The Student Room Group

DET (DTLLS) and QTS

DET (DTLLS) leads to QTLS which is apparently equivalent to QTS which means you can teach in schools.

DET is a 2 year course similar to the PGCE but is there any advantage doing the DET graduate route over the DET non-graduate route if it leads to the same qualification?

Also would somebody with QTS be more favoured over somebody with QTLS or are they true equivalents?

Thank youuuuu
Det and pgce have the same outcome: you can apply for qtls and teaching jobs in college.

I'm currently going through the same research. I think you can go straight onto a pgce as a graduate and get the funding from student finance. With det i am finding that a lot of colleges require you to have done aet and cet to get onto the course. This can be advantageous if you're struggling to find a part time pgce because the aet/cet/det route is more part time in a lot of colleges.

I've heard from some people that the pgce is more academic than the det but they have the same outcome so I'm not that bothered.

With a secondary school pgce you cam teach in secondary school or college. With the post sixteen pgce some secondary schools might not accept you. The pgce secondary is more versatile I guess but it depends what your end goal is.
I also looked at this as a route to do while I was doing a part time degree. I got quite a lot of feedback that although in legality terms QTLS & QTS are equal (you can even work in secondary schools now with QTLS) employers still want QTS.

Quick Reply

Latest