!
Original post by v-corlh
Im also applying to study HofA. Applying to the Coutauld, UEAx2, Warwick and Sussex. Has anyone had any offers yet? I feel the same way about London prices, but the Courtauld is more of a Miracle Uni, so that probably won't happen, even though I wish it does!!!!

Applying to the Courtauld is worth a shot, you won't know unless you try! Good luck!
Original post by VenetiaStanley
Magdalene! What about you? Also have you studied HoA before? I've never had the opportunity sadly :frown:

oh wow! Magdalene has a reputation of being quite competitive in history of art... but I'm sure you'll do well!! Well, I fortunately am doing history of art as one of my subjects in alevel :smile: but I don't think I'm in an advantaged position at all as I literally just decided to go for cambridge at the end of summer... and I've actually just come to Britain a year ago, so my english is still an issue..
Reply 9
Hello all:smile: For everyone applying the Courtauld I went to the open day on Friday and thought I could offer some insight into this enigma of a university! We sat through a mini lecture about the Taj Mahal (which was fascinating) and the area itself is just beautiful (zone 1 too)! However, all the halls within within walking distance from The Courtauld are at best £170, so unless you're rolling in it, I think it's a very important factor to consider.. Another setback I found was that you get taught by PhD students a lot? I didn't expect this from such an elitist institution, so I though I should make everyone aware of that! Seems ridiculous to pay 9k to get taught by a student?? The final con I found was obviously the tiny size of it, ergo the poor social aspects available.. I really wanted to like this uni due to its fantastic reputation, but it's just feels like it's relying on its name to get applicants, rather than trying to impress the contenders themselves with what they have to offer. I shall still apply but probably turn it down if I get an offer for somewhere with a bit more going on, and re-try when it comes to applying for MAs...
Reply 10
Thank you crushing our dreams, random stranger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ooh, just got confirmation emails back from everywhere. I'm absolutely terrified!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heyyyyy
youre all going to be jobless when you graduate lol

seriously though history of art is a **** degree

Seriously though, I don't give a **** about your opinion. I'd rather be jobless and broke than study something else that I don't care about for the sake of career prospects. Life's too short.
Reply 13
It really ****s me off when people are ********s about art history. At least we're being brave and doing what we want, instead of doing what society supposedly expects people to do. Screw the haters.
It really ****s me off when people are ********s about art history. At least we're being brave and doing what we want, instead of doing what society supposedly expects people to do. Screw the haters.

Hear, hear!
Reply 15
Hi everyone :smile: has anyone got any more offers/interviews? I woke up this morning to an email saying that I had an offer and a interview, but UCAS Track was down so I couldn't view them!
However, shortly after I got an email saying it was Warwick who want to interview me (woo!). I thought I was going to have to spend the rest of the day wondering who the offer was from, but I've just come home to an email from York, saying it was them! I still can't view what grades it is, or whether it's conditional or not though 😂
Hi everyone :smile: has anyone got any more offers/interviews? I woke up this morning to an email saying that I had an offer and a interview, but UCAS Track was down so I couldn't view them!
However, shortly after I got an email saying it was Warwick who want to interview me (woo!). I thought I was going to have to spend the rest of the day wondering who the offer was from, but I've just come home to an email from York, saying it was them! I still can't view what grades it is, or whether it's conditional or not though 😂

Congratulations! Well done, that's fabulous. Guess I could be seeing you at York next year if I don't get to Cambridge! It's probably going to be my second choice.
Reply 17
Thank you so much :smile: and it would be so weird if that actually happened!
Hi,
It's great that there's finally a thread for us HoA applicants :smile:
I was wondering what you guys have done in terms of extra curricular stuff? And also what books you've read?

Im applying for UCl, Courtuald, Warwick, York and Sussex. In terms of going to the Courtuald, I went to the summer school there and I recommend it completely. It's totally unique and has a great atmosphere, we didn't have any student lectures but I guess depends on the modules you do.
Reply 19
Everyone sounds like everything is going to plan! Ive applied to Oxford, Bristol,Nottingham, Birmingham and Warwick, with my predicted grades being A* A* A* A, and ive so far had an offer from Bristol, interview from warwick and two unconditional offers from Birmingham and Nottingham, along with a scholarship!

Has anyone else got an invitation for the Warwick Art History day/i interview thing? im so confused as to where we go etc?!!? someone please help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending