The Student Room Group

Surely I'm not the only lonley F*

Well my playlist went onto all american reject - move along.....

Well had a moment, how many other 20 something lonely f*'s do we have out there?

Tbh since leaving uni I'm the most active ever, fair few mates, but it just doesn't seem to be happening! *sigh*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanB1991
Well my playlist went onto all american reject - move along.....

Well had a moment, how many other 20 something lonely f*'s do we have out there?

Tbh since leaving uni I'm the most active ever, fair few mates, but it just doesn't seem to be happening! *sigh*

It'll probably happen when you least expect it.
Reply 2
Original post by Hachik0

Tbh it most likely is not :lol:
Tbh it most likely is not :lol:

I know. Just trying to get your hopes up :colondollar:

No but seriously there are a lot more lonely people out there than we think.
I'm confused, is this thread about craving sex?
Reply 5
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
I'm confused, is this thread about craving sex?

Ohh i wish it was :colonhash:
Reply 6
Original post by Hachik0

yes tbh
My ex boyfriend broke up with me and I was distraught for months and was desperately trying to find someone new. After 7 months I finally decided I did not need a boyfriend and I was happy being single and independent and BAM met an amazing guy the very next day and been seeing him for the last month.

Things happen when you stop looking.
Reply 8
I agree with the above post
When you stop thinking you need something, the universe, God, fate whatever you want to call it. Will give you what you deserve...
That's the thing! I feel like there's so much pressure on us (20 something olds) to get into a relationship cause we see so many of our friends getting into one or have been in their relationship for years. It's just annoying!

I feel like I get knocked down round after round when it comes to dating and people just keep saying "you'll find the one" and etc, but it just feels like time's running out. Like, how many frogs do you have to kiss for heaven's sake?

People also keep saying "stop looking for one"... so I did that, then a guy came... and now after 2 months, he ended it with me last night because he wasn't ready... I just felt like "****, I was so close to getting what I wanted and now it's all gone!"

I'm sure it will be our time very soon! We will just have to wait and be patient! But I feel you OP!
Original post by Anonymous
My ex boyfriend broke up with me and I was distraught for months and was desperately trying to find someone new. After 7 months I finally decided I did not need a boyfriend and I was happy being single and independent and BAM met an amazing guy the very next day and been seeing him for the last month.

I've not been looking for 5 years.
@DanB1991

Sorry for this off topic comment, but what is a f*?

Spoiler

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I feel like I get knocked down round after round when it comes to dating and people just keep saying "you'll find the one" and etc, but it just feels like time's running out. Like, how many frogs do you have to kiss for heaven's sake?

Quite a few. :hugs:

The tough part is not becoming jaded or cynical about the whole thing. Every relationship you learn something new about yourself and what you want, so you're better prepared for next time. If you want a relationship and you want to commit and you're willing to make the compromises and you know what red flags to avoid then you will find someone :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
@DanB1991

Sorry for this off topic comment, but what is a f*?

Spoiler

Quite a few. :hugs:

The tough part is not becoming jaded or cynical about the whole thing. Every relationship you learn something new about yourself and what you want, so you're better prepared for next time. If you want a relationship and you want to commit and you're willing to make the compromises and you know what red flags to avoid then you will find someone :smile:

I've kissed a lot - in terms of been on a million dates but it's the "there's no romantic connection there sorry" or "i'm not looking for what you're looking for". Rejection is not a nice thing and I can t ake a few, but when that "few" becomes "a few too many" you just don't know what to do how to handle that constant yearning for something to go right!

Yes, I think I know what to avoid: guys who make false promises and whispers sweet nothings into my ear. But that's the thing if a new guy did that would I be like "fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice shame on me" approach or is it like "oh man, this is it - this is what i've been waiting for". The fear of both is that it could end up side ways.

I just can't take it anymore. I want a partner, but I feel like if I didn't date and have dating apps, I'd never find him! :/
I've kissed a lot - in terms of been on a million dates but it's the "there's no romantic connection there sorry" or "i'm not looking for what you're looking for". Rejection is not a nice thing and I can t ake a few, but when that "few" becomes "a few too many" you just don't know what to do how to handle that constant yearning for something to go right!

Yes, I think I know what to avoid: guys who make false promises and whispers sweet nothings into my ear. But that's the thing if a new guy did that would I be like "fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice shame on me" approach or is it like "oh man, this is it - this is what i've been waiting for". The fear of both is that it could end up side ways.

I just can't take it anymore. I want a partner, but I feel like if I didn't date and have dating apps, I'd never find him! :/

I feel you! Do you think you're putting too much emotional investment in dates early on?

Dating apps are a blessing but also a curse in some ways. On the one hand you meet loads of people who are likely to be good matches for you (I can't imagine leaving it up to chance any more) which is really important, especially given that opportunities to meet people are less once you've left uni, but at the same time you open yourself up to loads of rejection. If it's getting too much then it's worth taking a break from it all I think.

Sorry you're feeling down about it at the moment :frown:
I feel you! Do you think you're putting too much emotional investment in dates early on?

Dating apps are a blessing but also a curse in some ways. On the one hand you meet loads of people who are likely to be good matches for you (I can't imagine leaving it up to chance any more) which is really important, especially given that opportunities to meet people are less once you've left uni, but at the same time you open yourself up to loads of rejection. If it's getting too much then it's worth taking a break from it all I think.

Sorry you're feeling down about it at the moment :frown:

Yeah, he said to me yesterday he just wasn't ready for one, despite him saying stuff - he led me on. My friends said he was, but I wanted to believe he wanted what I wanted, which was to be together.

Yes, I have these images of what could be if we were together when I go on dates. But am very guarded at the same time. But with this one (saw him for 2 months), I really thought i was getting someone so I did let down my guard for only this to happen! :/

I feel compelled to not leave the apps. I deleted them for 3 weeks before going to uni, but because these apps re basd on how close they are, I don't want to miss out! It's very annoying!

NY resolution: become Miss Havisham!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

Similar things have happened to me, but the people I meet in those situations seem to be the completely wrong type of person for me in the long run. :/

Trying not to be cynical but I've since learned not to trust potential partners, even after a year or two because odds are they'll hurt you out of the blue. Also don't let girls take advantage of you... which I know may sound weird but it has happen to me via ex partners or potential partners. Although the main positive thing I've learned over the last 7 or so years is don't take people for granted.

*snip*

Oh I always get dragged along for a few dates and then also get the whole "there's no romantic connection", "I'm not looking for a relationship atm". First time it happened I was actually getting ready for a 3rd or 4th date (this one looked really promising) which was made all the more awkward that she kept trying to get with me on nights out for the next 3 months.... second time I'd actually been seeing this girl for 3 months, she just came out there was no romantic connection and just wanted the sex.... which seeing I had to travel 1-2 hours to see her I most defiantly was not willing to do (nor is it what I wanted then or now).

Dating apps are a complete curse for me atm, talk to so many girls who seem like great matches only for them to not respond randomly a few days or a few weeks in. Met up with one girl who seemed amazing bar very shy, had 3 extremely good dates but after that it was just a massive uphill struggle.

Thing is I'm quite sensible now myself, I know simply getting with a girl or having a date or two doesn't mean much, but when you may of already known the person for a while, or actually been on a fair few dates and out of the blue get some excuse it feels like that time has been a complete waste. And it hasn't happened just once or twice, it's happened around 6-7 times in the last year and a half. And I'm not talking about people I've met via apps, who in all honesty I've normally only meet up with once or twice before not feeling it. These people generally were people I either knew or met via friends and actually invested quite a bit of time into.

Now I'm back from uni, living in the countryside the opportunity is non-existent to meet someone.

I had a fairly good social life when I was at uni but everyone left and just forgot about me. Nowadays I live alone and my social life consists of going to work and speaking to one person on WhatsApp (who lives 300 miles away). I met up with a friend on Thursday and it was the first time i'd even spoken to another person outside of work in over 3 months.

I'll never get a girlfriend and to be honest it looks like i'll never get any friends either.
Reply 17
Original post by sr90
I had a fairly good social life when I was at uni but everyone left and just forgot about me. Nowadays I live alone and my social life consists of going to work and speaking to one person on WhatsApp (who lives 300 miles away). I met up with a friend on Thursday and it was the first time i'd even spoken to another person outside of work in over 3 months.

I'll never get a girlfriend and to be honest it looks like i'll never get any friends either.

Has a girl EVER (and i mean ever) shown interest in you? In any way.
Original post by exObese
Has a girl EVER (and i mean ever) shown interest in you? In any way.

Not really, i've never been on a date or anything. I've kissed a few people whilst incredibly drunk but that's it.

You'd think being friends with a load of girls would make it easy to meet someone as they could introduce you to their friends, tell you what you need to change in yourself etc but nope.
Original post by sr90
Not really, i've never been on a date or anything. I've kissed a few people whilst incredibly drunk but that's it.

You'd think being friends with a load of girls would make it easy to meet someone as they could introduce you to their friends, tell you what you need to change in yourself etc but nope.

Join the club.

Only kissed one girl while drunk. Then again I am not too bothered other than getting lonely every so often being single has its perks where I can just chill. I suppose it helps being an introvert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending