The Student Room Group

Is it best to buy a "nice" car when young?! or wait.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bill_Gates
Honestly?! i do like reliability. Can you back this up with stats? or is it personal experience :tongue:

I had a Toyota carolla t-sport back in the day. The engine exploded (literally). No car will ever be 100% reliable, Toyota or no Toyota.

Just go with what makes you happy, I used to spend 2.5k a year on insurance when I was 19 so I guess you can tell which I went with!
Original post by DrID
I had a Toyota carolla t-sport back in the day. The engine exploded (literally). No car will ever be 100% reliable, Toyota or no Toyota.

Just go with what makes you happy, I used to spend 2.5k a year on insurance when I was 19 so I guess you can tell which I went with!

I find this to be the case too. If it's a lemon, it's a lemon!
Original post by DrID

Sorry to hear about that.
Those engines were the ones made by Yamaha, it revs like hell 8.5K rpms. Expect it to be worn soon as they have weak headers, sadly :frown: Seriously I have a nissan with vq35de engine on it and it broke all the engine mounts while it had only 50k miles. I never ever had any issues with my dad's Toyota Hilux, 600k miles on the meter :smile: , Hoping to get a million on it :biggrin:. I guess their trucks are built better than cars though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
I won't ever need to buy one cause I won't be driving.

Or invest it somewhere else? what would you do?

Personally I think I would buy a modest car, and if I wanted something to play with, then would just buy a super bike or similar. Only way I would buy a good car was if it was second hand and I knew an awful lot about cars as to maintain and fix it etc.
Original post by hellodave5
Personally I think I would buy a modest car, and if I wanted something to play with, then would just buy a super bike or similar. Only way I would buy a good car was if it was second hand and I knew an awful lot about cars as to maintain and fix it etc.

What type of bike :tongue:
What type of bike :tongue:

Ducati or something ^^
My first car is an 07 plate mk5 golf 1.9tdi it's pretty nice. and honestly if i'm paying more than £1000 to insure a car i'm not going to buy some piece of ****. buy a decent first car!
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Cool
It is a BMW E30 series i want

Buy one for cheap on line for spares or repairs or whatever and I'll fix it up for you, that way it will be built to last and save you thousands of £'s
Original post by I love life
Buy one for cheap on line for spares or repairs or whatever and I'll fix it up for you, that way it will be built to last and save you thousands of £'s

Cool :smile:
But i wouldnt buy a car for like 4-5 years :smile:

You're not a mechanic, remember.

Or invest it somewhere else? what would you do?

Personally id wait a bit before getting something better. After a couple of years, your insurance will have come down to a more reasonable price, you will have a bit more money etc. And in your first couple of years or so, most people have a couple of scrapes etc, and you would rather it happen in a cheaper car than something really good/expensive.
Original post by Emma:-)
Personally id wait a bit before getting something better. After a couple of years, your insurance will have come down to a more reasonable price, you will have a bit more money etc. And in your first couple of years or so, most people have a couple of scrapes etc, and you would rather it happen in a cheaper car than something really good/expensive.

Not you again ?!

The girl who owns or owned a crappy Micra and loves to boss us around !

Its been a while, but I remember thee
Original post by shaymarriott
You're not a mechanic, remember.

Oh yeah, psttttttttt

×× wipes away tears from eyes, realises the truth of the situation,
Reply 54
Original post by hellodave5

Can we carpool? I promise I'll wash your car as a form of my appreciation :tongue:
If you have an extraordinary passion for cars - yes.

If not - no.
Not you again ?!

The girl who owns or owned a crappy Micra and loves to boss us around !

Its been a while, but I remember thee

Whats your problem, I'm only giving advice.
Whats your problem, I'm only giving advice.

Your a bully. That's my problem
Your a bully. That's my problem

I'm not though, am i
I'm not though, am i

No, just messing with you, rofl

Quick Reply

Latest